kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS

1 edit

[BETA] Opera 15 for Computers [15.0.1147.17] - stable release

A first peek at Opera 15 for Computers
Opera Developer News - Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 6:00:00 AM
quote:
Hot on the heels of the release of Opera 14 for Android (based on Chromium 26), here's a first peek at our all new Opera for Computers. It's called Opera Next 15 and it's based on Chromium 28 — which means that it comes with Blink on board — but as it's an evergreen browser with a fast release cycle, we don't recommend reading too much into the digits — it's what's in it that counts!

This is a stable build — we've been using it as our main browser for a while now —, but it isn't the final release - you can expect rapid updates in the weeks to come. Note that this Next build is available for Windows and Mac. A Linux version is coming later, but we wanted as many people to have a peek as soon as possible.
So what's new? ... »my.opera.com/ODIN/blog/
Opera Desktop Team: Opera Next 15 Released!
After a busy Winter here in the Desktop department at Opera we are finally ready to lift the covers of the latest preview of the next generation of our Web browsers. Today we are releasing Opera Next 15 for Windows and Mac. For all the latest information on the features head on over to the product information page. If you just can't wait grab the builds from the links below: »my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/op···released

Changelog (unified): »www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unified/1500n/
--
Gladiator Security Forum

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Re: [BETA] Opera 15 for Computers [15.0.1147.17] - stable releas

Well we'll finally get to see what the webkit Opera will be like. Will it be okay, or will I be returning to my old standby, Seamonkey? Guess I'll find out today...
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
Disgusting.

That is my only comment. I know this is only a snapshot release, but if this is anything like the upcoming final version, then I will be moving to another browser. They removed every reason why I use opera. From the email client, to mouse gestures, notes, panels, bookmarks, right click+scroll through tabs, and MDI!

To make matters worse, the infinite customizability that got me hooked on opera in the first place is lost too. This isn't Opera. It looks more like a second rate version of Chrome. I really, really hope this is just a super-premature release that will soon add back all of the great features that make Opera what it is. As it stands now, this is just silly.
--
Spread Opera! The fast, sleek, and feature-rich browser! »opera.com

Ryan
Premium
join:2001-03-03
Braintree, MA
reply to sivran
Seriously? If they removed everything why use it over Chrome? I really don't understand the move they made, personally I think they shot themselves in the foot (or maybe head?). I feel like they just gave up and for no reason..

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to Rob A
Mouse gestures aren't gone. I tried it briefly at work -- didn't even use it long enough to use a mouse gesture but I saw them still in the now-ultra sparse settings.

The thing that got me -- and I am by no means a speed snob, I'm a SeaMonkey fan ffs -- was that it was slow, at least on my work computer. Will try again at home but if it's the same way at home -- and I mean slower than using SSH tunneled RDP to my home desktop slow -- I think I'm gonna be looking at other browsers.

I hope it was just something to do with my work laptop or work network or something...
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Rob A
Avoiding Opera 15
Premium
join:2005-01-17
Pompton Plains, NJ

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by sivran:

Mouse gestures aren't gone. I tried it briefly at work -- didn't even use it long enough to use a mouse gesture but I saw them still in the now-ultra sparse settings.

The basic ones are still there, but many of the advanced gestures (the less common ones, not just simply back and forward) are mostly missing, and I don't see a why to customize and add my own gestures like I have done in my current v12.15, as it has been since I switched to opera back when v7.6 was out.

I'm really hoping that this is literally a bare-bones snapshot to just test the new rendering engine. This browser just simply isn't Opera.

edit - After reading the latest entry on the Opera Desktop Team's blog here: »my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/ it seems they plan on adding more of the old features in the upcoming snapshot releases of v15. This is a good sign, I just hope they are able integrate everything that has made Opera my browser of choice for the last 8 years.
--
Spread Opera! The fast, sleek, and feature-rich browser! »opera.com

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to chachazz

Re: [BETA] Opera 15 for Computers [15.0.1147.17]

Perusal of the developers' responses in the Opera desktop blog indicate that they intend adding back features gradually over successive updates. However, they stated that not all previous Opera features will/can be added. Highly ominous for me is their other comments that Speed Dial (with 1-level "folders") and "Stash" are replacing bookmarks.

The version 15 which they issued as a preview does not have any provision for bookmarks, per se, and the "importation" feature that is supposed to convert older bookmarks files to speed dials and/or stash entries appears not to be functional at present. Since I have an extremely sophisticated system of ~850 bookmarks with many, many folders and subfolders (3 or 4 deep) built and maintained over many years that I consult much like using a filing cabinet, this simply will not work with version 15's handful of speed dials (with folders only 1 deep) and a stored batch of saved last-used page views (which is what stash is). Storage required for stash runs 1.5 Mb or more for each entry, compared with a couple of lines per bookmark in the old bookmarks.adr which add only a few bytes.

