Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

Re: Cogeco Analog Only Channels

It is a true cutoff with no remaining analog. The partial cutoff like what you described already happened two years ago. Everything from 2 through 115 will be digital QAMs or DOCSIS.

This is happening in Hamilton and parts of Halton Region. I expect it will be rolled out in other areas shortly thereafter.

kittyburgers
join:2012-01-31

kittyburgers

Good God! Why on earth would anything be transmitted analog these days? I would have thought that everything was digital by now. I'm surprised to hear that some sort of transition is still happening.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

The CRTC required cable BDUs to continue to transmit a limited number of basic channels until a certain threshold of digital penetration had been reached.

Either that threshold has been met, or they no longer have that requirement.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

It is a true cutoff with no remaining analog. The partial cutoff like what you described already happened two years ago. Everything from 2 through 115 will be digital QAMs or DOCSIS.

This is happening in Hamilton and parts of Halton Region. I expect it will be rolled out in other areas shortly thereafter.

The they are doing staged cutoffs. We lost everything other than about 25 analog channels last year then last week they chopped that down to 12 analog channels. I know this how? The TV in my shower has no tuner.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I don't believe Hamilton or Halton was staged. They're going from analog Basic Cable (which I believe was the 25-30 or so channels you would have got before they staged it down again) right to no analog at all.

If you look at their website though, it looks like they're going to carry HD locals in Clear QAM.
cablesmurfet
join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that all clear QAM was going to be erased. I read that the only way to receive cable signals after July 4th, 2013 will be through a receiver. Even a digital TV is not good enough. This was on a Cogeco website dedicated to the change.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

I don't believe Hamilton or Halton was staged. They're going from analog Basic Cable (which I believe was the 25-30 or so channels you would have got before they staged it down again) right to no analog at all.

If you look at their website though, it looks like they're going to carry HD locals in Clear QAM.

Wow, so the day has come....I thought about this day back in 2004ish....

If memory served me at the time it was 85% penetration before analogue could be completely cut off....

I'm surprised there are still a lot of "seniors" out there and it was for them that analogue stayed on as long as it did .

Well good, frees up tons of bandwidth for other products...bette to put 12 digital channels in the space of 1 analogue channel...just makes sense...and to carry in Clear QAM is good, but what about the channel numbers? Do those make sense? I remember seeing like 88-11 and things like that...doesn't make it easy to remember.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

then last week they chopped that down to 12 analog channels.

That's weird, AFAIK we haven't even started looking at Peterborough yet past what happened last year.

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to peterboro

to peterboro

I know this how? The TV in my shower has no tuner.

Maybe your TV got too much water
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Cogeco_Aaron

to Cogeco_Aaron
said by Cogeco_Aaron:

said by peterboro:

then last week they chopped that down to 12 analog channels.

That's weird, AFAIK we haven't even started looking at Peterborough yet past what happened last year.

Gosh, at this rate I'll be down to 3 channels in the shower!
Marcer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer

Premium Member

$20 says you lost power and your Shower TV's tuner reverted to Off Air / Antenna Mode instead of Cable TV mode. Change it back and re-scan, and you'll pick up the rest of the channels
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I have lost power on multiple occasions since last year but I will try your advice. I miss the Real Housewives of Wherever on Splice while I'm in the shower.