Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Cyborg4

join:2001-01-17
Fort Lauderdale, FL

2 edits

can't connect to wireless of Asus RT-N66U

I just bought this wireless router, in hopes to solve issues I had with the 3801HGV, mainly not having 5ghz for my tv, very low signal at the bedroom and dropping connections a lot.
After following some instructions, how to setup the 3801HGV in "semi bridged mode" and use only the N66U for everything else, I downloaded the newest firmware for the N66U and upgraded to it (xx354)
I disabled wireless from the 3801HGV and setup the N66U.
To my surprise, everything went without a hitch and I was able to connect all my devices wirelessly.
I rebooted the routers and computers and all was working great.
For the first time I saw my TV connecting to the 5GHz band, since the 3801HGV didn't have that.
In total I connected 2 wired (cat5) and 4 wireless devises and everything worked fine all day.
I have excellent signal in my bedroom now.
This morning I get up and I worked on my computer on the internet (this one is connected by cat5). When I wanted to print something, I got the error that the printer is not available.
Fast forward:
Nothing connects to the wireless connection at all. I rebooted everything several times, I also shut off the N66U and let it cool down (I read about overheating problems) to no avail.
I'm at a total loss. I can connect up to 4 devices by cat 5, they all get an IP assigned and immediately work without a problem. All my wireless devices can see the wireless 2.4ghz and 5ghz, the signal strength is excellent, they try to connect, but time out (even my TV, which is on the 5ghz part).
I tried to leave the wireless on open system and all the other methods and back to WPA2-Personal and none changed the fact that nothing connects.
I don't get any specific error messages, other then timeouts when trying to connect.
I had my settings from yesterday saved and reloaded them several times, I tried to change channels 1-11 and lower and upper etc., nothing seems to be working.

One more thing, my Android phone sees the "remembered Network, secured with .....", I then tap connect.
It tries to connect, says obtaining IP and then stays in a loop trying to connect.
Sometimes, It changes the "remembered Network" under my wireless name to "disabled, secured with ....."
I'm totally lost at this point.

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Cyborg4:

I downloaded the newest firmware for the N66U and upgraded to it (xx354)

I think that's the beta firmware and it has bugs with 5 GHz, see here:

»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···?t=11207

Try the 3.0.0.4.270 firmware.
--
TekSavvy 28/1 cable - Technicolor DCM476 - Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite - Amer Networks SGD8 switch - ASUS RT-N66U (as WAP)

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
said by Fraoch:

said by Cyborg4:

I downloaded the newest firmware for the N66U and upgraded to it (xx354)

I think that's the beta firmware and it has bugs with 5 GHz, see here:

»forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showt···?t=11207

Try the 3.0.0.4.270 firmware.

+1 Excellent advice. Asus doesnt make it clear enough that its beta firmware and NOT necessarily STABLE.
--
Ain't nuthin but the blues! "Albert Collins".
Leave your troubles at the door! "Pepe Peregil" De Sevilla. Just Don't Wifi without WPA, "Yul Brenner"

LlamaWorks Equipment

Cyborg4

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Cyborg4
I switched to the xx270 firmware, but still the same problem.

I just don't understand, that I can connect several computers/devices by cat5 , they all get an IP and work flawless.
They all see the wireless network, but can't connect to it.
The laptop keeps trying, but says the router needs to be rebooted. Gosh, I'm going nuts.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
Wonder if there is an issue with duplicate IPs, one for cat 5 and one for wifi for the same device???

Fraoch

join:2003-08-01
Cambridge, ON
kudos:2
reply to Cyborg4
How new is the router? Sounds like you should get it replaced under warranty.

Cyborg4

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Cyborg4
I think I found the problem.
I still want to make sure it is what I think it is, so give me a couple of days and I will come back with a full report of my findings.

Cyborg4

Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Cyborg4
Still working.
it's working all week now without a single problem, I'm very happy.

A week ago, I almost gave up and shut the system off. Two days later, just before I was ready to pack up the router and send it back, I turned on the system and it worked flawlessly. I had no idea why. I rebooted my computer and I had no more wireless. Hmmmm, now I got really curious. What's going on? It seemed to be a hit or miss whenever I rebooted my main computer, which is connected by cat5 and always worked with internet.
I started to turn off programs that automatically started when the computer started and there it was, once I disabled it, wireless worked flawlessly and everything was able to connect, once I enabled it, wireless became a hit and miss (more miss than hit though).

The culprit was a program I installed a few weeks earlier and is called: Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX

Maybe this helps someone else.