There is an enormous amount of "hate and discontent" at the loss of features in the Opera desktop blog at the moment - they picked up over a thousand comments (mostly negative) in the first day after issuing the preview. A lot of these revolve around Opera's stripping out the M2 eMail program into a separate client (though that doesn't impact me, since I've never used it).

Only time will tell what features reappear within this product over coming months, and whether they will be anything like what they used to be. Right now, things are looking somewhat grim. Personally, I'm currently trialing a variety of other browser brands just in case... though there are very few products as readily and deeply customizable as Opera has been, at the user interface level.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
I've been using Pale Moon (a 64 bit Firefox build) daily for a few months now and find it fairly agreeable. It's unfortunate that tab closure behavior doesn't work properly without an extension, but oh well.

Stash actually sounds like something I could use at work. Currently I use Firefox for all my log analysis and research and use Firefox's tab groups to keep my 30ish tabs organized on a per-case basis. With stash I could probably actually close those tabs instead of leaving them open. Hmmm.

I'm running OperaKit right now and fortunately, the speed issue seems to have been something related to my work computer or network. It seems fine here at home. Maybe if bookmarks come back, along with the customization features Opera's known for, I might still be using Opera next year.

I'm gonna have to change my avatar, sig, and title, aren't I...
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Buddel
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Premium
join:2004-03-06
EU
reply to Rob A

Re: [BETA] Opera 15 for Computers [15.0.1147.17] - stable releas

said by Rob A:

Disgusting.

This word perfectly reflects my feeling toward these "innovations". Is it time to look for an alternative browser? If so, what would you guys and gals use as a good alternative?

PS: IE and Firefox are out of the question for me. All suggestions welcome.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Rob A
Opera has ALWAYS been one of my favorite browsers.
After hearing all about their decision to drop Presto... I have to wonder why? Does this really make sense to do? What will become of Presto? Why not choose Gecko over Webkit (Blink)? I would like to know the reasons behind this.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
It was announced months ago.
»news.softpedia.com/news/Why-Oper···92.shtml

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
I guess then it would make sense that Opera went with WebKit over Gecko as WebKit is used on a lot of mobile smart phones. I wonder what will happen to Presto?

MeDuZa

join:2003-06-13
Austria

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
Farewell Opera?
An interesting reading. There is also a poll and the results aren't surprising.
--
Reality corrupted. Reboot universe? (Y/N)

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
I took that poll too yesterday.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
reply to chachazz
Opera has become my least favorite browser in the last year......behind Firefox and SwIron.

It used to be a unique and different browser but now,it's just too much of a PITA to get it to work properly on certain sites.

Especially with flash.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

MeDuZa

Austria

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
Click for full size
A hidden message for pissed off Opera users?
--

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
Have to love how that comment survived the compiling process, when I used to make programs that contained anything sensitive to the program I would take the long route of using the code to combine the character symbols together as a string from their character numbers so people couldn't just view the hex to pull out the information.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to Dustyn
quote:
If you switch: Which browser are you going to use in the future?
I'm not sure yet.

I've been finding PaleMoon (and by extension, Firefox) mostly agreeable lately (and I used to hate it, everything between versions 1.5 and 4.0). Maybe that... Definitely not Iron, Chromium, or Chrome. Back to SeaMonkey, that old warhorse? Maybe? I just donno.

I had hoped that OperaKit would be a nigh-invisible under-the-hood change.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
quote:
Definitely not Iron
Why,it's a great browser without all the Google crap?
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
Chromium-derivatives lack features I want.

Also, the Ctrl+Tab behavior cannot be changed.

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN

2 edits
reply to sivran
I'm debating whether or not to switch from Opera to SeaMonkey... or to Firefox. I abandoned Firefox years back when it was in it's 2.x stage. I replaced it with the Mozilla Suite... only to have that die out a little later. SeaMonkey... I didn't learn about until a few years ago. It looks like a very worthy replacement to the Mozilla Suite and seems to support a wide array of add-ons like Firefox does. Not nearly as many but a fair amount! The Mozilla Suite and SeaMonkey are MUCH more than just a browser. I just can't decide between the two that I have narrowed down.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

...I've done all my experimenting to date w/ these BETAS/ releases
BoC is now PaleMoon

Opera is my test browser of choice for many things work related as well as here, therefore I do appreciate the updates & changelogs nonetheless...

