Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Wes C Addle
Man Of The Hour

join:2003-07-28
Canada

FTTN service at my FTTH house?

I have FTTH but it seems no provider other than Bell is able to provide service to my house. Many 3rd party providers are offering attractive FTTN plans now but it seems I can't get service from them. Is it because I have FTTH that I cannot get the FTTN plans or am I just in a neighbourhood that is not yet servicable? Can anyone explain? Thanks.

despe666

join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC

If it's a new neighborhood or tower (if a condo), they probably didn't even run copper at all, so there is no way for the indies to connect you in FTTN. If you're willing to bundle, not many indies can beat the Fibe 50/50 for 50$ + unlimited for 10$ though.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Wes C Addle

FTTH is currently not accessible by any other company except the one who ran it.

And yes, if you have a new build and FTTH it could be that there are no copper connections to your location at all...
--
TekSavvy 28/1 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

Wes C Addle
Man Of The Hour

Canada
reply to Wes C Addle

Thanks guys. Right now I have Source Cable (Hamilton) which is 25/2 and unlimited for $64+tx and the best I could get with Bell would be more expensive when I add the $30 for unlimited. Oh well!

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

1 edit

30 bucks for unlimited seems steep whats wrong with paying an extra 10 dollars a month for unlimited?

Really how greedy must you be to fleece us Canadians off all the money we have ooops forgot the share holders are more important then the people who want to be loyal customers but get treated as slaves instead.

despe666

join:2009-06-20
Montreal, QC
reply to Wes C Addle

You need to be willing to bundle and get the 10$ unlimited option for it to become interesting. I agree it's a ripoff but what can we do? :-(

FiberToTheX
Premium
join:2013-03-14
reply to Wes C Addle

No FTTN is available at a FTTH serviced house or area. It is different technology since FTTN is Copper to RDSLAM then Fiber to CO.

FTTH is Fiber to PON Splitter to CO.

Wes C Addle
Man Of The Hour

Canada
reply to DanteX

said by DanteX:

30 bucks for unlimited seems steep whats wrong with paying an extra 10 dollars a month for unlimited?

Really how greedy must you be to fleece us Canadians off all the money we have ooops forgot the share holders are more important then the people who want to be loyal customers but get treated as slaves instead.

Yeah I have no Bell services (although 2 Virgin Mobile lines, not sure if those would qualify in a Bell bundle) so it would be $30 to add unlimited which makes it about $20 more than what I am paying. If it was a straight up $10 add-on I would hop on it.

DanteX

join:2010-09-09
kudos:1

Its funny back in 1998 or 1999 back when Rogers was in Vancouver, we got @home service something like 1mbit down things were great but hear we are over 10 years later and stil nothing really has changed speed and price wise.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to Wes C Addle

said by Wes C Addle:

said by DanteX:

Yeah I have no Bell services (although 2 Virgin Mobile lines, not sure if those would qualify in a Bell bundle) so it would be $30 to add unlimited which makes it about $20 more than what I am paying. If it was a straight up $10 add-on I would hop on it.

Meh for 50/50 + unlimited is about 80$...

Wes C Addle
Man Of The Hour

Canada

said by kovy See ProfileMeh for 50/50 + unlimited is about 80$...

Well, it's $95 all in without a bundle.

kovy

said by Wes C Addle:

50+4+30... 84 no ? your adding taxes ?

Wes C Addle
Man Of The Hour

Canada

said by kovy:

said by Wes C Addle:

50+4+30... 84 no ? your adding taxes ?

Yes I added taxes.

I wonder when 3rd party providers will be able to service FTTH because the FTTN 25/10 plans are as low as $40+tx which is $25 cheaper than I pay now and less than 1/2 of the 50/50 that I can get with Bell. I'm just trying to save some bucks man

kovy

reply to Wes C Addle

Its going to take time...

FiberToTheX
Premium

said by kovy:

2014/2015 at the earliest according to CRTC plans.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by FiberToTheX:

said by kovy:

Are there plans in place to require incumbents access to FTTH? I thought the CRTC decided that since fibre was not built with government subsidies, there was no requirement for incumbents to share their infrastructure.

FiberToTheX
Premium
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by yyzlhr:

said by FiberToTheX:

said by kovy:

Are there plans in place to require incumbents access to FTTH? I thought the CRTC decided that since fibre was not built with government subsidies, there was no requirement for incumbents to share their infrastructure.

Hearings are supposed to begin sometime in 2014/2015. There was a link on DSLReports perhaps in the TekSavvy forum that further described it.

The original reason for limiting access to FTTH was to encourage deployment and to provide motivation for such a deployment.

Edit: Found the post

»Re: FTTH TPIA?

Quoting Rocca

It's on the CRTC roadmap for next year: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/backgrnd/plan2013.htm

2014-2015: "The CRTC will review whether additional wholesale high-speed access services should be mandated, including Fibre-to-the-Premises facilities. The main goal will be to ensure that the policy facilitates the development of a competitive Canadian broadband market, while balancing the incentives to invest in innovative networks."

kovy

reply to FiberToTheX

said by FiberToTheX:

said by kovy:

thats just reviewing ? So like I said, a long time.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to Wes C Addle

It's not really critical yet anyhow, more just annoying, since somebody served by Bell FTTH can still use an IISP via cable. So TekSavvy and others aren't completely blocked from serving those customers unless they're also not wired for cable.

It's annoying, and not ideal, and could force some users to switch to cable when they don't want to, but it's not to the point yet where delaying a few years will cause any major issues. Now if the cable companies started refusing wholesale access to their FTTH customers (they have a lot of them, you just don't realize that you're served by FTTH because they use RFoG and the experience inside your home is the same as before), or pushed the fiber the extra few feet to go from box-on-side-of-house to box-inside-house, then we'd start having issues.
--
Latest version of CapSavvy systray usage checker: »CapSavvy v4.2 released!