All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jong
join:2010-07-19

Jong

Bricked my Asus RT-N16 -- need help

I upgraded from 18Mbps to 45Mbps with Start. For some reason, my router was still giving me the 18Mbps DL.

Start's Technical Support suggested I restore factory setting for the router. Being on Toastman Tomato, I decided to update my RT-N16's Toastman Tomato FW from 2011 to Shibby's latest FW tomato-K26USB-1.28.RT-MIPSR1-109-VPN.

I went through Tomato's administration screen for the upgrade, and well - bricked my router.

I then followed the instructions here with Asus' latest FW.

I got excited - the FW uploaded, and progress bar, well progressed, albeit slowly.

But after 99%, it claims to have failed the connection to the router:

I tried the author's suggestion with 192.168.0.1, but it didn't even upload the FW.

Next, I tried the instructions here (still with Asus' FW).

Similar results - I get the upgrading flash bar but it just disappears and goes on to the next attempt. And all subsequent retries just fails.

For both cases, when I power up the router with the RESTORE button pressed, the power LED will flash slowly. But midway through updating - it either lits still or unlit.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I really need this router up and running. I have an ADSL modem/router, but unfortunately I can only get that working as an AP with another router.
Jong

Jong

I used dd-wrt mini FW with tftp2 and it worked. Now loading Asus' own latest FW. Phew.