telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Re: [Content] Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

said by telcodad:

Yeah, I got the same encryption notification in the bill I received back on January 8th. I guess I should see if our local Comcast office (Eatontown, NJ) has got any HD-DTAs in yet.

BTW - I stopped into my local Comcast office yesterday and found that they finally got the HD-DTAs in stock. I picked one up and finally got it activated this morning: »Re: [Content] HD DTA

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

Dan A to telcodad

to telcodad
I will miss having the unmapped WCAU 10-2 Cozi TV WPHL 17-2 Antenna TV Unlike their New York Counterparts WNBC 4-2 (informercials instead of I SPY) and WPIX 11-2 (Till Death with Brad Garett instead of Mr. Ed) they don't preempt network programing.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Dan A

MVM

to Dan A
said by Dan A:

I wish the X1 Boxes had a second tuner built in for the Picture in Picture function that my Samsung TVs have.

Is their a way I hook HD DTA into my picture in picture and get HD output to the Picture in Picture?
:

Yeah, I got the same encryption notification in the bill I received back on January 8th. I guess I should see if our local Comcast office (Eatontown, NJ) has got any HD-DTAs in yet.

As far as hooking your HD-DTA to your Samsung TV for PIP, if the PIP input jack is HDMI, then no problem.

But, I'm guessing that's not the case, though. If your TV set has an RGB/Component input for the PIP, then check out this previous thread for ideas: »[Comcast Equip] Poor Coaxial Quality 'Pace DC60Xu HD DTA'

So, you should be able to use an HDMI-to-Component converter box to make the connection, the only concern may be finding a model that supports HDCP if that becomes an issue.

Dan A
join:2008-01-03
Kendall Park, NJ

1 edit

Dan A to FifthE1ement

to FifthE1ement
I wish the X1 Boxes had a second tuner built in for the Picture in Picture function that my Samsung TVs have.

Is their a way I hook HD DTA into my picture in picture and gent HD output to the Picture in Picture?

Important Service Message:
On 3/13/14, Comcast will start encrypting Limited Basic service on your cable system.
If you have a set-top box, digital adapter (DTA) or a retail CableCARD%u2122 device
connected to each of your TVs, you will be unaffected by this change. However, if you
are currently receiving Comcast's Limited Basic service on any TV without equipment
supplied by Comcast, you will lose the ability to view any channels on that TV.
If you are affected, you should contact Comcast at 1-855-860-8989 to arrange for the
equipment you need to continue receiving your services. In such case, you are entitled
to receive equipment at no additional charge or service fee for a limited period of time.
The number and type of devices you are entitled to receive, and for how long, will vary
depending on your situation:
1) If you are a Limited Basic customer and receive the service on your TV without
Comcast-supplied equipment, you are entitled to up to two devices for two years
(five years if you also receive Medicaid).
2) If you subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on
a secondary TV without Comcast-supplied equipment, you are entitled to one
device for one year.
You can learn more about this equipment offer and eligibility at
comcast.com/digitaladapterinfo or by calling 1-855-860-8989.
To qualify for any equipment at no additional charge or service fee, you must
request your equipment between February 11, 2014 and June 11, 2014 and satisfy
all other eligibility requirements.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut
join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

FifthE1ement to telcodad

to telcodad
Happened back on Dec 18th I believe in South Florida.

5th

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to chong673

MVM

to chong673

Re: [Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

said by telcodad:

OK, thanks.

said by chong673:

I am looking for an indoor antenna now. I am not paying to watch TV.

Take a look at Mohu's line of indoor antennas: »www.gomohu.com/compare-products/
You can find them on Amazon (e.g., The Leaf: »www.amazon.com/Mohu-Leaf ··· 04QK7HI8 and Refurbed Leaf: »www.amazon.com/Mohu-Pape ··· 09RPDP2Y )

said by chong673:

... I didnt miss anything. I actually like my OTA HD channel better! It comes in clearer and I have a stereo system and it sounds better than what Comcast is doing with their bandwidth.

All you need is a indoor antenna. Get the ugliest one (works better) with 2 sticking antennas. I pick up all the channels. ...

