spc
uniqs

SRidge
@rogers.com

SRidge to Drawing

Anon

to Drawing

Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

coming up on that 24hr mark :S ... still down, dont think they are answering their phones.

dbott67
join:2011-11-15
St Catharines, ON

dbott67

This is posted on his website:

"We are currently experiencing some issues with our Cable internet services due to allegations of Internet Abuses;
such as bittorrent downloads, copyright infringements and the likes which has resulted in some blockade. We are trying to switch to our Canadian ip blocks to resolve this. Please bear with us!."

I also sent him an email this morning and got this reply:

"Yes; because some of the ports have been blocked
We are trying to get COGECO Cable to make the necessary changes.
Please bear with us

Thanks"

Le Who
@videotron.ca

Le Who

Anon

Who exactly is blocking IkTel (an ISP/ISP-reseller) for p2p downloads and copyright infringement?

Cogeco?

Guy gave a pretty vague response...

bunting
@qc.ca

bunting to dbott67

Anon

to dbott67
So let me get this straight, someone blocked iktel worth no notice or warning whatsoever. Seems legit

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yeah. Just as legit as the people who claim they've never had any service interruptions.

fry guy
@qc.ca

fry guy

Anon

Let's give Alan Ik some credit, we complained about no communication , now we get it. Step two is communication that isn't clearly a lie
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Yeah. Just as legit as the people who claim they've never had any service interruptions.

I never said I never experienced any downtimes. ikTel obviously hasn't been up 24/7, 365 days a year, and I know that. Obviously you can't read. I agree this is BS. I wouldn't be surprised to seeing people leave ikTel in droves after this fiasco. That's what Gone is here for, to spam for other ISP's in the ikTel thread.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Looks like you Internet connection finally came back up, eh?
loyd
join:2012-09-24
Toronto, ON

loyd to fry guy

to fry guy
44hrs no internet and counting.

Why is there no media coverage and lawsuit similar as in Canipre vs Teksavvy ?

If someone upstream really turned entire IKTEL off because some customers are allegedly downloading copyrighted files, I think IKTEL would have strong case to bite that vendor extremely hard. This is not the police state and this is not how things are done in Canada, we don't shut down entire city with 600k population just because there may be one criminal on the loose and we don't disconnect the ISP because a customers may be downloading copyrighted content.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I think it's far more likely that you aren't being told the truth.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to iamdrumming

Anon

to iamdrumming
said by iamdrumming:

That's what Gone is here for, to spam for other ISP's in the ikTel thread.

Gone is a lot of things (and more )... But spamming.. hmm... nah. He's not a fanboi spammer type.

Hm
@videotron.ca

Hm to loyd

Anon

to loyd
said by loyd:

If someone upstream really turned entire IKTEL off because some customers are allegedly downloading copyrighted files, I think IKTEL would have strong case to bite that vendor extremely hard.

Since what the owner of IkTel is so vague. There can only be one conclusion as to why...

1. He used the B/W he is sitting on, as an ISP, to Ddos someone or some company.

2. He is using the B/W he is sitting on, as an ISP, to run a torrent site with his resources. Maybe even out of 151 front street!

3. With the B/W he is sitting on, as an ISP, he is running a pay-for access-FTP site and got nailed.

I can only see it being one of all of those. Otherwise there would be "no block" due to users. It would be a North American first.

So, I have come to the conclusions it is IkTel themselves, not the users who are being charged with this. But who knows...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Hm :

Since what the owner of IkTel is so vague. There can only be one conclusion as to why...

I'm sure Mark VE3JMR will come out and say something soon enough.

Hm
@videotron.ca

Hm

Anon

said by Gone:

said by Hm :

I'm sure Mark VE3JMR will come out and say something soon enough.

Well... It's on their webpage.

Someone should contact the owner. This would be some significant news in the Canadian broadband scene, and even the warez scene.

Would be a DSLr front page item for sure.

Entire Canadian ISP wholesaler shut down due to users warez habits

It would make torrent freak, slashdot, techdirt, bOINGbOING, everywhere... It would likely even make the Telecom summit.

Someone contact the guy and find out more info. Who shut off all Canadian users and a Canadian ISP. CIPPIC would likely get involved as would the CCLA!

Chop-Chop. Very Hot item here. Lets get to it and show the world what went down, who did it, and who was behind it.

Or... or was it a lie

I mean... something like this you don't lie about since he should know every major group in Canada would be looking at this... Something like this just doesn't quietly go away and never heard of again...

Info. We need more info!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Hm :

Info. We need more info!

Good luck with that.

