spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cjensen13

join:2013-06-01

decomissioning satellite?? true?

For several weeks I have been having trouble connecting and staying connected to the internet. My modem is an HN7000S. Cables are fine, router is good,etc. Connection problem just continued to get worse until today when it died. No connection at all. Broke down and called HughesNet and the technical support person (after being on the phone for an hour and a half) said they were shutting down the satellite my modem uses (Gen2). "Free" upgrade to HN9000. I live in a rural area with no other alternative except satellite- so I agreed to the upgrade. What choice did I have??? So I ask, is the satellite really being decommissioned or is this just HN BS?! I have heard about Excede 12- its available in my area and the salesperson said all of their tech support people are based in the US. In theory, I take that to mean they speak English. I'm seriously considering jumping ship. I could use some input here. Thanks.

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
The only Sats that Hughes can decommission are the birds they own. Spaceway three for the 9000 systems and of course the new Gen$4 bird.

Every thing else is on leased transponders owned by others.
Those Sats are not going anywhere soon, but Hughes wants to switch to their own for higher profits.

I'm on a 7000, and when I can't get a transponder on 91w or a free repoint, I go to Exede.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa
kudos:5
reply to cjensen13
They have not stopped providing service on any of the 10 or so satellites used by the 7000s, and probably won't in the foreseeable future.

There are dozens of possible reasons why your connection, and only yours, might have died. Decommissioning of the satellite isn't one of them.
--
Author of hnFAP-Alert, PC-OPI and DSSatTool traveling in a 2004 Blue Bird M380

C0RR0SIVE88

@direcway.com
HN7000 series and satellites is being kept around, though low-priority, mostly because HN7000 is a mobile system, and a lot of businesses highly depend upon it for backup feed.

But, there was a satellite lately that is dieing that HN used that was decommissioned and replaced with another, don't think it affects state side residents though.

Just curious though, how do you know it died? No signal? Have you tried to get it re-aligned? A lot of things could be bad with an old unit that could make it seem dead.

cjensen13

reply to cjensen13
As I write this all the blue lights are on again. They don't stay on for very long though. The guy at HN - tech support -.told me after running a series of tests that altogether took over an hour because he put me on hold alot-.finally diagnosed my problem with "they are shuttng down your satellite '' . I've checked the indoor/outdoor cable connections and they seem OK. Can someone suggest in easy to follow steps what next I should try? I do t understand how to switch transponders, for example. How would I do that? Thanks for the help. I suspect HN tech supirt guy could not figure out my problem and wants me to upgrrade to the HN9000 ??

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
said by cjensen13:

As I write this all the blue lights are on again. They don't stay on for very long though. The guy at HN - tech support -.told me after running a series of tests that altogether took over an hour because he put me on hold alot-.finally diagnosed my problem with "they are shuttng down your satellite '' . I've checked the indoor/outdoor cable connections and they seem OK. Can someone suggest in easy to follow steps what next I should try? I do t understand how to switch transponders, for example. How would I do that? Thanks for the help. I suspect HN tech supirt guy could not figure out my problem and wants me to upgrrade to the HN9000 ??

I think i would highly recommend doing it all by yourself before you go and have a tech come and check it out and spend a bunch of money for no reason.. I use to have the 7K and soon before we upgraded our's was dieing a bit too but differently. The guy said he did a bunch of tests but did not find anything wrong once so ever, he said that he gave the satellite a good clean with a brush from dirt/dust and then left... problem never went away till after the upgrade.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password

Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to C0RR0SIVE88
"But, there was a satellite lately that is dieing that HN used that was decommissioned and replaced with another, don't think it affects state side residents though"

Several years ago Galaxy 11 @ 91 W. was replaced. It seems the outage lasted only an hour. The positioning was so good my signal strength went up 5 points.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
reply to cjensen13
What satellite and frequency are you on ?
What is your signal strength ?
I have had several outages myself. What was the weather at the time both at your location and the NOC ?

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to gwalk
said by gwalk:

"But, there was a satellite lately that is dieing that HN used that was decommissioned and replaced with another, don't think it affects state side residents though"

Several years ago Galaxy 11 @ 91 W. was replaced. It seems the outage lasted only an hour. The positioning was so good my signal strength went up 5 points.

The latest was SatMex8 replacing SatMex5. The switchover was completed more than a month ago, and there are no reports of even a minute's worth of downtime. There have been a few glitches since then, but nothing particularly abnormal.