BTW - I came across this excellent article on Indoor OTA TV antennas for use in urban/close-suburban areas:

The Best Indoor HDTV Antenna (For Cities)
By Tim Moynihan, The Wirecutter - January 26, 2014
»thewirecutter.com/review ··· antenna/
trollscience
join:2013-12-14
Carrington, ND

trollscience to telcodad

to telcodad
Here is an avsforum thread about. are your QAM channels scrambled?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by telcodad:

said by psiu:

It is mind boggling how they try to portray it as good all around. I was paying for it, it was authorized...now the convenience would include a nice fustercluck of cables, boxes, power cords, and IR blasters. Toss in a nice smattering of box fees, outlet fees, bend-over-because-we-can fees, HD fees (if even possible with Limited Basic anymore) and it sure is nice for *someone*.

A blog item on the Seattle Times site yesterday that agrees with your view of this:

FCC is enabler when Comcast slaps on high-def box fees
The regulators bought Comcast’s lame request, including the ludicrous claim that DTA boxes are better for the environment because they may reduce service-truck traffic.
By Brier Dudley, The Seattle Times - December 15, 2013
»seattletimes.com/html/bu ··· xml.html

Some recent columns about subscriber reactions to Comcast's Basic tier encryption policies in the Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune:

Sound Advice: Cable TV encryption creates a stir
By Don Lindich, Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune - January 3, 2014
»www.startribune.com/ente ··· 181.html

and

Sound Advice: Cable viewers dislike new encryption
By Don Lindich, Minneapolis-St. Paul Star Tribune - January 10, 2014
»www.startribune.com/ente ··· 541.html
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
Encryption Notice for Monmouth County, NJ

OK, got this notice in the bill I received in today's mail stating that our Limited Basic tier channels will be encrypted here in Monmouth County, NJ starting on March 13th.
yhp
join:2006-12-27
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to dishrich

to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by yhp:

- get a splitter, an HD-DTA, an extra remote, and regular confusion by picking different TV inputs, remotes, etc. based on what channel she wants to watch

What good WOULD a "splitter" do - with EVERYTHING now encrypted???
The HD-DTA is ALL she would need, cost her ZERO extra, give her a much (single) simpler remote, AND give here everything she should get in HD.

When I made my initial call, one of my first questions was whether she was eligible for an HD DTA (yes, but it wouldn't be free. Fine. Whatevs.) and would it get her every channel she's supposed to be receiving in her current package (in the back of my mind, I recalled that some unfortunate LB channels were not accessible with the classic DTA). That was when the CSR's hemming and hawing began.

Couldn't get a straight answer. Which is as good as a "No".

Ordered a box-swap, paid for the visit in advance with my CC, and moved on.

There's only so much time in the world.

It's not even an option for limited basic subs anyway, & even states this on all CC price sheets...oh, why AM I bothering w/this...

I apologize, but I'm not the one making 15-year-old technology complicated.

I did ponder just getting the HD DTA shipped, but then there was the practical matter of my making yet another trip to deal with that, and the fact that I had no idea if the HD DTA remote would control the TV, or if it would get her everything she's supposed to be getting. The CSR wouldn't confirm this last point. (She did try to sell phone service, however. Awesome.)
said by dishrich:

said by yhp:

Useful and interesting. To "one of us".

Well, guess no good deed goes unpunished...teach me for trying to help.

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. It was an interesting and thorough take.
said by dishrich:

Guess she's SOL...

No, a simple "An HD DTA will take care of everything." from the CSR would have helped. A simple "You're not going to get any HD without a DTA." would have helped. That's pretty much all it would have taken for me to order it in.

You're very good at this, and your work is appreciated, and I've bookmarked the posting for another time, but it's Comcast's job to make this easy.
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich to yhp

to yhp
said by yhp:

- get a splitter, an HD-DTA, an extra remote, and regular confusion by picking different TV inputs, remotes, etc. based on what channel she wants to watch

What good WOULD a "splitter" do - with EVERYTHING now encrypted???
The HD-DTA is ALL she would need, cost her ZERO extra, give her a much (single) simpler remote, AND give here everything she should get in HD.
said by yhp:

- pay Comcast $9.95/mo for 720p access.

It's not even an option for limited basic subs anyway, & even states this on all CC price sheets...oh, why AM I bothering w/this...
said by yhp:

Well, guess no good deed goes unpunished...teach me for trying to help.
Guess she's SOL...
yhp
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to dishrich

to dishrich
said by dishrich:

She IS actually using an HDMI cable, right??? (sorry, but there have been several folks here that "assumed" you CAN get HD out of the coax output on those DTA's...)

