All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
gatorbait
join:2013-04-10

gatorbait

[Phone] BHN VoIP adapter models?

Was curious what model VoIP adapters you guys have with BHN? I have a Cisco 2203c. The device works when hooked up via coax from the cable feed into my house.

I would, however, like to hook this up like I have my Vonage VOIP adapter, which is via cat5 off of my router. When I remove the coax from the BHN modem and hang it off of my switch or router, it stops working.

Does anyone have a BHN adapter hooked up this way?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

No... our phone service is delivered through MTA's only.
gatorbait

gatorbait

Sorry, all I found was Mail/Message Transfer Agent? Is that what MTA stands for?

Also, what the Ethernet port of the back of the adapter used for?

Milkman0
join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0

Multimedia Terminal Adapter.

Typically I believe the ethernet port is used for people that use their MTA modem, as their High Speed Internet modem as well, whereas you would connect your own router to that port.
gatorbait

gatorbait

Interesting, thanks....is there any reason then I need 2 BHN modems? Can I just use the VOIP adapter for my phone and internet and get rid of 1 device?

Milkman0
join:2011-03-10
Brooksville, FL

Milkman0

I have two modems as well, and I actually like having two modems, so I don't know for sure. The last I heard you could have 1 modem if you had up to a certain internet speed, and after that you were forced to upgrade because the modem couldn't support the higher speed internet tiers (DOCSIS 3.0).

My information may be dated so I will let someone who is more in the know than I am respond for sure.
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to gatorbait

Premium Member

to gatorbait
In some situations the two modem solution is a better fit for the customer. Just depends on what the tech determined or had available at that moment.