share rss forum feed

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to ashrc4

Re: Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

Not Facebook, mate - Disqus seems to be the de-facto chat or feedback widget on many Tech sites among others.

Easy to spot.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to ashrc4
said by ashrc4:

One would hope there is some probable cause clause or that will provoke...

In what context ?

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

Not Facebook, mate - Disqus seems to be the de-facto chat or feedback widget on many Tech sites among others.

Easy to spot.

When you choose to sign up they profile and rate you across all sites collecting many types of data.
Kind of suprised it's logo wasn't on the prism header
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Metadata and all types of PRISM | NSA data intercepts looks like they now will be debated as the cat has gotten too big for the proverbial bag. If you will.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

1 recommendation

said by siljaline:

Metadata and all types of PRISM | NSA data intercepts looks like they now will be debated as the cat has gotten too big for the proverbial bag. If you will.

Sadly, if past is prologue, the debate will end in a rash of agency/administration promises never to do it that way again, PRISM will disappear from the lexicon, and all the technology will quietly be renamed to some other acronym/code-term and life as the spooks know it will simply go right on as always...

I really want to believe things will turn out differently this time around, but I seriously question if any of the investigators-to-be's hearts will really be in it - especially for the long haul. And if they are, then will they have the political and bureaucratic horsepower to actually change anything in the black world?
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
I would have to agree that the current state of fingerpointing and political blather is getting totally tiring.

Twitter is flooded day-in & day-out.

Although I would like to think this will go away, it will likely keep on going - perhaps rebranded or watered down.

Dick Cheney appeared on CNN and call Snowden a traitor

Best guess at this point, the US will do their best to play the blame game at some "high school drop out" as Snowden is often called but, that begs the question - what was he doing working for an NSA pseudo covert op.

Look what became of Bradley Manning and Julian Assange.
They are virtual nobodies at this point.

We'll pile along and report what we see as new or wait for Congress to say "wait" this is enough.

ITICharlie1
Premium
join:2003-01-22
St. Louis MO
I logged into my Yahoo homepage today and opened the email and noticed it changed without asking. I also have just got hacked today also, so this account is closing. Other than Gmail and Outlook, are there any other free email web-based services?
--
Don't let my reality hinder your imagination!

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel

Re:  

> »mrd.mail.yahoo.com/switchclassic

Now looks to be dead.
It was good while it lasted. I used it. That sucks!

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to ITICharlie1

I've been using Fastmail.fm owned by Opera software for a good number of years. It seems to be a good alternate to the more well known cloud based email services.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3
reply to ITICharlie1
said by ITICharlie1:

I logged into my Yahoo homepage today and opened the email and noticed it changed without asking. I also have just got hacked today also, so this account is closing. Other than Gmail and Outlook, are there any other free email web-based services?

Gmx.com is one. I signed up to try it but don't really use it.

Lavabit.com as well.

I use gmail with IMAP with Thunderbird. Don't see any ads (and wouldn't with adblock anyway). As for google scanning the mail? I am aware that they do so, and would encrypt anything sensitive or send it another way.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Cartel
Further confirmation that Yahoo does and is complying with FISA requests:
»www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20···ests-nsa

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to siljaline
For those using anonymized login attemps via Tor or otherwise:

No, Facebook Is Not Deliberately Blocking Logins from TOR
Malicious activity from TOR caused Facebook to temporarily disable logins from the anonymized browser.
»betabeat.com/2013/06/no-facebook···rom-tor/

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
Of course, they are doing that not because their main profit comes from tracking users (using their IP, phone numbers, that FB solicits from them, etc). But they're doing that because FB wants to "protect people who use the service". Yeah, right... I heard that before

At the same time, I have no sympathy for FB users. They know what they should expect form FB.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
Facebook is what it is ... there are many security professionals, folks from MS, AV Vendors, et alia that have FB accounts.

It's no safer or less than say, Google + or some other incarnation of a social networking service as would be Twitter.

I've had it to the *hilt* with FB haters

That said, we read and wait as to the outcome of the misdirection of information that the NSA claims protect American Lives.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
said by siljaline:

Facebook is what it is ... there are many security professionals, folks from MS, AV Vendors, et alia that have FB accounts.

It's no safer or less than say, Google + or some other incarnation of a social networking service as would be Twitter.

Then de Nile isn't just a river in Egypt, as they say.

I know security professionals who won't touch any of the social apps you list. Point being, if you use FB you accept certain risks - but that doesn't make people who reject them haters.

balloonshark
Lets Go Mountaineers

join:2006-08-11
WV

2 recommendations

reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

And I've had it to the hilt with people using the word hater when someone has an opinion in an open forum. I come to forums to read peoples opinions good or bad. I've found that I learn more from those that criticize than I do from a "fanboy" of a product, service or company.

I've noticed a disturbing trend on forums since the increase in social networking and mobile device access. The trend is to call out anyone who doesn't conform or criticizes as negative, haters or whiners. Some people may be afraid to speak their minds on FB in fear that they may be un-friended but the day people stop giving their opinions on forums is the day I unplug from the web.
--
If we quit voting, will they all just go away?