She has no DTA. She got her DCT-700 replaced with a STB which has HDMI out. (The field rep was even nice enough to set up the remote to control her LG TV set, whose codes Comcast likes to keep a mystery.)

Did she actually go TO the HD versions of the local channels...just like you have to do on the regular boxes???

AFAIK, what she has is a "regular box" - she gets the ugly i-Guide like I do. Selecting "Watch in HD" on the local broadcast channels takes her to channels she's not subscribed to. I also direct-dialed the 8xx versions of the local b'cast channels and got the same message.

So yes, the months of discussion did come flowing back to me: Xfinity customers in her shoes can either:

- get a splitter, an HD-DTA, an extra remote, and regular confusion by picking different TV inputs, remotes, etc. based on what channel she wants to watch (She's 70 and easily frustrated by B.S., which, as far as I know, isn't a crime yet.)

or

- pay Comcast $9.95/mo for 720p access.

Did she (or you) bother to go into the HD-DTA setup menu & change the output to 1080i or 720p???

Even if she had had an HD-DTA installed, she doesn't have any Internet. And I don't memorize the setup-menu access codes for every piece of equipment XFINITY issues.

Sounds like you really need to read this:

»[Comcast Equip] HD-DTA's are here in Springfield, IL - a review

{reads first post}

But nothing a 70-year-old lady should have to go through to watch daytime TV channels in HD.
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich to yhp

to yhp
said by yhp:

Her level package (again, according to the CSR on phone call #1) does not incur an HD Access Fee. How she'll actually get to see any local broadcast is beyond me.

This exception (to the HD fee) has only been talked about here for months now, in MANY posts...not to mention it's noted on CC own pricing schedules.
said by yhp:

Saw her picture myself over the holiday (Comcast's special (as in "special ed") stretched SD). It sucks.

She IS actually using an HDMI cable, right??? (sorry, but there have been several folks here that "assumed" you CAN get HD out of the coax output on those DTA's...)

Did she actually go TO the HD versions of the local channels...just like you have to do on the regular boxes???

Did she (or you) bother to go into the HD-DTA setup menu & change the output to 1080i or 720p???

Sounds like you really need to read this:

»[Comcast Equip] HD-DTA's are here in Springfield, IL - a review

The pic quality on all the HD-DTA's I've seen here looks just as good as the regular HD boxes, so I'm sure it's a problem on her setup.
yhp
Philadelphia, PA

yhp to psiu

to psiu
said by psiu:

HD fees (if even possible with Limited Basic anymore)

Apparently, yes. My Mom has Limited Basic, and they just swapped out her DCT-700 hockey puck for something with HDMI output (backstory: I got her an inexpensive LG 32", and called the office ahead of time to confirm she was good to go HDMI with the Comcast equipment in-house, and surprise, surprise, Comcast was wrong.), but anyway, today she does not have access to HD versions of local broadcast channels (which are all in the 800s).

Yet the office said she was eligible for an HD DTA (not for free, of course), at which point I presume one breaks out the splitters, an extra antenna, etc.

Flash forward to today: she's got an HD set, an STB w HDMI output and Limited Basic. Her level package (again, according to the CSR on phone call #1) does not incur an HD Access Fee. How she'll actually get to see any local broadcast is beyond me. Saw her picture myself over the holiday (Comcast's special (as in "special ed") stretched SD). It sucks. They should be embarrassed.
WideGlide99
join:2003-07-26
Gallatin, TN

WideGlide99 to telcodad

to telcodad
The first customer service rep I spoke with told me they had done an audit and removed channels that I wasn't supposed to receive. I explained that I had been receiving the digital starter lineup for years and all I got was "sorry". Apparently that guy was too lazy to look up my account. Today I went online and looked at my account and it didn't even show the DTA in my equipment even though they have been charging me for it. Apparently some bonehead had mistakenly removed it from my account. I got on an online chat with customer service and gave them the ser# for the DTA and they reset it. I now have my 80+ channels back on that TV again.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to chong673

MVM

to chong673
said by chong673:

:
I didnt miss anything. I actually like my OTA HD channel better! It comes in clearer and I have a stereo system and it sounds better than what Comcast is doing with their bandwidth.

