spc
Search similar:

uniqs

weston631
@optonline.net

weston631

Anon

[Windows] Wired/Wireless Desktop Question

I just purchased a desktop with Windows 7 Home Premium. The desktop comes with both an Integrated (Gigabit) Ethernet Port and Internally installed wireless LAN mini-card. Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)

I also just ordered Verizon FiOS, which I know comes with a wireless router.

I'd like to use a wired connection all the time, but have the option of using the wireless connection if I ever need to.

Do I need to set anything up in Windows 7 so it uses the wired connection all the time, but gives me the option to switch to a wireless connection?

Will it just default automatically to a wired connection, and if I pull the ethernet cable out it would go to a wireless connection?

Thank you so much!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

As long as the Ethernet cable is connected, the computer should automatically set up the connection. The wireless connection can be set to automatically connect all the time it detects the approved wireless network. If you are connected by Ethernet, you would also be connected by WiFi in this situation. I do not know of any easy way to set up an automatic switch-over from Ethernet to WiFi.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

1 recommendation

tschmidt to weston631

MVM

to weston631
When the system boots and it detects both wired and wireless connection it "should" preferentially use wired.

The best strategy is as davidhoffman See Profile posted and disable Wi-Fi. On laptops that is normally a physical switch. Since this is an add in card on a desktop that is probably not an option. Go to Network Connection and click on the wireless interface and enable or disable as needed.

/tom
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to weston631

MVM

to weston631
said by weston631 :

Do I need to set anything up in Windows 7 so it uses the wired connection all the time, but gives me the option to switch to a wireless connection?

Second what the previous posters have said. Non-server versions of Windows don't have the brains anyways to
determine which network to use when plugged into multiple networks.

Regards

weston631
@optonline.net

weston631

Anon

Thank you so much for the responses. I really appreciate it.

I don't have a lot of computer expertise, especially in networking, so I wanted to make sure I understand correctly.

Basically, if I wanted to use a wired connection at all times, but have the option to go wireless in the future with the desktop, I just plug in the ethernet cable and use the wired connection, but first go into "Network and Sharing Center" and disable the wireless connection?

Then if I decide I want/need the wireless connection, I just take the ethernet cable out and go into "Network and Sharing Center" and enable the wireless connection?

Thank you!
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Yes.