All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

lobby87

@shawcable.net

Shaw calling me about bandwidth usage again.

They haven't done this to me in years. I'm on the Broadband 50 plan, apparently I've been using a lot of bandwidth. I've been averaging 600GB-1TB a month on their 500GB limit.

They've only left me a voicemail and they expect me to call back. What should I say?

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC
well the broadband 50 only has 400 gigs, they probably wont do much but if i were u i recommend upgrading to broadband 100 for 10 bucks more a month, as long as you get your full download speed now

fender

join:2007-07-23
Vancouver, BC
Upgrading to faster speeds for someone who consistently hits their limits monthly seems counter intuitive to me.

So they'll hit the limit in half the time?

whyshaw

@shawcable.net
reply to lobby87
Shaw can't enforce anything at this point in time, as there are no usage limits in effect (and probably won't be for some time). It's simply a money grab on their part to try and get you to change plans and spend more. Lots of people "upgraded" their plans a while back for absolutely no reason when usage limits were being threatened; just ignore the warnings.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Why can't they enforce anything?

The limits on the plans are clearly stated, they don't charge extra if you go over ever, but they can/do suspend your modem to reduce usage, and encourage plans that will suit your usage.

It may be 'wrong' of Shaw, but it is still wrong of you for going over your agreed upon limits *shrugs*
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
reply to lobby87
I used 542gb in April. Nothing happened.
Meh. Switching to Telus/Teksavvy 50mbps this summer.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
I'm looking at the 50 mbps DSL product too, hesitant for a couple reasons though, one of them is that Teksavvy won't offer it to me
--

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
Marc (the TSI CEO) says they should have it in place by the July timeframe, but who knows if that'll happen or not.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Around that time, they should be offerings from Shaw too, but this is getting off topic
--

DataHogg

@bigpipeinc.com
What exactly is the trigger for a call? 500G account and I hit 750 or is it 1TB? Seems ridiculous to be harassed by Shaw when they were supposed to have Bump Ups working a year ago.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Top 1% on a busy node is the trigger

I'm around 1.5 TB (using the Online Customer Care tool) for last month too
--

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
reply to lobby87
said by lobby87 :

They've only left me a voicemail and they expect me to call back. What should I say?

What is there to say? Just be polite and tell the truth.
My usage patterns basically mirror yours. My plan has a 500GB cap, I'm typically between 600-900, but for the most part closer to 700.

I've been a customer since before the Shaw/Rogers swap, and I've never had a call from them about bandwidth before. Now they've called me 3 months in a row, out of nowhere.
I had the same conversation each time. Yes I know how much I'm transferring, no I'm not really interested in you helping me reduce that, and no I'm not interested in moving to your outrageously priced "unlimited" plan.

On the 3rd call, they told me the next time I go over my limit they're going to suspend my service for three days.
At that point I booked a teksavvy install, and I'll be on one of their unlimited packages at the end of the month.

I realize I'm a heavier user and don't object to paying a premium, but their lack of reasonable options is a bit silly.
Since they've decided to force the issue and make the caps a hard limit, I'm canceling my TV and internet, going with one of the other choices available to me and pocketing some extra cash in the meantime. I like having TV, but I definitely don't need it... no huge loss there.

I just feel bad for people who live in areas with even fewer choices than me.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

1 edit
I wanted to upgrade to bb100 as well. I use between 450gb and 700gb a month so I was thinking of going to the 750gb bb100 plan. Usually closer to 450 or 500gb. There was one month I had a hard drive failure and redownloaded a bunch of stuff. Used a few tb's. They never called me on it. They my usage went back to normal.

The problem is that I'm on grandfathered shaw rates. Apparently it would break my old tv/internet bundle and the price increase would end up being more than $10 per level of upgrade.. ugh.

I was under the impression they were rarely enforcing as they had an automatic bump up program coming in. I guess that's sort of fallen off the wayside?

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada

The Bump-Up Program is coming soon in 2013

That's all anyone knows about it. Any speculation about when/if they actually start doing it is just that, speculation.

