prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to telcodad

[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

From a post at AVS Forum in the Comcast SF bay area thread,

quote:
Concord: Encryption of Limited Basic starts on 10/1/2013.
Concord is a city just east of Oakland, CA. I suspect that the rest of the SF bay area will see full encryption by the end of the year.

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to telcodad

Looks like Comcast is rolling out basic service encryption more quickly than they are rolling out IPv6 on broadband, which is funny since I've yet to hear any customer asking for basic service encryption.....

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

got a notice here in the northern panhandle of west Virginia on 9/24.

elape

@cogentco.com

This is live in Boston, MA. I got home from work last night and noticed that all of the channels with the Basic tier of service were scrambled. Connected the adapter that Comcast sent, and I was able to pull down the channels. One problem that I noticed is that the "HD" versions of certain channels are no longer available. For example, the local Fox channel here is 25, prior to this change I was able to access the "HD" version of the channel by selecting 25-1. Do we lose access to these channels after the change? Or did they send me the wrong adapter? Ideally I would like to regain access to these channels again because I had no issues prior to hooking my TV up to the adapter.

Thanks!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

You need to get the HD-DTA. You may also need to be paying the HD Tech Fee (I think this is waived if you are Limited Basic.)

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

said by andyross:

You need to get the HD-DTA. You may also need to be paying the HD Tech Fee (I think this is waived if you are Limited Basic.)

Yes, it looks like the HD fee would be waived given the discussion in this thread: »[HD] Limited Basic & HD--Does It Cost More to Get HD?

dcontto

join:2013-08-05
Sacramento, CA

So I ordered this HD-DTA from Comcast. Got it today and hook it up. At first I was only able to see SD channels and then going into the 700 range was the "HD" local channels. I was using coax because I don't have any more HDMIs, after all, the regular coax to the QAM TV looks crispy clear now...well not so with this HD-DTA box. The video quality of the HD channels is as bad as SD or same. Then you have to "memorize" which channel numbers you want to go to because you get ALL the channels you are not subscribe to without the ability to get rid off them so you can just go up and down the channels. WHY is Comcast encrypting this otherwise free OTA channels is beyond any "logical" reasoning. Basic subscribers ARE paying after all to access free OTA channels from Comcast, but we pay so we get a straight and clean signal without any antennas, but now Comcast is for greedy reasons (as if their services are not already expensive) forcing their basic subscribers to "upgrade" or get downgraded to lower quality TV. I'm going to wait until their conversion in September and then go with an OTA antenna which probably will get clearer signal than Comcast HD-DTA box fiasco. Cannot wait for google TV/Internet! Comcast.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

the reason is 3 fold.
1: so they don't have to send a tech when someone stops or starts service.
2: to stop theft by people JUST paying for internet but getting tv too.
3: so they have bandwidth for other things like more channels and new services coming down the pipe

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT

You forgot two:

4) to increase revenues
5) to annoy customers

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to dcontto

said by dcontto:

I was using coax because I don't have any more HDMIs, after all, the regular coax to the QAM TV looks crispy clear now...well not so with this HD-DTA box.

And tell us of ANY TV set-top box - from ANY provider - that provides an HD signal out of it's coax TV output. (that would be a big ZERO!)
So why anyone (at least someone that understands about clear QAM signals anyway) thinks a $50 box would be able to do this is beyond my comprehension.

As far as not having enough HDMI inputs - pickup a cheap HDMI switch & your problem is solved.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

1 recommendation

It is pretty amazing that folks smart enough to figure out how to come here and post in the right place don't understand simple stuff like how coax outputs have always been SD only. The rest of the HD-DTA rant I get even if it's nothing new here.

neufuse

join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

not really, Coax != SD only, you can output via Coax in HD if you outputted as a QAM channel in the clear pretty easily... only problem is, there is very few if any devices available right now that do that... if they really wanted they could of made a HD-DTA that outputted over a clear qam channel.. you just lose stuff like HDCP that HDMI gives you...

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

1 recommendation

There are no devices that do this, that was the point. Technical possibility is not market reality here.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

Right...& certainly (again) - not in a $50 set-top box!!!

RalphKramden

join:2007-01-10
Newtown, PA
reply to camper

said by camper:

You forgot two:

4) to increase revenues

Which is their responsibility to the stock holders
said by camper:

5) to annoy customers

Yep, that's how you become a $62 Billion company - annoy the customers

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT

Glad you agree with me.

keenan424

join:2003-01-13
Santa Rosa, CA
reply to telcodad

Santa Rosa, CA to be encrypted Oct 1st

lawful12

join:2010-01-25
Chicago, IL
reply to telcodad

City of Chicago 10/8/13

johnl402

join:2005-07-25
Arlington Heights, IL
reply to telcodad

Arlington Heights IL 10/22/2013

sparky57

join:2003-05-18
New Bedford, MA
reply to telcodad

New Bedford MA happened 2 days ago.

