normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

Dan A

join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit
reply to FifthE1ement

Re: [Content] Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

I wish the X1 Boxes had a second tuner built in for the Picture in Picture function that my Samsung TVs have.

Is their a way I hook HD DTA into my picture in picture and gent HD output to the Picture in Picture?

Important Service Message:
On 3/13/14, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic service on your cable system.
If you have a set-top box, digital adapter (DTA) or a retail CableCARD%u2122 device
connected to each of your TVs, you will be unaffected by this change. However, if you
are currently receiving Comcast's Limited Basic service on any TV without equipment
supplied by Comcast, you will lose the ability to view any channels on that TV.
If you are affected, you should contact Comcast at 1-855-860-8989 to arrange for the
equipment you need to continue receiving your services. In such case, you are entitled
to receive equipment at no additional charge or service fee for a limited period of time.
The number and type of devices you are entitled to receive, and for how long, will vary
depending on your situation:
1) If you are a Limited Basic customer and receive the service on your TV without
Comcast-supplied equipment, you are entitled to up to two devices for two years
(five years if you also receive Medicaid).
2) If you subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on
a secondary TV without Comcast-supplied equipment, you are entitled to one
device for one year.
You can learn more about this equipment offer and eligibility at
comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo or by calling 1-855-860-8989.
To qualify for any equipment at no additional charge or service fee, you must
request your equipment between February 11, 2014 and June 11, 2014 and satisfy
all other eligibility requirements.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

said by Dan A:

I wish the X1 Boxes had a second tuner built in for the Picture in Picture function that my Samsung TVs have.

Is their a way I hook HD DTA into my picture in picture and get HD output to the Picture in Picture?
:

Yeah, I got the same encryption notification in the bill I received back on January 8th. I guess I should see if our local Comcast office (Eatontown, NJ) has got any HD-DTAs in yet.

As far as hooking your HD-DTA to your Samsung TV for PIP, if the PIP input jack is HDMI, then no problem.

But, I'm guessing that's not the case, though. If your TV set has an RGB/Component input for the PIP, then check out this previous thread for ideas: »[Comcast Equip] Poor Coaxial Quality 'Pace DC60Xu HD DTA'

So, you should be able to use an HDMI-to-Component converter box to make the connection, the only concern may be finding a model that supports HDCP if that becomes an issue.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ

I will miss having the unmapped WCAU 10-2 Cozi TV WPHL 17-2 Antenna TV Unlike their New York Counterparts WNBC 4-2 (informercials instead of I SPY) and WPIX 11-2 (Till Death with Brad Garett instead of Mr. Ed) they don't preempt network programing.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Yeah, I got the same encryption notification in the bill I received back on January 8th. I guess I should see if our local Comcast office (Eatontown, NJ) has got any HD-DTAs in yet.

BTW - I stopped into my local Comcast office yesterday and found that they finally got the HD-DTAs in stock. I picked one up and finally got it activated this morning: »Re: [Content] HD DTA

backfeed
is giving feedback

join:2002-12-16
Peru, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to telcodad

So much for having a QAM tuner, North central Indiana was encrypted today....

knew it was coming but it is still frustrating.... what to do now is the question...
--
There are 10 types of people. Those who can read Binary and those who cannot.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Get an HDHR Prime and a cablecard, problem solved. You will have to roll up your own Windows Media Center PC of course, if you don't have one already.

jptdsl

join:2012-11-23
reply to telcodad

I have digital Preferred so I am eligible for one device for a year.
Will that one device get limited basic channels only or will it receive all the channels that I subscribe to?

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by jptdsl:

I have digital Preferred so I am eligible for one device for a year.
Will that one device get limited basic channels only or will it receive all the channels that I subscribe to?

DTAs are normally able to receive/decode all the channels up to and including those in the Digital Starter tier. For Digital Preferred tier subscribers, you may get some extra channels that are also in the Digital Economy or other tiers. See: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ancement

jptdsl

said by telcodad:

DTAs are normally able to receive/decode all the channels up to and including those in the Digital Starter tier. For Digital Preferred tier subscribers, you may get some extra channels that are also in the Digital Economy or other tiers. See: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ancement

After I received the notice, I called the number on the notice and added a cablecard. I was told it would be no charge or fee for a year, but on my bill there is a charge for digital preferred additional outlet fee for the cablecard.

