uniqs
share rss forum feed view:
normal
prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next

evanstonian

@comcast.net
reply to telcodad

[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

We just got encrypted today in Evanston, IL. Don't remember seeing any notification and didn't receive any hardware.

Will probably switch to antenna.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3

said by evanstonian :

We just got encrypted today in Evanston, IL. Don't remember seeing any notification and didn't receive any hardware.

OK, some others in Illinois had previously posted that they were notified about going encrypted today:
johnl402 See Profile: »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here
andyross See Profile: »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

I think you're only be sent a DTA automatically if you are subscribed for Limted Basic service and not a higher tier of service.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

said by telcodad:

I think you're only be sent a DTA automatically if you are subscribed for Limted Basic service and not a higher tier of service.

And only if they show you currently have NO CC equipment whatsoever.

said by evanstonian :

Will probably switch to antenna.

You DO know that limited basic subs can get up to 3 HD-DTA's FREE...

thor793

join:2005-09-10
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit
reply to telcodad

[Content] Limited Basic tier encryption - OTA antenna solution?

Got the notice a while ago (not sure when), and I woke up to encrypted channels this morning. I don't pay for anything but HSI with Comcast (Business class, starter tier), and had 60+ channels, with all locals in HD. All gone now except for some SD hockey channels.

I'm going to give an OTA antenna a try to see what I can pull in before I start with the $20 per month for the two HD adapters I'll want to get ($10 ea).

blust2

join:2009-07-31
Pittsburgh, PA

4 edits

[Content] Limited Basic tier encryption - indoor antenna solution?

said by thor793:

Got the notice a while ago (not sure when), and I woke up to encrypted channels this morning. I don't pay for anything but HSI with Comcast (Business class, starter tier), and had 60+ channels, with all locals in HD. All gone now except for some SD hockey channels.

I'm going to give an OTA antenna a try to see what I can pull in before I start with the $20 per month for the two HD adapters I'll want to get ($10 ea).

I also found out all my Comcast local station HD channels are gone a few days ago. At first I don't know what to do and close to panic. I had two HDTV indoor antenna I bought when HDTV just started in 2009. Some channels they pulled are not clear and had artifacts. After asking around, I found Winegard 5000FL indoor antenna is the best. And indeed they are. All CBS, ABC, NBC, Fox and CW it pulled are 100% clear and have the same quality as Comcast Cable. The cheapest price I found is $29.99 at Home Depot. If you don't have Home Depot stores near by, you have to pay higher price $34 plus shipping from Amazon.com.

I have no relationship with either Home Depot or Winegard. Just want to share my experience. Also you are supposed to tape the Windgard antenna (it looks like a kite and is paper-thin) on any window. I think it is a clever design to make an indoor antenna functioning as an outdoor antenna. It is much better than my old amplified indoor antenna even it is unamplified. You only need one antenna for all your HDTV, DVR, VCR and other recording devices with QAM tuners. I use a four-way splitter so all my Magnovax and Philips hd recorders and HDTV can share the antenna. While you are at Home Depot, you might want to pick a cable/antenna selector (only $5 at Home Depot) if you still keep Comcast Cable for non-local-station cable channels.

dishrich

Springfield, IL

1 edit

[Content] Re: Limited Basic tier encryption - indoor antenna solution?

said by blust2:

if you still keep Comcast Cable for non-local-station cable channels.

You DO realize that CC is encrypting EVERY channel on their systems - BOTH SD & HD. So what diff does it make if your keeping CC anyway; you (still) have to have a DTA or digital box to get any/all channels now...

dishrich

Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to thor793

[Content] Re: Limited Basic tier encryption - OTA antenna solution?

said by thor793:

before I start with the $20 per month for the two HD adapters I'll want to get ($10 ea).

HD-DTA's are ONLY $2 each & always have been. However, you will probably have to pay the $10 HD tech fee, since you are on dig starter TV.

blust2

join:2009-07-31
Pittsburgh, PA

3 edits
reply to dishrich

[Content] Re: Limited Basic tier encryption - indoor antenna solution?

I know. Most programs I record for archive are from local stations so now I only need one DTA in case I need to record non-local programs. I no longer need one DTA for every recording device I have.

thor793

join:2005-09-10
Schaumburg, IL
reply to blust2

I got a Mohu Leaf antenna. It was the antenna bundled with some of the tiers when Simple.TV was on Kickstarter. I didn't get one when I got my Simple.TV though. I heard good things about it and I picked one up on Amazon and got it tonight. Just hooked it up and I can get all but 1 of my major local HD channels. The only one I can't get is CBS...and it was on the lower end of the scale of channels I could receive on TVFool. 39 digital channels total. Definitely not going to go the Comcast route for TV anymore.

mountlaurel

@comcast.net

My parents in NE Philly(19124) received this notice yesterday in the mail. Doesn't effect them but I thought I should post.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by mountlaurel :

My parents in NE Philly (19124) received this notice yesterday in the mail. Doesn't effect them but I thought I should post.

Yes, thanks.