I would think they wouldn't put that out there unless they intended to implement it at some point, but who knows.
Whether they implement it or not it appears the new policy is 3 day suspensions, which I would consider worse.

lobby87

@shawcable.net
reply to rotohoto
I've been wanting to switch to Techsaavy, but they don't seem to be available in my area, which is strange because I can already get Shaw cable... I live near the Joyce Skytrain Station area. Is the website just under maintenance or something?

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
reply to lobby87
I suppose a question is what are you doing on your line? Are you mostly downloading? Or are you uploading as well?

Shaw doesn't care too much about downloads - it's why they can give you such fast download rates, but such pathetic upload rates.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to lobby87
Except Vancouver (for now) Teksavvy is serviced by Telus and Bell DSL in the Shaw territory.
--

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to lobby87
I use my line mostly for downloading, but I do some uploading.

If I used 500gb's a month. I'd say 450gb would be downloading, 50gb uploading.

I'm also wondering if the reason I haven't had a call is because the only phone number they have more was the Shaw Phone Line I had, which I cancelled a few months ago.. lol....

I would hate to come home and have my internet suspended. Other then that one large month when I had a HD failure I haven't really superexceeded the 425gb cap (400gb + 25 extra for shaw friends program).

I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I wanted to upgrade to a larger package, but I don't want to loose my grandfathered rate. If they would offer me the upgrade package for an extra $10/month (or $20 if I wanted to go to 750gb) I would jump on it.

Instead I keep waiting for the promised bump up programming, hoping that will bump up my multiple of $10 only.

Maybe I haven't been notified because I'm not on a congested node? When I left shaw around the year 2000, they seemed to focus more on areas with congested nodes. I've been on bb50 for nearly two years and have never had my speed slow down. Maybe I'm off the radar because it isn't an issue in my area?

tlhIngan

join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC
reply to lobby87
Well, 450GB down 50GB up isn't that bad a ratio - perhaps that's why you're "getting away with it".

First, Shaw goes after the congested nodes because congested nodes get the most complaints from customers. Then they see what's happening - they tend to go after the prolific uploaders first. Again, cable systems have a lot less upstream bandwidth than down, so a few people running seedboxes can easily take down a node.

So if your upload:download ratio is out of whack, Shaw will probably contact you first. Only after they've dealt with the prolific uploaders will they go on the general overusage population. Again, if all you're doing is watching Netflix for hours a day, you're less likely to be called (download speeds are huge).

Your internet won't be suddenly disconnected - they'll warn you plenty in advance and give you a phone call. If you don't acknowledge their calls or their email, then they may disconnect you for a few days.

At 450GB down and 50GB up, I'd say you'd probably be fine - it may be a bit high, but it's not super high. Also, if your node isn't congested, Shaw likely won't care. But if you were doing 100GB upload and say, 300GB down, you might get call even though you're within your 400GB.

After all, it's why Shaw offers 100/2 for non-upgraded nodes, and 100/5 for upgraded nodes. It's easy to argue that 5 up "isn't enough".

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium
join:2011-02-03
Reviews:
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to DataHogg
If i recall correctly the grandfathered plans would not see any bump ups, but those who switched to the newer plans would.

That being said shaw is harassing me again as well, i am just waiting for the day they disconnect me so i have enough reason to phone telus n try the 50/10 service.
--
WCG Can you BOINC it?!?

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by MerinX:

If i recall correctly the grandfathered plans would not see any bump ups, but those who switched to the newer plans would.

That being said shaw is harassing me again as well, i am just waiting for the day they disconnect me so i have enough reason to phone telus n try the 50/10 service.

Mostly true. Except its not a grandfathered plan, just a grandfathered rate. In the last two years Shaw has made a habit of charging higher rates to new customers than to existing ones.

