normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA
reply to telcodad

[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

Chico, CA reporting.

100% encrypted. I was met with the dreaded "scrambled" message in WMC. I'll skip the DTA for an antenna. I just use my computer for basic programming anyways.

Expand your moderator at work

samk

join:2012-11-05
reply to telcodad

[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

Jeannette, PA reporting. Channels are encrypted and service will cost $10 extra per month even at the lowest service level (~15 per month). I did not receive (at least never saw) a notification about this change.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

said by samk:

Jeannette, PA reporting. Channels are encrypted ...

OK, it looks like the greater Pittsburgh area might have gone encrypted today, as mikedz4 See Profile's area, located on the opposite side of Pittsburgh from you, was to go encrypted today also:
said by mikedz4:

got a notice here in the northern panhandle of west Virginia on 9/24.

However, he appeared to have received this notification in early August.

SunnyD

join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL
reply to telcodad

Friend of mine complained at me that I jinxed him, he no longer has clear QAM as of today on the eastern border of Ohio. I guess that corroborates the Greater Pittsburgh area going dark.

hortnut
Huh?

join:2005-09-25
PNW
kudos:1
reply to telcodad

November 5, 2013 from a flier inserted with last bill.

Covers Lakewood, Fircrest, University Place and parts of Tacoma Washington.

The Franchise Authority is Lakewood, WA.

submariner

join:2001-12-12
State College, PA
reply to telcodad

It appears that State College, Pa has switched to encrypted channels this morning.

mkanet

join:2008-06-11
Vallejo, CA
reply to telcodad

All my clear QAM PC tuners stopped working today. October 1. Now, thanks to Comcast, I have a bunch of worthless devices. Which reminds me, I need to cancel Comcast basic cable and switch to OTA ATSC.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to telcodad

See also ---> »No more QAM in 94549

rakingleaves

join:2013-10-01
Palo Alto, CA
reply to telcodad

Just reporting that it looks like encryption kicked in today in Palo Alto (94303). Time to dig out the antenna...

twitter

@comcast.net
reply to sortofageek

Encrypted in 94539 also.

wsanders

join:2002-09-18
Lafayette, CA
reply to telcodad

No more HD with limited basic in 94549 (Lafayette CA). My wife waited in a 30 min line of angry customers at the Concord office and was finally able to get an HDMI-capable network adapter. (I owe her big time.) The SD channels are upconverted to HD and most are are cropped. But none of the HD channels are present.

Comcast will send you an RF-modulated NA by default, and the telephone customer service will deny, or is too poorly trained to know, that HD NA's exist. You'll have to go to a local store and exchange, it seems.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by wsanders:

No more HD with limited basic in 94549 (Lafayette CA). My wife waited in a 30 min line of angry customers at the Concord office and was finally able to get an HDMI-capable network adapter. (I owe her big time.) The SD channels are upconverted to HD and most are are cropped. But none of the HD channels are present.

Sounds like your account information is not set properly to allow you to tune the HD channels. See dishrich See Profile's posts about this in his HD-DTA review thread:

»Re: [DTA] HD-DTA's are here in Springfield, IL - a review

»Re: [DTA] HD-DTA's are here in Springfield, IL - a review

Also check what he says about adjusting things in the HD-DTA's HDMI setup menu: »[Comcast Equip] HD-DTA's are here in Springfield, IL - a review

jalles
Premium
join:2006-10-22
State College, PA
reply to submariner

I second that.

said by submariner:

It appears that State College, Pa has switched to encrypted channels this morning.

Oct. 1

neilsh

join:2004-08-12
Bellevue, WA
reply to telcodad

98007 - Bellevue will be encrypted Nov 5th according to the bill insert I got. Time to install that antenna I've been considering and kiss Comcast goodbye.

DVDDave

join:2006-01-07
San Jose, CA
reply to telcodad

Encrypted in San Jose, CA 95123. Installed antenna and just order Simple.TV on Woot.

earletp

join:2004-02-03
PDX
reply to telcodad

Portland, OR
Per the notice enclosed with my last bill, "On October 29,2013, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic Service on your cable system"

ChicksHateMe

join:2005-01-22
Leominster, MA
reply to telcodad

Gardner, MA 01440 - Encryption Started Monday, October 7th, 2013.