Now comcast is telling me, the promo is only to get limited basic channels and since I have digital preferred tier on the cablecard, I don't qualify.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

The (normal) promo for subs above limited basic - including digital preferred subs - is one DTA FREE for 1 year - NOT cable cards, or any other kind of digital boxes. I'm on Dig Pref & got my FREE DTA with no problems.
You will get all channels up thru digital starter, as well as a few others that are (also) part of the family or hispanic tiers as well.

jptdsl

said by dishrich:

The (normal) promo for subs above limited basic - including digital preferred subs - is one DTA FREE for 1 year - NOT cable cards, or any other kind of digital boxes. I'm on Dig Pref & got my FREE DTA with no problems.
You will get all channels up thru digital starter, as well as a few others that are (also) part of the family or hispanic tiers as well.

Where are you getting that information?
According to the website on the notice. »www.comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo
Every tier is eligible to have either SD-DTA, HD-DTA, or cablecard. No where does it state that tiers higher than limited basic only get SD-DTA.

dishrich

Springfield, IL

4 edits

Well read the 1st sentence I've highlighted from YOUR own link:

quote:
You can obtain a digital adapter from Comcast at no additional monthly charge for a period of time, depending on the level of service. Just call 1-855-860-8989 to order a digital adapter or CableCARD today.
It does NOT specifically say the CC IS eligible to be FREE as well...
And it probably is NOT FREE, specifically because when (normally) get a CC on a secondary outlet, they code it as a full additional outlet charge, w/a CC credit as part of that line item charge. (typically $2.50) Since they are NOT offering ANY full digital boxes as freebies, I'm thinking it's not going to happen on a CC, either.

said by jptdsl:

No where does it state that tiers higher than limited basic only get SD-DTA.

And where did I say SD-DTA? (hint: I DIDN'T)
I said "DTA"; you can get either type on the FREE promo, but they will ONLY give you an HD-DTA on tiers above limited basic, if you ALSO have the HD tech fee on your account. (either as a separate line item, or as part of your pkg) FWIW, my FREE DTA is an HD-DTA...

jptdsl

said by dishrich:

Well read the 1st sentence I've highlighted from YOUR own link:

That might be your problem...

said by dishrich:

It does NOT specifically say the CC IS eligible to be FREE as well...

quote:
I received the offer for a digital adapter at no additional charge in the mail, but I would like an additional CableCARD instead.

Can I get this as part of the offer?
The promotional offer can be used with digital adapters or CableCARDs.
said by dishrich:

...but they will ONLY give you an HD-DTA on tiers above limited basic, if you ALSO have the HD tech fee on your account.

quote:
I would like an HD device instead of an SD device, is this possible?
An HD digital adapter is available upon request with this offer regardless of your service level.
If you don't have concrete information regarding this promo, then you shouldn't state your speculations and opinions as facts. It will only confuse other people. I'm more interested in people's experiences who have added cablecard as their free device.

dishrich

Springfield, IL

said by jptdsl:

I received the offer for a digital adapter at no additional charge in the mail, but I would like an additional CableCARD instead.

Then what WAS the point of your Comcast link, which did NOT say ANY of this...how would I (or anyone else) know what you received in YOUR mailbox?

Do you still have that mail piece & what did the CSR say when you told them about what it says?

jptdsl

said by dishrich:

Then what WAS the point of your Comcast link, which did NOT say ANY of this...how would I (or anyone else) know what you received in YOUR mailbox?

Do you still have that mail piece & what did the CSR say when you told them about what it says?

All the information WAS in that link, under FAQs...

Botfly
Premium
join:2013-10-23
U.S.A

If you have hd and pay for it. Tell the csr that you would like your hd dtas. You can probbably get them mailed to you in a self install kit.

GTFan

reply to jptdsl

said by jptdsl:

After I received the notice, I called the number on the notice and added a cablecard. I was told it would be no charge or fee for a year, but on my bill there is a charge for digital preferred additional outlet fee for the cablecard.

Now comcast is telling me, the promo is only to get limited basic channels and since I have digital preferred tier on the cablecard, I don't qualify.

