Search similar:

uniqs
JimmyK814
join:2010-12-29
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

Atlantic Broadband Tivo deal

In Tivo's press release for May 23rd, they mention:

"Additionally, we signed a distribution deal with Atlantic Broadband, the 12th largest U.S. MSO, who has over 250,000 subscribers in seven states on the East Coast."

I suspect this means we may soon have an alternative to the horrible DVR software on the current STBs.

Just wondered if anyone else has heard anything, and when there may be some availability. Hopefully this is at the end stages and not the beginning.
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os

Re: Atlantic Broadband Tivo deal

I had heard that TiVo would be coming to ABB, but this is the first I've heard about it in a while.

I hope that they will be coming soon, and I hope there's some promotions to encourage people to sign up for them.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

I've heard the same thing for a little while, but that's the first real evidence of any of it materializing.
ABBJason
join:2010-06-03
Altoona, PA

ABBJason to JimmyK814

to JimmyK814
I did mention in another thread it is coming. It is still coming, this year as far as we know, and we don't know much more than that yet. The tivo boxes use MoCa and we have just begun deploying MoCa wireless gateways as well. There are a lot of equipment changes in our system coming, and rollout is slow as testing and training is done, but it is coming.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

Sounds good. I guess it's just a matter of waiting it out. I'm anxious to see what's coming.
Os
US

Os to ABBJason

to ABBJason
So they're finally going to stop issuing those 1999 Motorola/General Instrument digital cable boxes?

Here in Cumberland, those things were still being installed as of 2011. I couldn't believe it.
JimmyK814
Altoona, PA

JimmyK814

Same thing here with the old Scientific Atlanta boxes. Non-HD customers usually get a 10-12 yr old or older STB like an Explorer 3000-3200. HD customers will still be installed with a 2005-2006 8300HDC, but in some cases there are some newer 8652HDC's put out there.

The newest boxes support MPEG-4 which must not be in the works because if it were, you would think they would be slowly swapping out the older ones over time and not still handing them out.

Those $9.95 fees every month for these old things would have paid for them a hundred times over.
JimmyK814

JimmyK814 to ABBJason

to ABBJason
I called and asked yesterday. I talked to the woman who answers the phone when you select "new customers" because I didn't have time to wait on hold.

She said TiVo may be coming by the end of the year but she wasn't sure.

Sadly, she also said that there are no longer any HD upgrades planned in PA. When I referred to the article a while back in the newspaper about additional channels by the end of the year, she said those were now slated for other areas and Pennsylvania will maintain what they have - and Altoona about 50 channels.

When I brought up that other services, i.e. satellite have many more options for HD, she surprisingly started telling me how those channels aren't true HD (which is true if you look at HD Lite discussions) but just when I thought she was knowledgeable, she went on to say that satellite just upgrades standard channels and they modify the "film" so that it looks like HD but it's not.

So now I don't know if she is uninformed, misinformed, or if she really heard that there is no longer any planned upgrades.
Os
US

Os

OK, so if Altoona isn't getting the upgrades, we are. I can live with that. 78 HD channels is not enough as far as I'm concerned.