I have one 42" and A PC with 4 QAM Tuners that I use to record shows. All useless now.

Doesn't the FCC mandate the Cable industry to send Unencrypted cable for local stations?

Bastards.... I called to cancel cause the service is useless, but with the cheap package I have, it would cost the same for just internet alone.

And.... I never received a 30 Day notice....

I will be looking for alternatives to Comcast, even OTA antenna's. I want away from this greedy, dirty monopoly.

PeterBennett

@comcast.net
reply to telcodad

Bourne Mass
Basic tier encryption starts Nov 12, 2013

blust2

join:2009-07-31
Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit

I woke up this morning and found out all my local stations (CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox, CW etc) on QAM channels are gone. I live in Pittsburgh, PA. Is this permanent? Can anyone live in Pittsburgh confirm?

If they are gone forever, does anybody know if Verizon FIOS lets people watch local stations on QAM channels without a set box? I really don't want a set box for every TV/Recorder I own. And I have some hard drive video recorders to record network shows. It will limit one show recording a night unless I am home to switch channels.

Another question is if I upgrade to higher tier, can I have QAM channels back? Thanks.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by blust2:

I woke up this morning and found out all my QAM channels are gone. I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

OK, other areas around Pittsburgh had gone encrypted back on Sept. 24th.

said by blust2:

Does anybody know if Verizon FIOS lets people watch QAM channels without a set box? I really don't want a set box for every TV I own.

I'm not sure about FiOS, maybe try asking on that forum.

said by blust2:

Another question is if I upgrade to higher tier, can I have QAM channels back? Thanks.

No, it doesn't matter what tier of service you have, sorry.

blust2

join:2009-07-31
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to samk

My notice is printed on the monthly bill.

warcraft82

join:2008-11-12
Philadelphia, PA

Philadelphia, PA
I received a notice in the mail today that Limited Basic will be encrypted here effective 11/12/13.

Limited Basic customers can request up to two "devices" free for two years. Higher level subscribers can get one device free for one year (if you want Limited Basic only service on a secondary TV).

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by warcraft82:

Philadelphia, PA
I received a notice in the mail today that Limited Basic will be encrypted here effective 11/12/13.

OK thanks, yours is the first report from someone located in the Freedom Region.

B34N

join:2013-10-16
Hopewell, NJ
reply to telcodad

Comcast of Southeastern Pennsylvania changed their limited basic lineup and appears to have started encrypting some channels. It's hard for me to know for sure if channels were lost since nothing is where it is to be expected. My lineup is the one for Stockton, Lambertville, Delaware Township Hopewell (08525) and West Amwell (all in NJ) and the latest XFINITY TV Lineup (effective September 30, 2013) lists digital-ready QAM tuner television as one of the ways to get Limited Basic. We get both Philadelphia and New York locals. It appears that mainly the Philadelphia channels disappeared or jumped around.

Any other reports from this area? Even if they are not gone, it will be a PITA to find what I'm looking for and to reconfigure MythTV.

OCP
Premium
join:2004-10-11
USA
reply to telcodad

I received my 30 day notice today in Tucson, AZ. Might have to buy a better antenna or sell the TV.

I keep thinking the FTC or a class action lawsuit should be in motion, but nothing... This is costing me hundreds of dollars, if you add the price of my TV (with ATSC clear QAM tuner) to my HDHomerun clear QAM ATSC network tuner.

beerncats

join:2013-10-16
USA
reply to telcodad

Colorado Springs appears to be encrypted as of yesterday. I don't remember receiving any notice.

Cablejim1087

join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME
reply to telcodad

Encrypting 11/12/13 up here

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Scheduled to encrypt the ATL on 12/10.

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:21
reply to telcodad

[Content] Reminder

Topic is: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here .

Mod Note: Please do not reply to this post.

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next