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Hater is too strong a word. If you want to call the idiots that post every damn trivial happening a name find a good one and use it.
You can say you reject all social sites and their premises.

I saw a comment saying all those who don't post on FB are terrorists. We seem to have a damn good case of group think going on.

I would speak my mind anyway. I'd say I don't want any damn friends. I really don't. The people on this forum and their posts are a helluva lot more interesting. Same goes for other fora.

I also won't log into any forum but with the original password. Never thru Twitter, FB, G+.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I don't respect sheeple. I consider anyone using social networking to be a sheeple. It doesn't mean I hate them. I may love them because they may be my relatives and some friends. But I don't respect them.

Persons who frequent this forum should know better.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA
reply to siljaline
said by siljaline:

. . .

. . .

The truth is haters gonna hate.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

to dam bad

@verizon.net
reply to Cartel
well verizon is doing it and even worst they listen to your phone calls and scan for ad words .. as i have had it happen to me talking about an issue on my lan line and then coming to my computer only to find an ad about what i was talking about on the phone. it happen 4 time in a week and i made note of it and getting worst.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I don't respect sheeple. I consider anyone using social networking to be a sheeple. It doesn't mean I hate them. I may love them because they may be my relatives and some friends. But I don't respect them.

I don't respect anyone who doesn't understand the social nature of Hominidae in general, or of the genus homo in particular. If it weren't for "sheeple", it would not be possible for members of the genus homo to live on a volcanic archipelago in the center of the vast Pacific Ocean.

I spent 26 continuous years in the U.S. Army (mostly CAANG), purchased a U.S. government surplus battle rifle, and a number of civilian firearms. I have owned several motor vehicles, and two real properties. Even if I never had a Facebook account, I know a number of people who have them, who have posted about me.

The only way I know to avoid the grid is to pack a few generic possessions in a garbage bag, or five, and load them in a purloined shopping cart, and live in a cardboard box under an overpass. I won't/can't live like that.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I wouldn't exactly fault some grandparents for using FB. Expecially if the accounts were set up with the most security and they didn't click on every damn thing.

It's a lousy situation, but a lot of people find posting family stuff on FB rather than shoving pics in Dropbox or using emal. You want to keep current with the kids?

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to Mele20

quote:
Quite nicely said.... I feel the same way!!

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Dude111:

quote:
Quite nicely snottily said.... I feel the same way!!

FIFY!
--
Norman

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

You think using forums such as this one isn't just a different form of the same "social networking"?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
said by GlennAllen:

You think using forums such as this one isn't just a different form of the same "social networking"?

At least when you post HERE (for example), you KNOW that it's a public place.

With FaceBORK, you can never be sure (just like the man with 2 watches is about the time of day).

FB keeps rearranging their security menu structures and changing the defaults - ya gotta be a F-N IT pro to stay on top of it, it seems.

Sorry, they all can keep FB - not interested - not even though my family members embrace it - not gonna happen.

The most I'll do is tweet, and Twitter is up-front about tweets being completely public too.

= = = = =

BTW, I PITY sheeple.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by Davesnothere:

said by GlennAllen:

At least when you post HERE (for example), you KNOW that it's a public place.

With FaceBORK, you can never be sure (just like the man with 2 watches is about the time of day).

Why doubt? It is so obviously not private, despite whatever the settings proclaim.

FB keeps rearranging their security menu structures and changing the defaults - ya gotta be a F-N IT pro to stay on top of it, it seems.

Just dligent, as with every other facet of the Internet.

Sorry, they all can keep FB - not interested - not even though my family members embrace it - not gonna happen.

Your family members likely have sucked you in, member, or not; like it, or not.
The most I'll do is tweet, and Twitter is up-front about tweets being completely public too.

= = = = =

BTW, I PITY sheeple.

I pity people who look down on others from their High Horses.
--
Norman

scelli
Native New Yorker
Premium
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

That's a bunch of pompous nonsense though I'm not surprised in the slightest. Personally, I have absolutely no use whatsoever for social networking in any form.

However: As a veteran, could also be very elitist by making the generalized (and probably unfair) statement saying I don't respect various able-bodied individuals around here utilizing pithy sayings defending freedom as their signature simply because those participants might never have spent a day defending said freedom in the armed forces

Speaking of your signature: It is fairly well known that there is no empirical proof Thomas Jefferson ever said the quote you've attributed to him. Do the research. If anyone here can prove differently, I'll render my apologies for being incorrect. That's something a few on this forum have failed miserably to do in the past despite being presented overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
--
The maximum effective range of an excuse is ZERO meters!

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

....Why doubt? It [FaceBook] is so obviously not private, despite whatever the settings proclaim....

It is the false and/or misleading proclamations of decent security from places like FB with which I have issue, not with the unfortunate folks who believe them.

Fancy complicated menues do not necessarily good security make.

Most of us who post here understand the due diligence part, but most of the sheeple are oblivious to the security and other tech issues which are being raised here.

And that's not a put-down, it's just statistical fact.

I would like to help them, but Elvis has left the building on THAT one.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Security != privacy.