So thanks chazzy for the info.
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
said by lilhurricane:

...I've done all my experimenting to date w/ these BETAS/ releases
BoC is now PaleMoon

Opera is my test browser of choice for many things work related as well as here, therefore I do appreciate the updates & changelogs nonetheless...

So thanks chazzy for the info.

I love Opera too... I'm just worried about what it might turn into. We don't need another Chromium based browser... do we?
Also, what do you think of SeaMonkey? It FEELS a bit dated (by default | although it's really not),
however there are so many extensions and tweaks you can utilize to create a customized browser that works for you.
Even more so than Opera. This I find very appealing!
The same can also be said about Firefox, however it's missing a mail client, chat, html editor and others. Things you need to obtain separately.
--

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I'd vote "no" on your first question ....

And FF & SeaMonkey are mostly reviewed /discussed in our Mozilla forum...
But...we've stayed the course here in Software with Opera...it has it's grandfathered place right here...

"BoC" referring to "Browser of Choice"

I mostly advise to explore all options (as I often do)

..then based on compatibility and comparable features factor...and then actual use. Then lastly (and important) defining and reasserting my own choices.

It's a ol' say'n' we refer to often:
It's all "based upon personal preference"

We are all so unique...with our own levels of what's acceptable & usable. There's really no "best" or "#1"

..it's what works for each of us, and that has to be respected.
--
~Safe Hex~ Team Discovery ~ Project Hope ~ Like A Hurricane~

MeDuZa

Austria
reply to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

I love Opera too... I'm just worried about what it might turn into.

Opera was and still is my primary browser for more than a decade. No love affair with Opera here but appreciation for an excellent browser that suited my needs so well. I will probably continue to use Opera 12.15 at least for a year or even longer. At the same time I will have to take a closer look at FF which is my secondary browser.
Opera 15 is a totally different browser, on the surface and under the hood. Not a viable option, not for me at least.
--

jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
I think I need to go back to 12.14 so it stops re-setting my startpage default search every time I restart Opera. I need something that can handle 100+ tabs for years on end effectively. I'm trying FF17ESR with some extensions to try and fix tab handling and sessions, but it's pretty clunky compared to Opera 12.x ... The tabs start scrolling off the side rather than resizing...

I may well have to look at seamonkey as I do need an e-mail client, and Thunderbird post 2.x just doesn't feel / work right for me. Opera M2 is ... OK .. like I live with it in 12.x, but it's not great. I don't really want to buy a mail client, but I may have to... IDK. At least it looks like the old Netscape 4.x which I always found to work really well UI wise for me. Does anyone know if it does tabs, adblock+, ghostery and some sort of recently closed windows / tabs?
--
Opera 11.1; Windows XP Pro SP3;Intel C2Q6600; 3GB DDR2 1066; 1M/128k DSL; Comodo Internet Security 5.3;Proxomitron 4.5j Sidki 2009-06-06,GPG ID:0x0A1C6EE3

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX

1 recommendation

A lot of the most popular Firefox extensions are also compatible with SeaMonkey. I think I used to run TabMixPlus on SeaMonkey to provide the extra tab features that really should just be built-in anyway. Adblock definitely works. Donno about Ghostery, never used it.

Last time I used SeaMonkey it did not have Private Windows, unless they've added that since Firefox has it. I don't think anything has Private Tabs like Opera.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
Reviews:
·TELUS
Sound off! What are the top 3 missing things from the new Opera?
»my.opera.com/haavard/blog/2013/0···-missing
--
Gladiator Security Forum

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
Reviews:
·TELUS

Opera Next 15.0.1147.56
Wednesday, June 12, 2013
quote:
In this build, we have included the ability to try out Opera Next migrating your Opera 12 profile to Opera Next 15. History, cookies, speed dial, bookmarks and some settings (passwords, search engines) will be copied from Opera 12 profile.

If you had bookmarks in your Opera 12 profile they will be available in the Bookmark Importer. It's located in menu, under "More tools" on Windows and under the "Window" menu on Mac.

Note: that if you choose to migrate your profile from Opera 12, your previous profile for Opera Next 15 will be lost.

Please test it and tell us how it goes smile And have a nice weekend!
Opera Desktop Team: »my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/20···resh-air
--
Gladiator Security Forum

Dustyn
Premium
Ontario, CAN
reply to sivran
Yup.
Switched to SeaMonkey last week and I'm loving it so far.
Ghostery does indeed work and it supports SeaMonkey. AdBlock/Plus works along with NoScript, but there is no in private browsing... not a big deal for myself. Just getting used to the unusual fact that SeaMonkey tabs have no tab "x" close button. I'm fine middle clicking my scroll wheel to close the tab. Having the "x" close button on the far right is a bit old school.
--