All you need is a indoor antenna. Get the ugliest one (works better) with 2 sticking antennas. I pick up all the channel. I use WMC with Hauppauge to record my shows and watch it thru extended monitor and watch it on my HDTV using HDMI.
:

FYI - For people who don't have/want to use a Home Theater PC (HTPC) using Windows Media Center (WMC) (see: »www.digitaltrends.com/ho ··· pc-htpc/), there is the Channel Master DVR+ that's coming out in January which may work well for them: »Re: EchoStar Gets Analog Waiver for Channel Master K77 OTA DVR
dishrich
Springfield, IL

dishrich to chong673

to chong673
said by chong673:

All you need is a indoor antenna. Get the ugliest one (works better) with 2 sticking antennas.

You DO realize while this may work for you, it does NOT for everyone's areas...

chong673
join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA

chong673 to telcodad

to telcodad
I rescan my TV last night and indeed, Comcast has scramble the clear QAM channel. All I get one is one channel asking me to get their box. It got scramble on Dec 12, 2013 in zip 30236.

I didnt miss anything. I actually like my OTA HD channel better! It comes in clearer and I have a stereo system and it sounds better than what Comcast is doing with their bandwidth.

All you need is a indoor antenna. Get the ugliest one (works better) with 2 sticking antennas. I pick up all the channel. I use WMC with Hauppauge to record my shows and watch it thru extended monitor and watch it on my HDTV using HDMI.

I only have HSI.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to psiu

MVM

to psiu
said by psiu:

said by imdoody:

encryption/

What does it mean when you say you are encrypting Limited Basic channels?
Encryption encodes programming so that individuals cannot view it without authorization and payment. In addition, encryption allows us to automate certain system functions and will reduce the need for scheduled in-home appointments, providing greater convenience for our customers.

It is mind boggling how they try to portray it as good all around. I was paying for it, it was authorized...now the convenience would include a nice fustercluck of cables, boxes, power cords, and IR blasters. Toss in a nice smattering of box fees, outlet fees, bend-over-because-we-can fees, HD fees (if even possible with Limited Basic anymore) and it sure is nice for *someone*.

A blog item on the Seattle Times site yesterday that agrees with your view of this:

FCC is enabler when Comcast slaps on high-def box fees
The regulators bought Comcast’s lame request, including the ludicrous claim that DTA boxes are better for the environment because they may reduce service-truck traffic.
By Brier Dudley, The Seattle Times - December 15, 2013
»seattletimes.com/html/bu ··· xml.html

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to mrschultz02

Premium Member

to mrschultz02
Wow - surprised Delco would be so far behind, figuring they hit New Castle County and the surrounding areas last month.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to ChicksHateMe

Premium Member

to ChicksHateMe

Doesn't the FCC mandate the Cable industry to send Unencrypted cable for local stations?

They used to, and they have lifted that rule. Comcast is required to offer inexpensive reception equipment for a couple years. After that they'll be laughing to the bank.

I think there aren't enough people using ClearQAM. A few might have some secondary TVs in the house that will become doorstops. It really screws people over who can't get OTA and want a low cost equivalent. Next up, they'll try to kill the CableCard. Oh, they're already working on that.

»arstechnica.com/tech-pol ··· ng-bill/

As much as I want to protect my "rights" to be able to receive OTA channels in the clear, it's hard to be too upset when pretty much all of cable's competitors have been doing the same thing for a long time. I can't get ClearQAM out of DirecTV, DISH, or AT&T U-verse.

I hope TiVo defends CableCard with all of their might. CableCard is our last hope for having alternatives to cable's huge rental fees and crappy equipment.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to mrschultz02

MVM

to mrschultz02
Yes, the DTAs must be ordered during the "equipment offer period" which begins 30 days before the date of encryption. As far as the cost you, it depends on your level of TV service.

quote:
What will the digital adapters cost?

Limited Basic customers who currently do not have equipment on their account are eligible for up to two (2) DTAs, at no charge for two (2) years (five years if you also receive Medicaid) if they request DTAs during the equipment offer period at or around the time of encryption.

Customers who subscribe to a higher level of service and receive Limited Basic service on a secondary TV without Comcast supplied equipment are eligible for one device at no charge for one year.

DTAs available under this offer must be ordered during the equipment offer period; beginning 30 days before the date of encryption and for 120 days after encryption. A notice will be sent to all customers informing them of their eligibility and the start of the offer period for their system.

Otherwise, currently up to three (3) DTAs are available to Limited Basic customers at no charge (fewer if there is other digital equipment on the account). Afterwards the current price for DTAs for Limited Basic customers is $.50 per device per month. All other customers currently pay a $1.99 per month additional outlet service charge for each outlet registered to a DTA.