Hm
@videotron.ca

Hm

Anon

Warez Blockade on Canadians
*shrug*
Maybe someone should inform Karl Bode anyhow?

This "non-Canadian blockade" of a Canadian ISP due to warez needs to be known by all!

Also, it appears (per the image above) Cogeco is apparently able to circumvent this foreign warez blockage on Canadians, but can't due to having no staff on the weekend to circumvent this foreign warez blockade.

No one works weekends at Cogeco. How about that...
sperelthegoo
join:2013-06-02

sperelthegoo

I let Torrent Freak and Tech Dirt know, torrent freak already tweeted me back for more info

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by sperelthegoo:

I let Torrent Freak and Tech Dirt know, torrent freak already tweeted me back for more info

Of course... »Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP

I mean... it's either a hunk of BS or not. And if it isn't BS, this is very big news that everyone will want to know and run with.

K. Bode should be getting on the horn with these people to break it first.

1) Let's assume this is true...

2) Let's assume it isn't just due to IkTel.

Removing the IkTel factor, which could be as stated here »Re: ikTel Networks - Niagara ISP, I can not see a blockade due to p2p.

BUT, there is a dropped hint in the guys MSG about moving back to Canadian IP blocks.

Does this mean he had American IP blocks and Canadians were accessing the likes of American Hulu to get decent streams that they can't get in Canada?

It does raise a question. More than one.

Did a Canadian ISP (and the incumbent Canadian ISP's here run/control all TV here, such as the likes Cogeco) have a hand in this "warez blockage" since it affects their TV revenue?

Is that why they have to jump back to "Canadian IP blocks"?

What's the story here? What's going on?

There is potential that this is indeed true.

Type of thing I would also send to Dr. Michael Geist. He would run with this for sure seeing as how Bell, Cogeco, Rogers, Videotron, Shaw et al. want to lock up TV tighter than a nuns knee's (though i have a met a few nuns that... but that's another story..).

I see a few scenario's assuming this is true, and assuming the "why" factor.

Potential story here with IkTel in the centre of it.

Up to IkTel to come forward. This type of news is free publicity for their services. Dumb to hide from it as they are doing. ...the hiding from it leads to people stating it's all BS and an excuse for shoddy service.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's BS. That much is so obvious that it's not even funny.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by Gone:

It's BS. That much is so obvious that it's not even funny.

Their reputation that will go down in flames due to this single factor being reported by them here and on their site.

*If* this is all BS, they will be in the category of Cable-Gator that all will see here.

Again, someone should be posting this to Geist.
sperelthegoo
join:2013-06-02

sperelthegoo to Gone

to Gone
Lol of course it is bit getting the chance to make Alan squirm makes spreading the story worth it
sperelthegoo

sperelthegoo to hm

to hm
At least it was a nice weekend!
sperelthegoo

sperelthegoo to hm

to hm
I'm legitimately curious how many customers they have left, it can't be many
loyd
Toronto, ON

loyd to hm

to hm
It was not because of Hulu, Hulu started blocking IKTEL American IPs few months back. I even had Hulu+ at that point registered with my US address. They apologized and refunded rest of the subscription (which makes me think, they did not refund in full, so they accepted already spent subscription and technically sold me the content against their licensed mandate

SRidge
@cogentco.com

SRidge

Anon

Finally ... renewed my ip this morning and back online
loyd
Toronto, ON

loyd

Still not working here.

Just placed DSL Standard order to Start.ca

I was a fan of IKTEL, but after 2yrs with them, sometimes with clenched teeth, they did not learn anything. Bills come whenever, two major disruptions in 4 months and this one is over 66hrs by now. If there was anything to be done that required upstream support, the time was Friday afternoon, not today. It seems like IKTEL is run as side project on evenings and weekends when owner has time.

Gus
@wind.ca

Gus to hm

Anon

to hm
ikTel has been using US IP addresses. So, the switch to Canadian IP addresses should solve the blockage problem.
loyd
Toronto, ON

loyd

I am back online. Exatly 3 days outage.

So what was all this about, anyone knows ? I don't believe the story about copyright infrigment related block anymore.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to Gus

Anon

to Gus
said by Gus :

ikTel has been using US IP addresses. So, the switch to Canadian IP addresses should solve the blockage problem.

Has anyone contacted him to get more details on this "warez blockade"? Who? What? When? Where? Why?
iamdrumming
join:2003-06-08
Niagara Falls, ON

iamdrumming

said by hm :

said by Gus :

Has anyone contacted him to get more details on this "warez blockade"? Who? What? When? Where? Why?

He'll probably never tell. He barely even told us there was a problem