how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Extrin

join:2013-05-28
Brampton, ON

[Extreme Plus] Change in Speed After Acquiring New Rogers Modem

Alright, so originally we were on the extreme plan back when it was only 25 mb/sec dl and 1mb/sec upload, and I conducted a few speed tests during that time which blew me away.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1784506198.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/1784550066.png
Clearly, the speed tests show that I surpassed the 25 mb/sec dl speed that I was supposed to get, while perhaps not a huge deal (probably a glitch in the system or something), it was still nice. Then in order to take advantage of the new 120 gb bandwidth deal that came with the change to the extreme plan, we switched our modem with a DOCSIS 3.0. Shortly after that we upgraded into the extreme plus plan as well. Anyway, the point is that after the modem change I conducted a few speed tests which turned out to be quite shocking.
»www.speedtest.net/result/2738110561.png
»www.speedtest.net/result/2738133394.png
How could my speed have decreased so much after getting a supposedly new and improved modem? The only thing that improved is the upload speed, but still, I find it shocking that I can't even reach the 20's in dl speed anymore. Something has to be wrong here, any ideas?

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

Re: [Extreme Plus] Change in Speed After Acquiring New Rogers Mo

Speedtest.net isn't the most reliable on the planet. It's always best to try different speedtest sites before drawing any conclusions. Try this (pretty accurate): »speedtest.sourcecable.ca/

I won't get into Rogers so called "new and improved" Docsis 3 modem, the infamous Hitron saga. There's plenty of other threads here expanding on that.

Corbin

@rogers.com
reply to Extrin

Did you contact support to get the modem checked out?

Everytime I have a change, the modem code page/firmware is not updated and the speed is wrong. They can update check the modem and update it.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Extrin

Are you testing over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, are you using your own router or the router built into the modem which really is a POS and might explain those speeds.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

said by yyzlhr:

Are you testing over a wired or wireless connection? If wireless, are you using your own router or the router built into the modem which really is a POS and might explain those speeds.

yyzlhr, did you actually use the term "POS" to describe some of Rogers hardware? Welcome to the Dark Side my friend.........

Extrin

join:2013-05-28
Brampton, ON
reply to yyzlhr

I'm testing over a wired connection and using my own router since I agree that the router built into the modem is a POS...

I'm starting to wonder if it would be better to just return to the d2 modem, but I don't think it is be able to support these new increased speeds, right?

vincom

join:2009-03-06
Bolton, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable

disable modems router functions so it will be just a modem then connect it directly to ur comp to test, if not getting advertised speed call rogers tech support, you will get first level support which sucks but hopefully they bump u up to 2nd tier support