telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

3 edits

telcodad

MVM

[Content] Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

Recently, Comcast has started notifying subscribers that they will start encrypting the Limited Basic service (B1) tier »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ryption/

Also see this article on GigaOM: »gigaom.com/2013/04/15/co ··· ryption/

Once all channels are encrypted, subscribers will need a set-top box, digital transport adapter (DTA), or a retail CableCARD-equipped device to be connected to each TV. "Clear QAM" tuners in the latest HDTVs will not be able to decode them: »[Content] Say goodbye to ClearQAM

An example of the notices that affected subscribers will receive, at least 30 days prior to the start of this encryption, can be seen here: »Re: Comcast is going to SCAM their customers

If/when you receive such notice, please post your location and the start date of encryption in this thread.

Thanks,

telcodad

See also ---> »ClearQAM Gone in Ypsilanti MI
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

From some already existing posts:

Indian Orchard, MA starting on 6/18/13:
»Re: Comcast is going to SCAM their customers

Springfield, IL starting on 6/25/13:
»Springfield, IL limited basic encrypting 6/25/13
neufuse
join:2006-12-06
James Creek, PA

neufuse to telcodad

to telcodad
not really a notice but our area has been 100% encrypted for almost a year now... only thing we get that isn't is the test analog channels that you don't see unless you put the Cable directly onto an NTSC analog tuner and scan for channels and all they say is we've went all digital basically call 1-800-comcast

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by neufuse:

not really a notice but our area has been 100% encrypted for almost a year now... only thing we get that isn't is the test analog channels that you don't see unless you put the Cable directly onto an NTSC analog tuner and scan for channels and all they say is we've went all digital basically call 1-800-comcast

What you're talking about is the Comcast "Digital Migration":
See: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· igration and »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· gration/

After the digital migration, all analog channels were removed and you needed a device (e.g. a new HDTV) that had a "Clear QAM" digital tuner to watch those channels. The "Clear" in Clear QAM means that the digital signal is not encrypted.

Comcast had encrypted most of the premium channels in the higher tiers (Digital Starter, Preferred Digital, etc.) but by FCC rule could not encrypt the Limited Basic (B1) tier channels.

However, as of Dec 10, 2012, cable companies are now allowed by the FCC to encrypt even their Limited Basic tier channels, so that a STB/DVR, DTA or a CableCARD obtained from the cable company must be used to watch any channel on these fully-encrypted systems now.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse

no I am not, read what I said, All channels where encrypted I can not pick up a single QAM channel in the clear... when we went ADS 4 years ago we had locals in HD in the clear as QAM clear channels... 2yrs ago we did the digital migration.. just last year all those went encrypted as well, leaving us with 100% encrypted digital

I only said we only had a few analogs left with that message because that is the only "non encrypted" thing left

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by neufuse:

said by neufuse:

no I am not, read what I said, All channels where encrypted I can not pick up a single QAM channel in the clear... when we went ADS 4 years ago we had locals in HD in the clear as QAM clear channels... 2yrs ago we did the digital migration.. just last year all those went encrypted as well, leaving us with 100% encrypted digital

I only said we only had a few analogs left with that message because that is the only "non encrypted" thing left

Sorry, but given that the FCC only permitted cable companies to encrypt the Limited Basic tier as of last Dec. 10th, and you said that yours had been that way "for almost a year now" and the message that you see is "all they say is we've went all digital," I did not think it was likely that all your channels had been encrypted yet, but just had gone all-digital.

If they are indeed all encrypted, then your system must have been one of the few that received a special waiver to do that prior to now.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

More likely that his clear HD QAMs were in a trapped out range which is why he couldn't see them. This has happened before.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Looks like Spokane, WA is going encrypted as of July 30th:

Comcast sets date for the final switch, encrypting limited basic channels
The Spokesman-Review - June 3, 2013
»www.spokesman.com/blogs/ ··· hannels/

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom to telcodad

to telcodad
Bet they pick up alot of new subcriptions for local channels. I heard when Comcast phased out analog afew years ago they saw a 17% increase in people signing up for basic channels.
neufuse
James Creek, PA

neufuse to telcodad

to telcodad
I am not kidding when I say all QAM channels are encrypted... we had to get boxes for every QAM capable turner in the house last year when they started switching them over in groups... before that we only had locals unencrypted and a few of the community channels... now even those are gone...
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

OK, but the point I think you're missing is...when CC started switching off expanded basic analogs last year, they were already encrypting THOSE EB channels in the majority of service areas...including ours. As even you just stated, that encryption did NOT included locals/community channels - which IS limited basic (B1) channels.
said by neufuse:

...before that we only had locals unencrypted and a few of the community channels... now even those are gone...

NOW, those B1 channels ARE being encrypted, which as telcodad has pointed out to you, is just now across the country. (seems to be going from east to west coast...)

Bottom line - YOUR system is no different than the rest...