As for HD-DTAs, they appear to become available once that market is about to have its Limited Basic tier channels encrypted. There are also reports that some markets charge $2.99/mo for them, while in most others the charge is the same as for the SD models.
mrschultz02
join:2007-09-10
Wallingford, PA
Asus RT-AC88

mrschultz02 to telcodad

to telcodad
Just checked my bill online and there's a notice for limited basic encryption.

So Delaware County PA will be encrypted 2/25/14

Guess I better wait to try and get an HD DTA because the bill also said this:
quote:
To qualify for any equipment at no additional charge or service fee, you must request your equipment between January 26, 2014 and May
26, 2014 and satisfy all other eligibility requirements.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to WideGlide99

MVM

to WideGlide99
said by WideGlide99:

I can't say there there was a notice of any kind but this is what has happened to me: I have the Comcast Digital Starter (Not HD) package.
:
Back in 2009 I was provided a Digital Transport Adapter for my bedroom TV. The only thing different with it was it did not have On-Demand and PPV access. It has received ALL the same channels as my other set... until recently. Now The DTA set only receives a handful of channels, which are mostly local OTA. I don't know if they have encrypted channels and the DTA is not capable or what. It makes no sense to me that I have around 100 channels on one set and only a handful on the other when both are on the same service plan.
:
Needless to say I am not happy with the "change".

Yes, in most areas, the DTAs are capable of decrypting up to the Digital Starter tier of channels.

For customers with lower tier plans, Comcast restricts what the DTA can tune to via the channel map downloaded to it. It sounds to me like your DTA was (mistakenly) sent a new channel map intended a Limited Basic tier subscriber.

I would call Comcast and tell them to restore the full channel map to your DTA.
WideGlide99
join:2003-07-26
Gallatin, TN

WideGlide99 to telcodad

to telcodad
I can't say there there was a notice of any kind but this is what has happened to me: I have the Comcast Digital Starter (Not HD) package. On one TV I have the basic set top box which provides access to On-Demad which I do use on occasion. There is access to PPV but I never use that. Back in 2009 I was provided a Digital Transport Adapter for my bedroom TV. The only thing different with it was it did not have On-Demand and PPV access. It has received ALL the same channels as my other set... until recently. Now The DTA set only receives a handful of channels, which are mostly local OTA. I don't know if they have encrypted channels and the DTA is not capable or what. It makes no sense to me that I have around 100 channels on one set and only a handful on the other when both are on the same service plan. To make matters worse they are now charging $1.99 per month for the "free" DTA. They have bumped up rates a little at the time so I don't even know when this happened. With the Performance internet, I am now paying $130/month for continually diminishing service. Needless to say I am not happy with the "change".

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to imdoody

to imdoody
See addtional ---> »ClearQAM Gone in Ypsilanti MI
psiu
join:2004-01-20
Farmington, MI

psiu to imdoody

to imdoody
said by imdoody:

encryption/

Encryption encodes programming so that individuals cannot view it without authorization and payment. In addition, encryption allows us to automate certain system functions and will reduce the need for scheduled in-home appointments, providing greater convenience for our customers.

imdoody
join:2009-01-22
Grand Rapids, MI

imdoody to Chad

to Chad
Got the letter early this month that the Grand Rapids MI area will cutting over on December 10th. Let the negotiation war begin... Just in time too, my last promotion just ran out. Including Taxes and fees I was getting 50Mbps down/10 mbps up, and basic TV for $57/month. That's with full HD for local channels no boxes. I still can't wrap my head around how comcast believes that it's customers will buy into the propaganda and marketing BS about how this change is for the "... greater convenience of its customers."

*****From comcast 's FAQ:******
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ryption/

Chad
@comcast.net

Chad to deemic

Anon

to deemic
All channels are encrypted in Flint, Michigan.

deemic
@comcast.net

deemic to andyross

Anon

to andyross
No because in case you don't remember, the original sales pitch from the cable companies in the MTV days was that it would be low priced... HA! and that you would get the local channels for free ALWAYS, negating the need for an antenna. That's how they justified tearing up everyones lawns to lay the cable. Then as it became a monopoly and they acquired lobbyists, it became the racket it is today. They will squeeze every penny out of you they can and justify it a million ways.