Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[CDV] They're back

Was at my usual frequent trip to my favorite store (Best Buy) and I noticed some Arris TM722 voice/data modems in Xfinity packaging at the Best Buy at Holyoke Mall.

I like Comcast's voice offering as it has more features but considering I have an alarm system, I think I'll stick to a traditional telephone line.

No they're not $39.99, they must have just got them in as they don't have a shelf tag.

Maybe Comcast is steering away from the modem rental business.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 recommendation

said by IowaCowboy:

Was at my usual frequent trip to my favorite store (Best Buy) and I noticed some Arris TM722 voice/data modems in Xfinity packaging at the Best Buy at Holyoke Mall.

I like Comcast's voice offering as it has more features but considering I have an alarm system, I think I'll stick to a traditional telephone line.
[att=1]
No they're not $39.99, they must have just got them in as they don't have a shelf tag.

Maybe Comcast is steering away from the modem rental business.

Doubtful. They make loads of money off those 7 a month rental. It is both hopeful and saddening that Best Buy is still carrying 722Gs. They should've moved onto 822 by now.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
The $7 per month rental also adds costs as well such as inventory management, customer service (hey I own my modem, stop charging me rent), and so forth.

If they were to end modem rental, they would also have reduced overhead (its not our problem, go out and buy another modem). And they would have less issues with written off equipment (unreturned, fried by lightning, failed equipment).

Set-tops are built to withstand being used as rental equipment. Modems are the average throwaway grade consumer electronics.

I am thinking of buying a new modem since mine is having issues and Comcast can't seem to find the problem. I might go for the Motorola SB6141.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
They'll never end rental, as it adds one more step for any new customer to go get their own, and fewer would be willing to "test drive" ComCast.
bumping up to $7 assures they don't lose money on rentals and gives them a shorter payoff/replacement cycle as newer and more complex "modems" (eMTA's, full wireless gateways, multichannel gateways (adds an extra radio for Xfinity wifi) and soon whole house gateways that act as the NID for all triple play plus extra services as they come online.)
Should a basic modem be less? Maybe but I could see them only renting high end ones and subs able to add/authorize extra services on demand without changing any boxes. Plus if you pay and don't notice the difference/understand you can buy your own, you probably aren't a good candidate for customer owned equipment, self-installs or maintaince/monitoring.

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to IowaCowboy
Also the shelf tag says "Vonage" so maybe someone got the bright idea to clear these last few out of the back without knowing the conditions required for sale.