CJensen13: When you checked the cable connections did you actually unscrew them and check them internally? The center copper wire can become corroded. Cable issues are probably number one.

Number two is moisture in the feedhorn, seen as condensation on the "Window."

After that, a dish that has become un-pointed is a common issue. When that happens and the signal gets down into the 40s you will get regular dropouts. Most transponders have no signal between 31 and the low 40s, meaning that when you drop to, say, 42 it goes to 30 and no signal.

What is your satellite/transponder and what is the signal?

You can't change transponders on your own. Period. Hughes can change them without telling you, but that's about it.
--

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
Hi Don,
The first sentence of my post between the quotes was a copy/paste from one of the OPs replies.
There have been several posts in the last few weeks on the Hughes forum simular to the OPs.
My guess is that Hughes is not renewing some of the transponders as the leases expire and try to "upgrade" people .
The quality of the info from India has always been less than reliable.

Cjensen13, my sig. strength is around 72 on a clear day, both here and at the NOC. When it drops to around 45 (as Don indicated) I have the same symptoms as you describe.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
said by gwalk:

My guess is that Hughes is not renewing some of the transponders as the leases expire and try to "upgrade" people .

The first part of that is not a guess. They have dropped at least a dozen transponders over the past two years. Among the transponders that they still have they have arranged leases for only partial transponders (symbol rates in the 10-15Msps range) on many others.

For the second part, though, that appears to only occur as an up-sell when people call in with problems. Problems that probably have nothing to do with transponder changes in most cases. For transponder changes, people are transparently changed to others on the same satellite.

On the mobile forums we see a lot of problems due to the changed transponders, for two reasons: One is that folks that travel intermittently and have other service at home may be offline when the transfer occurs (there is usually a window of a couple of weeks during which both old and new are available, then the old is gone). That requires running registration in order to get the new assignment, but the problem is non-obvious to most users.

The other problem is with automatic dishes, which have controllers that need to be set to the same parameters as the modem's assignment. Since people don't notice the change they don't change their controller's configuration, and fail to get online at their next stop.

Both cases are at a minimum weekly support issues in mobile forums, because transponder changes are happening pretty often.

We also get mobile customers who don't go through a VAR but have normal household accounts, who call Hughes support when these problems arise and they come back to us wanting to know how to make their new Gen4 (or in the past, 9000) system become mobile. They are often shocked to learn that they can't.
--

cjensen13

reply to cjensen13
Since yesterday everything seems to be fine- however the weather was clear.
My signal strength right now is 54. The day I called HN it was 31.. transponder is crrently 99 West (does that sound right?) The weather for the past several weeks has been awful. Constant rain or cloud cover. Thanks again.

gwalk
Premium
West Mich.
99 W would be the satellite, Galaxy 16
»www.lyngsat.com/Galaxy-16.html
The Hughes leased transponder frequencies are near the bottom of the page.

The frequency your assigned to is listed on the same system control page you found the sat.

Your signal strength is very low.....you will lose connection in the low to mid 40s so yours at 54 leaves very little room for rain fade and so forth.
Two things come to mind:
1. Line Of Sight: Do you have any obstructions such as tree limbs / leaves ?

2.You need to have a re-point of you dish.
Try a Push-Pull test:

The following posts may help:

»[DW7000] System light OFF regularly

»Web acceleration status = NOT operational - system degraded

Remember also system performance is affected by the weather conditions at your location AND the NOC in Germantown Maryland.

The bottom line here is that with that signal strength you don't have any headroom.

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to cjensen13
Yes, 99W is still a current satellite, and not in any trouble. Did you check the cable ends (inside) and the feedhorn cover for moisture?

I don't know if you are familiar with the push-pull test, but it is a standard method of determining whether your dish is still properly pointed. With someone watching the signal strength you stand behind the dish and grab each side, then pull with one hand and push with the other. Reverse, then do the same top to bottom. You are not trying to do it hard enough to move on the mount (should not be possible), but rather to just torque it against the fittings.

In each case a properly pointed dish will have the signal strength either stay the same, or go down. If it goes up the dish is not properly pointed.

A properly pointed dish with no other problems can usually handle all but the toughest weather - a strong electrical storm between you and the satellite will knock just about everybody out - while a poorly pointed dish or one with connector or feedhorn problems will drop out with every rainstorm.
--

dbirdman
Premium,MVM
usa
reply to cjensen13
gwalk and I were posting at the same time, and we both said "push-pull test." That should tell you something.
--