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to neufuse

MVM

to neufuse
said by neufuse:

I am not kidding when I say all QAM channels are encrypted... we had to get boxes for every QAM capable turner in the house last year when they started switching them over in groups... before that we only had locals unencrypted and a few of the community channels... now even those are gone...

OK, then as I had said, Comcast must have received a special waiver from the FCC to fully encrypt your particular system back then.

Maybe you were a trial market for that?

BigBearsFan
join:2009-08-01
Galesburg, IL

BigBearsFan to telcodad

to telcodad
Galesburg Il 7/9/13 must have device on every tv.
timtom83
join:2012-11-15

timtom83 to telcodad

to telcodad
Boulder and Fort Collins June 30
cwm1276
join:2004-01-16
Stillman Valley, IL

cwm1276 to telcodad

to telcodad
Rockford, IL 7/16/13
jrose78
join:2005-02-10
USA

jrose78

My town in Ma is now encrypting and I had no idea it was coming. I came home to watch the Stanley Cup and I turned on my tv and it said the channel was scrambled. The only notice that I got was on the bill. I check my bill online but it seems unless you click view/pdf full bill then you don't see the announcement. Needless to say I had to get Aereo service just so I could watch the game. I am not going to say that Comcast decided to encrypt in MA during the Stanley cup with the Bruins but they should have postponed it. The nearest location for me to pick up the box is 40 minutes away and if I try and drop basic service my bill goes up by 10.00 because I am not bundled. There is no other service in my area (no dsl, no fiber, and I can't get sat because I am in a Condo) . I am too far away from broadcast station to get reception over an antenna. I have without a doubt no choice at all.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

OK, looks like areas around MA started encrypting this week: »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here
novanosis
join:2011-02-21

novanosis to telcodad

to telcodad
Already posted sorry.
JohnL
Hello . . . .
join:2001-03-08
Somerville, MA

JohnL to telcodad

to telcodad
Started In Somerville, Massachusetts , 7-9-13

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to cwm1276

MVM

to cwm1276
said by cwm1276:

Rockford, IL 7/16/13

FYI - An article about that on a local TV station site:

Information Concerning Comcast Encryption Notice
WIFR-TV - July 19, 2013
»www.wifr.com/news/headli ··· 761.html
grod46
join:2012-11-25
Fresno, CA

grod46 to telcodad

to telcodad

[Content] Almost here for me

Just got the notice with my bill in the mail, I will try to find it to find it to find the exact date (Firebaugh,Ca Fresno County)
grod46

grod46

[Content] Re: Almost here for me

Found it, Here it is (Sorry it was too big when i uploaded it here)

»docs.google.com/file/d/0 ··· =sharing

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to grod46

MVM

to grod46
Click for full size
Firebaugh, CA Notice
Firebaugh, CA (Fresno County) - August 13, 2013

Thanks - fixed it for you.

ScottK
@systemsbiology.net

ScottK

Anon

Comcast encrypted Limited Basic in Seattle, WA, on Thursday, July 18th without any kind of nonfiction. I have two Silicon Dust boxes that I used to watch and record (Windows 7 Media Center) Clear QAM of local broadcast stations, due to poor over the air reception (a lot of interference where I live). Now I have nothing and the Silicon Dust boxes are useless. Comcast sent me a "HD DTA" so I can watch live TV. Now I will have to see if this is will be in HD (like I had) or SD.

fabero74
join:2003-03-28
Gales Ferry, CT

fabero74 to telcodad

to telcodad

[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here

Groton,CT - Got notice on my latest bill that Limited Basic will be encrypted starting 9/17/13.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Bethel, CT - encryption of Limited Basic service starts on Sept. 17, 2013.

Notice arrived with July 23 bill.
oldhand
Premium Member
join:2003-05-16
Saugus, MA

oldhand to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
In Saugus, MA, Limited Basic encryption begins 9/24/2013.
dcontto
join:2013-08-05
Sacramento, CA

dcontto

In Sacramento 9/17. Please advise from others have been converted to see if a box is indeed needed. I subscribe to limited and have qam on HDTV. Need to see if boxes for HD OTC channels is indeed needed or the qam will still work. Thank you!

Spiderman865
join:2005-12-27
Joliet, IL

1 edit

Spiderman865 to telcodad

to telcodad
9/24 Romeoville IL system (Chicago Suburbs). Notice was on my August 3rd bill.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to dcontto

MVM

to dcontto
said by dcontto:

In Sacramento 9/17. Please advise from others have been converted to see if a box is indeed needed. I subscribe to limited and have qam on HDTV. Need to see if boxes for HD OTC channels is indeed needed or the qam will still work. Thank you!

As is stated in the first post of this thread, once the Limited Basic channels (including the OTA ones) are encrypted, you will need a set-top box, digital transport adapter (DTA), or a retail CableCARD-equipped device to be connected to the TV. The QAM tuner in your HDTV will not be able to decode them.

It seems Comcast has been sending out HD-DTAs to Limited Basic subscribers without any equipment listed on their account. You can also call the 1-855-860-8989 number to arrange for one to be sent to you.

For more info on this see: »customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ryption/