I think the bump-up plans were intended for bb50 and bb100 plans only (not the old style plans). The problem is that if you've been on bb50 or bb100 long enough, you're paying less than the current rate.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
Depends if you are on the Broadband plans (BB) or the non-broadband, BB25 vs Extreme

High-Speed and Extreme were not to have bump-up, but BB25 will, but they could change that at anytime (or may already have)
--

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
reply to lobby87
Shaw just called me today that I'm using far too much on bb50, I used 900GB last month. They bumped me up to bb100+. Is the bump up program happening now? The website still says "coming soon in 2013".

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by tablo:

Shaw just called me today that I'm using far too much on bb50, I used 900GB last month. They bumped me up to bb100+. Is the bump up program happening now? The website still says "coming soon in 2013".

Sounds like you actually agreed to get moved onto the appropriate plan for your usage. Not what the bump up program was described as

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
Well it was my father that agreed to it as he was the one home. It'll cost $30 more every month now apparently. I don't understand why Shaw would call and try to "bump me up" then. Am I the top 1% in a saturated node like one said in this thread?

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by tablo:

Well it was my father that agreed to it as he was the one home. It'll cost $30 more every month now apparently. I don't understand why Shaw would call and try to "bump me up" then. Am I the top 1% in a saturated node like one said in this thread?

They Didn't bump you up. They put you in the proper tier for your usage

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to tablo
said by tablo:

You were using more than double the bandwidth they sell you on your account. They were calling you to put you on a package more inline with your usage.

I'll agree its a bit frustrating that the bump up program seems to be DoA, and they're now trying to permantly put people on larger packages. Especially when many of us have cheaper grandfathered rates.

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
It'd be really nice if they offered a package between the mid tier for BB100+ and unlimited because a $100 bump if you're only going over by 250GB is pretty steep, yet that's the situation I was in.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by spectrum:

It'd be really nice if they offered a package between the mid tier for BB100+ and unlimited because a $100 bump if you're only going over by 250GB is pretty steep, yet that's the situation I was in.

I don't disagree. I don't even need faster speeds. 50mbps seems fast enough to me, but I do struggled keeping it to 425gb or under. I'm usually closer to 500gb or 600gb total.

When I was on teksavvy about 5 years ago (before they offered unlimited out here), you could prepay for 100gb blocks for an extra $10/month. I found that handy. I'd rather add $20/month to my bill, than the $30ish it would cost me to upgrade to bb100 with 750gb.

eject

join:2013-01-23
Reviews:
·Shaw

4 edits
reply to lobby87
This is what I'd say.

- Your tracking system is inconsistent, updated statistics can take up to a week to show...or at least that's how long they can take for me to see.

- You're rounding your statistics, demonstrating a lack of necessary pin point accuracy and questionable accountability, potentially a person could be losing up to 15 gigs a month if Shaw were rounding up each days stats. So 500 megs a day, 30 days a month, 15 gigs lost. That's a large amount of misplaced bandwidth and unacceptable.

-Previous Shaw tracking systems displayed daily usage but many times individual days showed zero statistics and were skipped entirely, how does the consumer know if this is still occurring or if Shaw is just estimating statistics off trends or other information. Why isn't Shaw showing their consumers daily usage?

-The idea of current data bandwidth being high is contrary to the idea of needing more speed bandwidth, I am not interested in more speed, I need more data bandwidth.

-Why is a company like Distributel able to offer unlimited data bandwidth reselling your service while you're offering paltry amounts.

-Why does Shaw act unprofessional by cutting off internet during usage or harassing phone calls rather than coming to an agreement with their consumers by charging for more data bandwidth. (Probably because their tracking system is historically poor and can be logically ripped to shreds, which would bring the larger question of legality to light)

-This is a service failure and not a consumer failure, one may imagine offering increased data bandwidth packages rather than increased speed would be logical and lucrative.

Don't play dumb and do more research to see if you have options like Distributel available to you so it provides some level of a bargaining chip to threaten with, and if the representative starts talking over you or down to you ask for their name and for a supervisor. The time for playing nice or dumb is over.