uniqs
share rss forum feed

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to MerinX

Re: Shaw calling me about bandwidth usage again.

said by MerinX:

If i recall correctly the grandfathered plans would not see any bump ups, but those who switched to the newer plans would.

That being said shaw is harassing me again as well, i am just waiting for the day they disconnect me so i have enough reason to phone telus n try the 50/10 service.

Mostly true. Except its not a grandfathered plan, just a grandfathered rate. In the last two years Shaw has made a habit of charging higher rates to new customers than to existing ones.

I think the bump-up plans were intended for bb50 and bb100 plans only (not the old style plans). The problem is that if you've been on bb50 or bb100 long enough, you're paying less than the current rate.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
Depends if you are on the Broadband plans (BB) or the non-broadband, BB25 vs Extreme

High-Speed and Extreme were not to have bump-up, but BB25 will, but they could change that at anytime (or may already have)
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
reply to lobby87
Shaw just called me today that I'm using far too much on bb50, I used 900GB last month. They bumped me up to bb100+. Is the bump up program happening now? The website still says "coming soon in 2013".

Doonz

join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB
said by tablo:

Shaw just called me today that I'm using far too much on bb50, I used 900GB last month. They bumped me up to bb100+. Is the bump up program happening now? The website still says "coming soon in 2013".

Sounds like you actually agreed to get moved onto the appropriate plan for your usage. Not what the bump up program was described as

tablo

join:2011-06-30
Edmonton, AB
Well it was my father that agreed to it as he was the one home. It'll cost $30 more every month now apparently. I don't understand why Shaw would call and try to "bump me up" then. Am I the top 1% in a saturated node like one said in this thread?

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by tablo:

Well it was my father that agreed to it as he was the one home. It'll cost $30 more every month now apparently. I don't understand why Shaw would call and try to "bump me up" then. Am I the top 1% in a saturated node like one said in this thread?

They Didn't bump you up. They put you in the proper tier for your usage

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to tablo
said by tablo:

You were using more than double the bandwidth they sell you on your account. They were calling you to put you on a package more inline with your usage.

I'll agree its a bit frustrating that the bump up program seems to be DoA, and they're now trying to permantly put people on larger packages. Especially when many of us have cheaper grandfathered rates.

spectrum

join:2011-01-14
It'd be really nice if they offered a package between the mid tier for BB100+ and unlimited because a $100 bump if you're only going over by 250GB is pretty steep, yet that's the situation I was in.

zod5000

Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw
said by spectrum:

It'd be really nice if they offered a package between the mid tier for BB100+ and unlimited because a $100 bump if you're only going over by 250GB is pretty steep, yet that's the situation I was in.

I don't disagree. I don't even need faster speeds. 50mbps seems fast enough to me, but I do struggled keeping it to 425gb or under. I'm usually closer to 500gb or 600gb total.

When I was on teksavvy about 5 years ago (before they offered unlimited out here), you could prepay for 100gb blocks for an extra $10/month. I found that handy. I'd rather add $20/month to my bill, than the $30ish it would cost me to upgrade to bb100 with 750gb.

eject

join:2013-01-23
Reviews:
·Shaw

4 edits
reply to lobby87
This is what I'd say.

- Your tracking system is inconsistent, updated statistics can take up to a week to show...or at least that's how long they can take for me to see.

- You're rounding your statistics, demonstrating a lack of necessary pin point accuracy and questionable accountability, potentially a person could be losing up to 15 gigs a month if Shaw were rounding up each days stats. So 500 megs a day, 30 days a month, 15 gigs lost. That's a large amount of misplaced bandwidth and unacceptable.

-Previous Shaw tracking systems displayed daily usage but many times individual days showed zero statistics and were skipped entirely, how does the consumer know if this is still occurring or if Shaw is just estimating statistics off trends or other information. Why isn't Shaw showing their consumers daily usage?

-The idea of current data bandwidth being high is contrary to the idea of needing more speed bandwidth, I am not interested in more speed, I need more data bandwidth.

-Why is a company like Distributel able to offer unlimited data bandwidth reselling your service while you're offering paltry amounts.

-Why does Shaw act unprofessional by cutting off internet during usage or harassing phone calls rather than coming to an agreement with their consumers by charging for more data bandwidth. (Probably because their tracking system is historically poor and can be logically ripped to shreds, which would bring the larger question of legality to light)

-This is a service failure and not a consumer failure, one may imagine offering increased data bandwidth packages rather than increased speed would be logical and lucrative.

Don't play dumb and do more research to see if you have options like Distributel available to you so it provides some level of a bargaining chip to threaten with, and if the representative starts talking over you or down to you ask for their name and for a supervisor. The time for playing nice or dumb is over.

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by eject:

This is what I'd say.

- Your tracking system is inconsistent, updated statistics can take up to a week to show...or at least that's how long they can take for me to see.

- You're rounding your statistics, demonstrating a lack of necessary pin point accuracy and questionable accountability, potentially a person could be losing up to 15 gigs a month if Shaw were rounding up each days stats. So 500 megs a day, 30 days a month, 15 gigs lost. That's a large amount of misplaced bandwidth and unacceptable.

-Previous Shaw tracking systems displayed daily usage but many times individual days showed zero statistics and were skipped entirely, how does the consumer know if this is still occurring or if Shaw is just estimating statistics off trends or other information. Why isn't Shaw showing their consumers daily usage?

