spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

[DVR] 7232 DVR died today

FWIW, the new(?) 7232 DVR I got at the end of March (MPEG4 swap) went belly up today. I went to watch a recorded show and it said I had no recordings - there were probably 15 on there.

At that point it started a series of six spontaneous reboots and finally, after it quit doing that, pressing the DVR button on the remote triggered a message that the DVR function was not "authorized" on the STB. After a half-hour on the phone w/ a CSR, and a bunch of "magic bullets" from his end, we both figured that either the HDD croaked or the controller circuitry died.

Can't pause live shows, etc. All other STB functions appear to work correctly.

I'm supposed to pick up a replacement tomorrow at the local FiOS store - bet I'll get a 7216 as a replacement...
jimboe
join:2000-08-14
New York

jimboe

i dont see how they could do that. You currently have a 500GB DVR.

You'd be getting a downgrade.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by jimboe:

i dont see how they could do that. You currently have a 500GB DVR.

You'd be getting a downgrade.

I asked the CSR about that and he said he wasn't sure about what I would get because I didn't pay anything when I upgraded from the 6416 to the 7232 for the MPEG4 revolution (which hasn't happened here yet, so far as I know).

However, that was last night. I called the V* store this AM and they told me they have 500 GB 7232s in stock and that's what I would get in exchange.

The weird thing is that I decided to try a reboot (from the STB menu) this AM (after I talked to the V* store) and all the DVR functions came back, including all the recorded shows, which do play. There were a couple I still wanted to watch so I'm doing that now (taking a break here). It's been running OK for about 3 hours. I'm thinking it might be a component temperature issue since the room, yesterday, was at 76° but this AM it was 71°. The DVR itself is cool to the touch as it was last night.

The CSR said that they'd gotten a batch of 7232s that had defective internal SATA cables that randomly, physically disconnected but that my particular unit was not in the S/N range supposedly affected but, who knows...

I still don't trust the darn thing so after I view the shows I wanted to see, I'm going to swap it later today - have until ~6 PM.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

The hard drive could be dying a slow death.....

Or your 7232 has the eSATA riser cable issue.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by nycdave:

The hard drive could be dying a slow death.....

Or your 7232 has the eSATA riser cable issue.

It's moot now - new one is installed and activated. I'm trying to set all my personalizations again.

The last time the replacement DVR activated it asked if I wanted to load my series settings from the "cloud". It didn't do it this time - a little work to do...
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by Rattler:

quote=nycdave See Profile
The last time the replacement DVR activated it asked if I wanted to load my series settings from the "cloud". It didn't do it this time - a little work to do...

There is menu item now to import from the cloud -- at least in IMG 1.9.4.

Rattler
Havertown, PA

Rattler

said by PJL:

There is menu item now to import from the cloud -- at least in IMG 1.9.4.

I still have 1.9.1 but when I went to set up the first of the series I had previously, a window popped up asking if I wanted to load the series settings from my previous DVR. I responded yes and all my series from the old one were loaded onto the new.

As I recall now, that's what happened with the last one and I remembered it wrong - scrambled brain.

All in all, it took about an hour to get this one set up like the previous one, including the auto activation sequence.

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Now if your recordings would magically appear.