That's now the second report of encryption notification in the Philadelphia area (the first was »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here ). Do you know if the effective date was November 12th for them also?

I wonder if any subscribers in Freedom Region areas outside of Philadelphia are getting these notifications yet?

mountlaurel

@comcast.net

I'm on the Garden State, NJ system. Does this mean that you can still plug the cable wire directly into the TV tuner to still watch 3,6 & 10 locals? I thought everyone needed a DTA, cable card or digital box already. I haven't receive any letter here yet about 'Encryption" here.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yes, if your area hasn't started encrypting the Limited Basic ("B1") tier of (digital) channels yet, then the "Clear QAM" tuners in most of the latest HDTVs should be able to decode them.

When the "Digital Migration" was completed in our (Freedom Region) area back in 2011, the DTAs were provided then to allow subscribers using older, directly-connected, analog TVs to continue to use them once all the analog cable channels were removed.

Fammoney

join:2003-05-29
Harrisburg, PA
reply to telcodad

Encryption went live here in Harrisburg, PA just after midnight. Apparently they put the notification in September's bill. Too bad I didn't see it so could buy an HDHomerun Prime earlier this month.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Fammoney:

Encryption went live here in Harrisburg, PA just after midnight. Apparently they put the notification in September's bill. ...

OK, thanks.

The State College, PA market had gone totally encrypted back on October 1st »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here , but as you reported, the rest of central Pennsylvania has followed now: »www.abc27.com/story/23819547/com···services

mustang50
Premium
join:2005-05-06
Roseville, MI
reply to telcodad

I got a snail mail today stating that they are encrypting basic on Dec. 3 in my area.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2
reply to telcodad

[Content] Encryption Starts 11/19/13 - New Castle County, DE System

Received the letter today -

Effective 11/19 here in the New Castle County, DE system. No impact to me, but another market in the Freedom region.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

[Content] Re: Encryption Starts 11/19/13 - New Castle County, DE System

said by JeepMatt:

Received the letter today -

Effective 11/19 here in the New Castle County, DE system. No impact to me, but another market in the Freedom region.

OK, thanks, it looks like it's just a short time now before my system (Monmouth County, NJ) gets notified I guess (though like you, it would not affect me, as all of my TVs use a box of some kind).

I'm surprised that you only received the (US Mail) notification today, as they are supposed to give at least 30 days notice.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:2

Telco-
Funny thing was that the letter was dated October 18th.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

BortB25

join:2004-02-28
reply to telcodad

St. Paul, MN - November 19th

I checked about a month ago at the local office about HD-DTA's. They told me they had none and no plans to carry any soon.

I'm currently on Blast Plus and I'm thinking of just going to Blast only and going OTA antenna for the locals.

I haven't heard if the Minneapolis system is also being upgraded. That system was swapped from Time Warner and is Cisco/SA based. The St. Paul side is ex ATT Broadband and is Motorola based.

Bobs31

@comcast.net

Encryped as of today, November 7,Somerset NJ served out of Hillsborough.

One channel explaining the need to get a DTA

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Bobs31 :

Encrypted as of today, November 7, Somerset NJ served out of Hillsborough.

OK, thanks, that is in the Comcast of Central New Jersey system, I believe, then.

The encryption is getting real close now to my Monmouth County, NJ system!

Herschell

@swissvpn.net

As of today, November 7, Tacoma, WA is encrypted.

SeattleUser

@comcast.net

Seattle (Eastlake) encrypted this morning between 2am and 8am.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

said by Herschell :

As of today, November 7, Tacoma, WA is encrypted.

said by SeattleUser :

Seattle (Eastlake) encrypted this morning between 2am and 8am.

OK, thanks, from previous postings (»[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here), it looked like the Seattle and Tacoma systems were originally scheduled to go encrypted on Tuesday (Nov. 5th).

It appears then, it was delayed 2 days for some reason.

badcomcast

@comcast.net
reply to telcodad

Seattle Washington encrypted on 11/7/2013

lupus

join:2001-08-01
Bellevue, WA
reply to telcodad

Today, Bellevue WA. Now I've got to say goodbye to my old HDHomeRun. Guess I'll pick up SilconDust's HDHomeRun Prime which accepts CableCARD.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

A report in the "Say goodbye to ClearQAM" thread that, as of Nov. 7th, the Limited Basic tier is encrypted in the Tucson, AZ area:

From »Re: [Content] Say goodbye to ClearQAM :

said by bbbobbb:

No more ClearQAM in Tucson (Pima County) area, gone, gone, gone last night...

billacuda

@comcast.net
reply to badcomcast

Comcast encrypted in Kent, WA in the last two days as well. I guess my HDHR's will be receiving signals from antennas from now on.

chong67

join:2001-11-18
Jonesboro, GA
reply to telcodad

I live in South Atlanta and I got a letter along with my bill that it will start the encryption on Dec 10, 2013.

I am looking for an indoor antenna now. I am not paying to watch TV.

prev page · 1 · 2 · 3 · 4 · 5 · 6 · 7 · next