Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Favorite non-USB headset?

My Logitech G930 headset is dying, with the wifi adapter on them resetting up to every 30 seconds.

I would like to get a pair of wired, non-USB headphones so i can take advantage of a sound card. I prefer 5.1/7.1 w/at least 50mm drivers.

Any ideas?

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

Ghastlyone See Profile introduced me to the Tactic Sigma 3D by Creative:

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 29102037

You can take off the USB attachment and connect it directly to your soundcard, the cord was a little shorter than my older Razer Carcharias, but they're an excellent set of headphones otherwise.
El Quintron

El Quintron to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
What soundcard are you using?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by El Quintron:

What soundcard are you using?

I'm using the integrated one on the Asus Maximus V Formula, which has gotten some pretty superb reviews.

If I can find the external ThunderFX that goes with some variants of the MVF, even better. My Klipsch 2.1s sound amazing through it, and I didn't want to buy another headset that forces me to go through USB.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

I didn't want to buy another headset that forces me to go through USB.

Fair enough, I haven't tested the Sigmas without the USB Dongle, but the 50mm magnet makes for some really deep sound.

YMMV with this, but I did try very hard to configure my old Razers with my Xonar DG to get decent 5.1/7.1 and it wasn't an easy task, in fact it's why I ended up picking up the Sigmas in the first place.

I'd research the sound card in great detail before committing to it, if your experience is anything like mine you may end up with a USB headset whether you want it or not.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Wonder how good these would be:

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· =&sr=8-1

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Wonder how good these would be:

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· =&sr=8-1

Those look pretty awesome, they're a chunk more than than the Sigmas how much were the G930s?

I'm assuming these are better than the Sigmas, do these have 7 actual speakers in each ear, with a subwoofer? (or headphone equivalent)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Amazon has a used/like new copy for $130. Given that they use a USB connector for power then have five 3.5mm plugs, I am guessing it is true 7.1.

The G930s were $110-120 when I got them.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Given that they use a USB connector for power then have five 3.5mm plugs, I am guessing it is true 7.1.

Sounds like it, are you going to pull the trigger on these anytime soon?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Heck, why not. Getting them delivered tomorrow. $130 for a refurbished pair isn't bad.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

Heck, why not. Getting them delivered tomorrow. $130 for a refurbished pair isn't bad.

Let me know what you think, they're only 156 CAD, which is entirely reasonable.

EQ

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Do many games use 7.1? Maybe it's time I get off my lazy ass and set up my last 2 speakers..

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Moos:

Do many games use 7.1? Maybe it's time I get off my lazy ass and set up my last 2 speakers..

There's a writeup on it here:

»stuffiputupwith.net/audio.html

My understanding is that games that support it will output in 7.1, and games that don't will output in 7.0 when a 7.1 setup is being used.

There's some worthwhile material there.

a2nxtcrav3r
Pokes People With Stick
Premium Member
join:2003-07-13
San Jose, CA

a2nxtcrav3r to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
audio technica A900X

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I'm interested to hear back from you on those Kris.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I had a nice long review typed out but DSLR ate it (fucking qreply, I swear...).

The headphones are nice--they require 1x USB for power and all 5x audio connectors. There are no drivers and interface with either your onboard sound or your sound card.

I'm still tweaking the settings but they sound good. Everyone says my mic sounds worse but I can't tell if that's a settings problem or a hardware problem.

It comes with a cool volume control hockey puck that can adjust all levels manually (front/center/sides/back/woofer), and also includes 5.1/7.1 OUT so you can connect your speakers to the puck and switch between headphones and speakers with a click of a button. It also has line mute on it.

The mic itself will retract up into the headphones, which is cool (I guess).

In terms of cost, they are very much on the pricey end, but I don't want to say they are too expensive as I have not yet tapped their full potential (which will require a sound card).

If you don't want to go through a sound card, the wired Corsair Vengeance headphones probably are in the sweet spot for price/performance.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

I had a nice long review typed out but DSLR ate it (fucking qreply, I swear...).

Control + V when qreplying
said by Krisnatharok:

The headphones are nice--they require 1x USB for power and all 5x audio connectors. There are no drivers and interface with either your onboard sound or your sound card.

I'm still tweaking the settings but they sound good. Everyone says my mic sounds worse but I can't tell if that's a settings problem or a hardware problem.

It comes with a cool volume control hockey puck that can adjust all levels manually (front/center/sides/back/woofer), and also includes 5.1/7.1 OUT so you can connect your speakers to the puck and switch between headphones and speakers with a click of a button. It also has line mute on it.

The mic itself will retract up into the headphones, which is cool (I guess).

In terms of cost, they are very much on the pricey end, but I don't want to say they are too expensive as I have not yet tapped their full potential (which will require a sound card).

If you don't want to go through a sound card, the wired Corsair Vengeance headphones probably are in the sweet spot for price/performance.

These do sound interesting. I'm catching a vibe from your post though as if you're not 100% satisfied with these headphones?

I can't recommend my Sigma Tactics enough though. For 60 bucks, they sound awesome. (but they're not 7.1)

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well yeah, for $130, I was expecting a little "zomg awesomeness" out of the box. It might just be the sound card on my motherboard, or my lack of finesse in adjusting the equalizer. So I am hesitant to blame the headphones.

I have wanted to get a sound card, though, so I will reserve final judgement whenever I end up getting one and hooking this up to that.

Raible
join:2008-01-23
Plainfield, IN

Raible to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Haha. I thought that was just me!
said by Krisnatharok:

I commented on my Corsair Vengeance in another thread. I think they are a nice headset. Well built. Sound great. Nice braided cord, nice sound control dongle. But damn they are uncomfortable. I am gun shy now about buying headphones. I will do everything I can to try a set on before I buy the next pair. I don't consider myself as having a weird shaped head either.

Hypnotics
join:2009-08-19
Bryan, TX

Hypnotics to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I have these and they sound amazing. Extremely wide Sound stage. Look a little different, but the sounds they can produce more than make up for it. They are very comfortable and made exceptionally well. »www.amazon.com/Technica- ··· s=ad+700

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron to Raible

Premium Member

to Raible
said by Raible:

But damn they are uncomfortable.

This is exactly why I went with the creatives, and the Razers before that.