If all you have is one Cablecard and one DTA, you should not be paying an outlet fee for the DTA. The card is free with service and the DTA is $1.99 a month (after the free year). Please list all the equipment you have, my guess is that you have another box you haven't mentioned.

jptdsl

said by GTFan:

If all you have is one Cablecard and one DTA, you should not be paying an outlet fee for the DTA. The card is free with service and the DTA is $1.99 a month (after the free year). Please list all the equipment you have, my guess is that you have another box you haven't mentioned.

I never stated I have/not have a DTA.
Having other boxes doesn't matter in this case. I added a cablecard per eligibility on the notice where it clearly states no additional charge or service fee.

GTFan

You are incorrect in that assertion, Cablecards are not free just because you got the notice if you have other boxes. Again, please tell us what you have.

jptdsl

said by GTFan:

You are incorrect in that assertion, Cablecards are not free just because you got the notice if you have other boxes. Again, please tell us what you have.

Just stop. All you are doing is confusing other people.

GTFan

1 recommendation

When you get your bill fixed for that 'free' Cablecard be sure to let us know. You're the one that's confused about what they provide.

jptdsl

said by GTFan:

When you get your bill fixed for that 'free' Cablecard be sure to let us know. You're the one that's confused about what they provide.

As far as cablecard being 'free', there's nothing to let you know. It's supposed to be free per notice. You are the one that's not comprehending what is said on the limited basic encryption notice.

GTFan

Yeah like I said, prove it with your bill getting fixed. Good luck with that.

jptdsl

said by GTFan:

Yeah like I said, prove it with your bill getting fixed. Good luck with that.

Why do I need to prove something that's clearly stated in the limited basic encryption notice?

quote:
If you subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on a secondary TV without Comcast-supplied equipment, you are entitled to one device for one year.
quote:

Can I get this as part of the offer?
The promotional offer can be used with digital adapters or CableCARDs.
You are the only person with an unsubstantiated statement.

said by GTFan:

Cablecards are not free just because you got the notice if you have other boxes.

It seems like a lot of people, when they have a seed of idea growing in their mind, they believe that it must be true even when they have no proof to back it up.

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD

In my area the first cable card needed for a box or a TV is provided free, and if you have another TV or box that needs a cable card it is also free, also if you have limited basic their is no charge for HD.

GTFan

Cablecard billing on Comcast is area-dependent and entirely YMMV depending on rep and phase of the moon.

Dan A

Kendall Park, NJ
reply to Dan A

As of today March 13th Comcast of Central New Jersey's Limited Basic channels are now all encrypted.

said by Dan A:

Is their a way I hook HD DTA into my picture in picture and gent HD output to the Picture in Picture?

On 3/13/14, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic service on your cable system.
If you have a set-top box, digital adapter (DTA) or a retail CableCARD%u2122 device
connected to each of your TVs, you will be unaffected by this change. However, if you
are currently receiving Comcast's Limited Basic service on any TV without equipment
If you are affected, you should contact Comcast at 1-855-860-8989 to arrange for the
equipment you need to continue receiving your services. In such case, you are entitled
to receive equipment at no additional charge or service fee for a limited period of time.
The number and type of devices you are entitled to receive, and for how long, will vary
1) If you are a Limited Basic customer and receive the service on your TV without
2) If you subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on
device for one year.
request your equipment between February 11, 2014 and June 11, 2014 and satisfy
all other eligibility requirements.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Dan A:

As of today March 13th Comcast of Central New Jersey's Limited Basic channels are now all encrypted.

Yes, same here in Monmouth County today also, per the notification that I had received back in early January: »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

mount laurel

@comcast.net

On latest April Bill for Comcast of Garden State, NJ:

On 5/13/14, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic service on your cable system.
If you have a set-top box, digital adapter (DTA) or a retail CableCARD™ device
device for one year.
request your equipment between April 13, 2014 and August 11, 2014 and satisfy all
other eligibility requirements.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL
reply to telcodad

I noticed last week as I was trying to browse my one crappy TV that was still directly plugged into the coax that the only channel I got was a Comcast "ad" telling me to get a box from them.

I'm making an assumption then that the Huntsville, AL market finally went dark as of early March, since the little ones would watch cartoons on PBS regularly as recently as a few weeks ago.

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next