-The idea of current data bandwidth being high is contrary to the idea of needing more speed bandwidth, I am not interested in more speed, I need more data bandwidth.

-Why is a company like Distributel able to offer unlimited data bandwidth reselling your service while you're offering paltry amounts.

-Why does Shaw act unprofessional by cutting off internet during usage or harassing phone calls rather than coming to an agreement with their consumers by charging for more data bandwidth. (Probably because their tracking system is historically poor and can be logically ripped to shreds, which would bring the larger question of legality to light)

-This is a service failure and not a consumer failure, one may imagine offering increased data bandwidth packages rather than increased speed would be logical and lucrative.

Don't play dumb and do more research to see if you have options like Distributel available to you so it provides some level of a bargaining chip to threaten with, and if the representative starts talking over you or down to you ask for their name and for a supervisor. The time for playing nice or dumb is over.

Wow Wow Wow.. My tracker is within a couple a MB's. Of course im pushing Multible TBS a month but the point remains.

Anyhow. Shaw offers a plan that suits his/hers usage. Either pay for what you use or dont

spectrum

So you're saying it's fair for people on BB100 packages doing 900GB-1TB of traffic per month to be charged $195/month while people in upgraded areas can get BB250 for $115? That's getting charged for what you use plus another $80+, just because.

I don't say that's offering a package that "suits peoples needs".

eject

Reviews:
·Shaw

2 edits
reply to Doonz
What are you using to verify your tracking? Safe to say a board like this would be occupied by apologists/shills/employees so while I understand you are satisfied everything I said is balanced and from experience. I never said they were outright padding statistics, only that their tracking has a storied history of being poor. And no, Shaw doesn't offer a plan for all since if they did this wouldn't be a problem. While I'd prefer to have a plan catered to my individual needs I'm a realist and understand companies could care less about that and need to keep things uniform. I'm saying instead of acting like a petulant child just charge me for the extra and don't waste my time with entitled accented bandwidth enforcement zilches.

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by eject:

What are you using to verify your tracking? Safe to say a board like this would be occupied by apologists/shills/employees so while I understand you are satisfied everything I said is balanced and from experience. I never said they were outright padding statistics, only that their tracking has a storied history of being poor.

Pfsense Router.

As for the packages i thought the was a 1.5tb package. I dunno i blow through bw like candy so i went with the unmetered package as soon as it was offerd

eject

Reviews:
·Shaw
Fair enough, while I don't have the money for that package even if I did I wouldn't put out the equivalent monthly car payment for internet. I'd be happy with 25mbit and 500ish gigs a month. Maybe more data, have yet to encounter a scenario where more speed is necessary with only two users who are not overlapping their usage. So, while you're fortunate to have that you've also voted with your wallet to encourage more ass backwards business practices. Enjoy?

Doonz

Beaumont, AB
said by eject:

Fair enough, while I don't have the money for that package even if I did I wouldn't put out the equivalent monthly car payment for internet. I'd be happy with 25mbit and 500ish gigs a month. Maybe more data, have yet to encounter a scenario where more speed is necessary with only two users who are not overlapping their usage. So, while you're fortunate to have that you've also voted with your wallet to encourage more ass backwards business practices. Enjoy?

Im ok with paying $130 for 250/15 unmetered. to me thats reasonable

rotohoto

join:2012-03-31
canada
kudos:1
said by Doonz:

That is fairly reasonable. Too bad Shaw doesn't offer that.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw
@rotohoto that is normal/current pricing for 250 mbps. They may not offer it in your neighborhood yet, but that is a differnet issue.

Overall, if you find that fairly reasonable, good?
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

spectrum

said by kevinds:

@rotohoto that is normal/current pricing for 250 mbps. They may not offer it in your neighborhood yet, but that is a differnet issue.

Overall, if you find that fairly reasonable, good?

No, that was the original pricing for BB100 unlimited which got propagated to BB250 when it was introduced, and then the price was jacked up and I believe the users who had the package at the time were grandfathered while the rest of the public gets to pay the new price ($195/month.)

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
reply to Doonz
said by Doonz:

BB250 unmetered costs $195
BB250 with 1TB costs $115
»www.shaw.ca/internet/broadband-250/

so unmetered costs the same regardless of speed.
»www.shaw.ca/internet/broadband-100/

What (I think) spectrum was saying is that BB100 offers up to 750MB packages, and BB250 starts at 1TB, so if you were doing over 750, but less than 1TB, you could upgrade (if it was available in your area) to BB250 @115, but for those of us stuck in non BB250 areas, we'd have to upgrade to BB100 unlimited @195.

spectrum

said by stolen:

BB250 unmetered costs $195
BB250 with 1TB costs $115
»www.shaw.ca/internet/broadband-250/

so unmetered costs the same regardless of speed.
»www.shaw.ca/internet/broadband-100/

What (I think) spectrum was saying is that BB100 offers up to 750MB packages, and BB250 starts at 1TB, so if you were doing over 750, but less than 1TB, you could upgrade (if it was available in your area) to BB250 @115, but for those of us stuck in non BB250 areas, we'd have to upgrade to BB100 unlimited @195.

That's pretty much what I was getting at, life is great for Doonz, but the rest of us aren't so lucky.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
reply to spectrum
Oops, I missed the unmetered word. Sorry people

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
Premium
join:2011-02-03
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Shaw
Shaw cut me off for a week before the flood/during so i switched to telus, to bad my house got so much water in it i wont be able to get telus internet for awhile.
--
WCG Can you BOINC it?!?