uniqs

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

CS:GO running slow

I installed CS:GO on my system last night to find it running slow. From looking around the web it seems this problem may or may not have come up in a patch on December of 2012 and has yet to be addressed.

Amd FX 8120 8 core processor
2 Radeon 6970's
8 GB ddr3 ram
Gigabyte mobo

It runs slow and choppy on that system with all game settings at minimum. So for shits and giggles I installed on my secondary machine.

Amd 9550 quad core processor
Radeon 4870 (Single card on this machine)
4 GB dd2 ram
ASRock mobo

It runs 100% totally smooth on this system with the game settings set for what the game recommends.

The drivers are up to date on the main machine (they aren't on the secondary machine) and I even tried playing with settings in CCC which didn't help any. The game also loads slowly with minimal hdd activity while loading as to where the secondary machine can load up the game in about half that time.

Any ideas on where to look next? Search results on the web aren't coming up with any solutions aside from quite a few people saying it was a patch in December that caused the problem.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864

Is it possible you are running into Crossfire / driver issues? To know for sure, disable it in CCC and check how it runs. 6970 is much faster than 4870. If the game is smooth on the 2nd machine, it should run very well on the first.

Cthen
Premium Member
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

I tried disabling crossfire this morning but there was no change.

This really puzzles me as well. The 2nd machine has a bit less than half the power of my main rig yet it can run the game very well while my main rig chokes.

kvn864
join:2001-12-18
Sun City, AZ

kvn864

Maybe to see a real picture it would require removing second video card, try, uninstall AMD driver (use Windows supplied one, try, reinstall AMD driver, try. You are running into some weird software issue with this, and if google isnt returning much results, I am afraid this is how youd know the culprit.

LaZ3R
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

LaZ3R to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
Perhaps your monitor is plugged into your on-board graphics from your motherboard as opposed to the video card? I've seen it happen before lol..

What about other games? Everything running slow with that setup or is it only GO?

Cthen
Premium Member
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

No on board video.

So far it seems to only be CS:GO with this problem. Tf2 is fine and I can maintain around 200fps with the settings in that game maxed out. The single player games (Bastion, Brutal Legend, etc) are all fine. Ace Combat: Assault Horizon which is both single player and multi-player is fine as well on both.

I also went as far as reinstalling the game, trying the lowest of low ball resolutions (went back to 1680x1050 as there was no affect there) with no change either, and tried window mode too.

I'm wondering if this is one of those things that I will have to wait for Valve, AMD, or both to patch.
Cthen

Cthen to kvn864

Premium Member

to kvn864
said by kvn864:

Maybe to see a real picture it would require removing second video card, try, uninstall AMD driver (use Windows supplied one, try, reinstall AMD driver, try. You are running into some weird software issue with this, and if google isnt returning much results, I am afraid this is how youd know the culprit.

Just gave this a go real quick and no change still.

Woody79_00
I run Linux am I still a PC?
Premium Member
join:2004-07-08
united state

Woody79_00

Premium Member

Do you have Cool & Quiet, C1E, etc enabled in the BIOS on the FX 8150?

Try disabling Cool & Quiet, C1E and then and enabling HPC(High Performance Computing)

»www.tomshardware.com/for ··· hat-mode

There is an option called HPC Mode that prevents the CPU from lowering its clock rate under load."

Try disabling those settings in the BIOS and/or changing your power plan to High Performance, reboot and try the game and see if it still stutters.

Please keep an eye on your temps when doing this. Since your disabling these power saving features, your CPU may run hotter then it has in the past. Make sure your FX 8150 does NOT go over 70c or you will be reaching the danger zone for the CPU
Woody79_00

Woody79_00 to Cthen

Premium Member

to Cthen
Give it a shot, let us know how it goes.

Cthen
Premium Member
Detroit, MI

Cthen to Woody79_00

Premium Member

to Woody79_00
Gave that a try and it's still running the same.

It's almost as if this game is taunting me.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

Based on the information you've given us and after reading all of the failed results from suggestions you've received I'm inclined to come to the conclusion that either the game's files or install could be out of whack or your CCC control panel settings are too high. I would suggest that you'll want to give that a shot.

Just go on Steam, right click on CS:GO in the menu and choose 'Delete Local Content'. I've had issues somewhat similar to what you're experiencing and I managed to correct them simply by just removing and reinstalling the game.

Going through a quick troubleshooting checklist:

- up to date video drivers
- CCC settings (You could try and choose the option to reset ALL settings to factory and then working your settings back up slowly)
- Crossfire issues ruled out
- Remove one of the 6970's completely and run the game off just 1
- Correct monitor input

If all of that general stuff does indeed check out then it truly is a mystery. A slower PC is running CS:GO better than your faster, main rig? That's certainly odd.

Why don't you give my suggestions a try. Granted, their not ground shattering or earth moving suggestions. But these are suggestions none the less that have solved many issues for me. But just a word of warning though, that if this really does fix your problem, then be prepared to face palm at how stupid easy some computer solutions really can be.

So, go ahead and just try a remove and reinstall of the CS:GO game files. If that doesn't fix the problem THEN you try the reset of all CCC settings to factory/default and reapplying settings one by one. You could also try resetting ALL video settings in the actual CS:GO main menu options screen. Lower everything there and reapply each setting one by one.

If you haven't already learned by now.... 99.9% of all PC troubleshooting is about being patient and zeroing in on the problem by process of elimination.

Then come back here and report with an update on the situation.

Cthen
Premium Member
Detroit, MI

Cthen

Premium Member

Finally after some more digging around between posts, I have found a fix. It seems it is a problem with the way Gigabyte mobo's bios run FX series processors.

There are 2 ways to fix this. First is obviously update the bios, the other, if an update is not available, this little program ( »dl.dropbox.com/u/6547435 ··· -CEG.zip ) will do a temp fix and reverts all changes upon reboot. Just start it and close it on the Windows desktop.

Found in this thread here:
»forums.steampowered.com/ ··· 5&page=7

I fired up the program, fired up CS:GO, and it loaded much faster. Joined a quick game and it ran smooth as silk. Adjusted the eye candy higher and it still runs smooth.

Looks like I'm off to flash the bios to make this permanent.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU

That's great! I'm glad you were able to find a solution to your PC issues.