Expand your moderator at work

svenson

join:2013-09-11
Alameda, CA
reply to telcodad

[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

svenson--9/10/2013
In a letter dated August 30 Comcast notified me that they will be encrypting their Limited Basic Channels. Previously I had learned from this forum that they were encrypting their Expanded Basic. But a rep in a local store told me to my face that when the analog/digital switch took place I would lose my expanded basic unless I got a digital decoder box. As I knew this was a lie I declined. They then began to remove individual channels from the expanded basic (blank screens). When about a third were gone I canceled Expanded basic. Then they wrote to say Limited Basic was going digital and I would need a box. By then I knew I had a QAM tuner, so I changed the settings on the flat screen tv to "digital," clicked Autoprogramming and I had all my channels (as virtual channels: 2.1, 4.1, etc). In the process I got a real bonus: a local PBS Channel KCSM (60.1, 60.2 and 60.3) that had previously migrated to Comcast channel 198. 60.2 is Mhz World View which has many foreign-made mysteries and dramas series. Bingo! I called Comcast today about the encryption of Limited basic and got the big box/little box routine. When I said I was curious about an antenna she claimed that would be of no use because Comcast will encrypt signals over the airwaves coming from Sutro Tower in San Francisco. Tongue in cheek I said that's pretty sneaky. She replied that Comcast wants to eliminate any other methoids except their service. Well that was blunt. I don't believe tv signals broadcast from the main transmission tower in SF can be encrypted. Does anyone else know any different? I think they are lying again. At this point I expect to cancel Limited basic, knowing they will bump up the price of the broadband service. Man, these people don't quit. But they haven't got me yet. Paranoid thought: can they mess with my broadband? My perspective is antenna for digital channels and streaming Netflix. Sorry about length. This is first post.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by svenson:

I called Comcast today about the encryption of Limited basic and got the big box/little box routine. When I said I was curious about an antenna she claimed that would be of no use because Comcast will encrypt signals over the airwaves coming from Sutro Tower in San Francisco. Tongue in cheek I said that's pretty sneaky. She replied that Comcast wants to eliminate any other methoids except their service. Well that was blunt. I don't believe tv signals broadcast from the main transmission tower in SF can be encrypted. Does anyone else know any different?

Since June 2009, almost all analog (NTSC) over-the-air broadcasting was discontinued in the U.S. and continued only in the digital (ATSC) format, but no encryption is used, so that newer TV sets, like yours, should be able to receive them by selecting a digital "antenna" or OTA mode.

Maybe the CSR you spoke to had said (or meant) that all the OTA digital signals that Comcast receives will soon be encrypted when they retransmit them on their Limited Basic tier.

said by svenson:

At this point I expect to cancel Limited basic, knowing they will bump up the price of the broadband service. Man, these people don't quit. But they haven't got me yet. Paranoid thought: can they mess with my broadband? My perspective is antenna for digital channels and streaming Netflix. Sorry about length. This is first post.

Not sure what you mean by "can they mess with my broadband," but at some point in the future, Comcast may restore data usage caps »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/ that could impact you, depending on how much you may stream from Netflix each month.

And yes, if you cancel your Limited Basic TV service, you will lose the "double-play" discount for the HSI service and any savings will depend on how much the charge is for the Limited Basic tier in your area.

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to telcodad

Latest bill, on the 3rd page, says encryption here in Schaumburg, IL on 10/22.

jesseb_66

join:2002-12-06
Derry, NH
reply to telcodad

Derry, NH got this maybe a month or so ago.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
reply to camper

Right on time - encryption of Limited Basic service is now in effect here.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by camper:

Right on time - encryption of Limited Basic service is now in effect here.

Yeah, unlike HD channel adds, OSG updates, etc., those type of things seem to deploy right on schedule!

So, did you happen to check if HD-DTAs are available in your area yet?

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by telcodad:

So, did you happen to check if HD-DTAs are available in your area yet?

I didn't check, as I have no plans to get one.

If anything, I will be using the newly-freed-up antenna input of the TV with an OTA antenna. At least then I will be able to get my local channels in HD (something which Comcast refuses to provide, even thought the other cable companies in the area carry local channels in HD).

bennor
Premium
join:2006-07-22
New Haven, CT
reply to telcodad

New Haven, CT market got limited basic encrypted today.

jeffnyc

join:2004-06-09
Atlanta, GA
reply to telcodad

Anyone know about Atlanta area?

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next