spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

huninator

@cox.net

[HN9000] port forwarding with static ip

I know this has been asked before but i can't find a solution. Short of the long is that i have a HN9000 at a very remote location and am paying for a static ip. I have a netgear N600 with ports forwarded to different things. One is an internet based/controlled sprinkler time clock, the other is security cams. From what i have read i should have no problem accessing these things because i have a static ip. Well that just isn't the case. the only port that is open is 8080 which allows me to access my router. none of the other ports will pass through the HN9000. They should right? Is it possible that i have a static ip but somehow it is not a public/global ip? I am expecting a call back from the hughesnet "engineers" but have yet received it. Its been almost 2 days. What is the issue here. Please help.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5

If you can access your router then you have a static IP with all ports open. From that point the difficulty in forwarding ports is all in the router, many of which are downright Machiavellian in the complexity of doing so. I'm not familiar with the N600, but I have one Netgear router that requires at least three separate settings to be correct before it will forward anything.
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

huninator

@cox.net

Is there anyway you could post the 3 settings you have eluded too with your netgear? Because the static ip is in place and I can not for the life of me get this thing working. I've tried every setting I can think of. Also are static and public ip's synonymous is the Hughes net world. There is no way to have a static ip without a public ip?

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

I am a long ways away from that router, and won't return anytime soon.

On the public/static thing it is the other way around. No way to have a public IP on Hughes without a static IP. Normal dynamic IPs have all ports closed, static IPs have all ports open.
--

huninator

@cox.net

i think perhaps my problem is double NAT. Any idea how to turn NAT off on my router? i also have a wrt54g that i would like to turn it off in as well. Also can you recommend an online open port checker

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa

The online open port checkers will usually report all ports open for Hughes users whether they are or not, so no.

NAT is not something you are likely to be able to turn off in anything except a commercial router, but in any case it doesn't matter. My home webcams are behind a router behind a router behind a DSL router/modem, in other words triple NAT. I have to port forward from the modem to the first router, then from the first router to the second, then from the second to the camera recorder. Other than figuring out the commands to forward (and almost always you have to also open the ports in the router's firewall) it doesn't matter how deep you are NATed.
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to huninator

I should note that the most common reason that people have trouble port-forwarding with Hughes is that they are using the wrong IPs. Either they don't have their router statically configured to the correct IP, or they are coming from the internet to the modem IP instead of the router IP, or both.

I have assumed that you did not make these mistakes, because you have said that you could access your router using the static IP, not possible if you have the wrong IP.
--

huninator

@cox.net
reply to dbirdman

Thats strange because the port checkers that i have used report most ports to be closed even when i have DMZ enabled. The weird thing is that it will show some of the ports that i have enabled open at random times when checked multiple times within five minutes or so. That makes no sense to me. 8080 is the only port that consistently is shown open but even that port will show randomly closed. i am still able to access the router though. If double NAT is not the issue then i don't know what else to try besides a different router which i will try as soon as i am able to get on location. The wrt54g that is there IS set up statically. What about DNS servers? I had to input those as well but used the same DNS ip's that showed when router was set up as DHCP. As far as the wrong ip.....ya i don't think thats what i am doing because of access to the router, but just as a check i just tried it with the other ip. I called hughes net again and they did turn off the turbo page but that did not help.

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to huninator

How did U get a static IP? I too have a HN9000 and they're telling me GEN4 can not get a static IP.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified