Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO

Re: Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

said by OZO:

said by EGeezer:

What others choose to do in their personal and private lives doesn't affect my way of life in the least.

Actually they do. Here is an example - the clickers (those, who click indiscriminately on all ad links they happen to see) stimulate further investments in advertisement (spam) industry. As a result, you and me are getting more random, unsolicited spam in our mailboxes (even if we don't click or reply on spam mails)....

Yes, I agree that those actions indirectly drive how the marketplace as a whole functions.
said by OZO:

If a business chooses to use Facebook to communicate with customers, my way of life is still quite safe.

But what if that business chooses to use Facebook as a prerequisite to hire people....

....or as a filter to justify NOT hiring them, and especially as most job positions have increasingly become 'an employer's market' during these last few years.
said by OZO:

....Bottom line - we all should think about what the consequences of our actions will be in the future.

The future that will be determined not by you and me (or any other individuals), but [by] the population as a whole.

Sounds a lot like something which I stated a few posts upthread.

Agreed, wholeheartedly !

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to Davesnothere

MVM

to Davesnothere
Among the oldest "social networking" devices are buses, planes, ships, and trains. Do you know how many "sheeple" reveal personal information to total strangers?

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by NormanS:

Among the oldest "social networking" devices are buses, planes, ships, and trains. Do you know how many "sheeple" reveal personal information to total strangers?

Yes, it IS scary !

And your statement (upthread) of paradoxicality [real word ?] about your longtime occupation vis-a-vis security - that is also food for thought.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
join:1999-08-07
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

Egos aside, I agree with the point which I bolded.

I've previously stated and will state once again: I personally have absolutely no use whatsoever for the applications commonly considered to be under the banner of "social media" such as Facebook, Twitter and the like.

However: Since you also appear to be in agreement with the original poster's ridiculously dramatic and quite inappropriate comments accusing Facebook users of desecrating the memories of those who died in uniform, then perhaps you'd like to say that directly to those presently on active duty for this country who for better or worse have utilized Facebook. Start at the recruit depots as I'm sure they'd just eat up a one hour block of instruction covering that important subject in between minor things like physical training, snapping in weapons and field training exercises.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

4 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

said by Mele20:

....Using the word or the phrase "computer ignorant" has nothing to do with ego.

In regards to Facebook, it has to do with folks willingly, and even eagerly, giving up what brave men and women have died for ....liberty and freedom which REQUIRE privacy - which Facebookers don't have.

So, if you want to say I need to have my ego checked, I think you need to decide if dying for this nation matters anymore. If it does matter you will run fast away from Facebook and any entity trying to take your freedom, your liberty, and your privacy from you.

said by scelli:

said by Davesnothere:

I've previously stated and will state once again: I personally have absolutely no use whatsoever for the applications commonly considered to be under the banner of "social media" such as Facebook, Twitter and the like.

However: Since you also appear to be in agreement with the original poster's ridiculously dramatic and quite inappropriate comments accusing Facebook users of desecrating the memories of those who died in uniform, then perhaps you'd like to say that directly to those presently on active duty for this country who for better or worse have utilized Facebook.

Start at the recruit depots as I'm sure they'd just eat up a one hour block of instruction covering that important subject in between minor things like physical training, snapping in weapons and field training exercises.

I'm not by any means criticizing certain folks' reasons for CHOOSING to participate in social media networks, as those who do it with a specific purpose in mind at least HAVE a reason, and therefore they are NOT part of the majority of so-called 'sheeple' to which I (at least) have referred in earlier posts, who make up the bulk of FB etc users.

The common ground in my agreeing with the statement which I quoted and bolded just above was that there ARE folks such as our armed forces, who defend our countries' citizens' rights for "liberty, freedom, and privacy", and yet so very many FaceBook (etc) users use it blindly, and have no idea that they are sacrificing some of those same treasured rights.

I was not necessarily agreeing with other statements made by that poster.

Social media is still a new thing, for the military as well as for everyone else, and we ALL need to seek more info, to learn about its risks as well as its perceived benefits.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by Davesnothere:

I'm not by any means criticizing certain folks' reasons for CHOOSING to participate in social media networks, as those who do it with a specific purpose in mind at least HAVE a reason, and therefore they are NOT part of the majority of so-called 'sheeple' to which I (at least) have referred in earlier posts.

The common ground in my agreeing with the statement which I quoted and bolded just above was that there ARE folks such as our armed forces, who defend out countries' citizens' rights for "liberty, freedom, and privacy", and yet so very many FaceBook (etc) users use it blindly, and have no idea that they are sacrificing some of those same treasured rights.

I was not necessarily agreeing with other statements made by that poster.

Social media is still a new thing, for the military as well as for everyone else, and we ALL need to seek more info and learn about its risks as well as its perceived benefits.

I appreciate the response and (believe it or not) we appear to be in agreement, although possibly saying it in a different manner.

Since you're fairly new here, you may be interested in this DSLR thread from 4 years ago along a similar line:

»Marine Corps banning Facebook, Twitter and MySpace

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

1 recommendation

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by scelli:

I appreciate the response and (believe it or not) we appear to be in agreement, although possibly saying it in a different manner.

Since you're fairly new here, you may be interested in this DSLR thread from 4 years ago along a similar line:

I was worried for a moment that you thought otherwise.

Thanks - Will check out that thread.

And to bring the whole thing full circle (and to get back ON Topic), it is the identical fear of losing some of those same rights, which drives myself and many of the others posting here to feel worried, that what Yahoo is now about to do to us should be regarded as 'The Thin End of the Wedge', and will sooner or later strip us of what many FaceBook users have already, and for the most part unknowingly, given up.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
said by scelli:

Maybe this explains why many of the marine folk I bump into are of the "You posted WHAT to Facebook?" off base. They need someone to teach them safe practices. The official abstinence program fails to be practical after hours.
Thaler

1 recommendation

Thaler to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

The common ground in my agreeing with the statement which I quoted and bolded just above was that there ARE folks such as our armed forces, who defend our countries' citizens' rights for "liberty, freedom, and privacy", and yet so very many FaceBook (etc) users use it blindly, and have no idea that they are sacrificing some of those same treasured rights.

I think this falls under the "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" philosophy. I thank people in the armed services for their sacrifices that paved the way for freedom of choice today. However, I don't feel that making a mistake in one's choices is necessarily disrespectful - it's just part of the liberty package.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned) to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

Maybe this explains why many of the marine folk I bump into are of the "You posted WHAT to Facebook?" off base. They need someone to teach them safe practices. The official abstinence program fails to be practical after hours.

Not quite sure what you mean regarding "the Marine folk" posting. The ban is in actuality only when using DOD computers as this quote from the article states: "The order doesn't affect Marines' private use of such networks on personal computers outside of their jobs."

If you're saying that Marines as well as other servicemembers need to be schooled in those safe practices for both on and off duty, then I wholeheartedly concur. We are definitely living in a computer age and possessing computer skills is an absolute necessity not only in civilian life but in the armed forces as well.
scelli

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

I think this falls under the "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" philosophy. I thank people in the armed services for their sacrifices that paved the way for freedom of choice today. However, I don't feel that making a mistake in one's choices is necessarily disrespectful - it's just part of the liberty package.

Thanks. That's actually very well stated.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to carpetshark3

to carpetshark3
said by carpetshark3:

No personal information in groups. Mostly how-to type messages.
Astronomy, breadmaking, photography and sewing machines. I never discuss my "dh" (dear husband) and family in the groups. (A lot do)
Don't get group digests in email.

No personal or business messages. If an old personal message turns up, I reply through another email service and delete the message. Yahoo has no way of knowing whether or not I replied.

I do not think i have ever used my real name or personal information online ever all companies ive dealt with who need my real name get it by phone call.

on a funny side note i have used nova or novaflare for so long (nova as first name flare as last) I have gotten credit card offers in the mail a time or 3. Been tempted to sign up just to see if i could get one lol

To this day i still do not show up on google searches under my real name go figure.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by Nanaki:

To this day i still do not show up on google searches under my real name go figure.

Congratulations, that's no easy task.
It takes a conscience effort to maintain that.
re the importance of maintaining ones privacy on the net or the unintended consequences of not...
7 years ago I applied for a job that had certain degree & cert requirements, neither of which I had but I landed the job despite that.
I was told later that I was a tossup & the decision was boiled down to the web search they conducted using my real name.
The lack of my data on the web showed a street smarts that degrees & certs don't necessarily bring to the table.
Since I'm still with that outfit, there must be some legitimacy to using web exposure as a litmus test.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Thaler to scelli

Premium Member

to scelli
said by scelli:

Not quite sure what you mean regarding "the Marine folk" posting.

I visit friends and associates down near Camp Pendleton - typically young and/or beginning recruits. Regardless of age though, they are almost all "green" when it comes to social networks. Many of them pretty much put up everything they do up on their personal pages.
said by scelli:

If you're saying that Marines as well as other servicemembers need to be schooled in those safe practices for both on and off duty, then I wholeheartedly concur. We are definitely living in a computer age and possessing computer skills is an absolute necessity not only in civilian life but in the armed forces as well.

Pretty much this. Staying off the grid entirely is both difficult and impractical - I wouldn't expect anyone to cease socializing with friends & family over popular mediums. Teaching awareness of one's social network presence is a much more feasible safety option for the average computer user today.
Thaler

Thaler to Snowy

Premium Member

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

Since I'm still with that outfit, there must be some legitimacy to using web exposure as a litmus test.

Kinda thankful for the name my parents gave me. Googling my name unleashes a torrent of hits, even if you factor in age range and geography. I got to the 30th or so page of Google returns and gave up on trying to find a genuine match.

...of course, I kinda hated growing up in classes where there were, like, four of us in a single classroom.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

I visit friends and associates down near Camp Pendleton - typically young and/or beginning recruits. Regardless of age though, they are almost all "green" when it comes to social networks. Many of them pretty much put up everything they do up on their personal pages.

There's lot of green Marines and other service members as well around that humongous MCB Camp Pendleton area (which also encompasses MCRD San Diego) and they're quite prone to consider themselves old salts both in military matters as well as life itself, a fallacy which always catches up with them sooner or later. I can vouch from experience to that one, having had my supposedly invincible self end up all too many times on the MP blotter report for various mischief during much younger 1st Marine Division days decades ago!
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to Snowy

to Snowy
said by Snowy:

said by Nanaki:

Congratulations, that's no easy task.
It takes a conscience effort to maintain that.
re the importance of maintaining ones privacy on the net or the unintended consequences of not...
7 years ago I applied for a job that had certain degree & cert requirements, neither of which I had but I landed the job despite that.
I was told later that I was a tossup & the decision was boiled down to the web search they conducted using my real name.
The lack of my data on the web showed a street smarts that degrees & certs don't necessarily bring to the table.

degrees and certs really do not equal skill. Sadly taking courses on computer tech tend to have a adverse effect on the potential skill level of a person. Most will tend to get locked in to a way of thinking that is by the book. If the answer is not in the book then they are left clueless. A squad comes to mind they know little to nothing about what they are doing for the most part and will leave your computer less usable than before they started. They learn every thing from books with no real world experience. Degrees and certs are fine once you have experience in the field. I my self have none and do not care to get them. I figure it this way. If you want some one who knows what they are doing i have just over 19 years experience in the computer field building repairing and spyware and virus clean up then hire me. If you want some one who can flash you a fancy cert and has zero years experience well that's on you. Ill find my self a nice locally owned comp shop and we will fix all your certified techs mistakes when your ex customer comes to our door.

As for not showing up on google. Well i didn't really work hard at it. I built a reputation under this nick and others sim to it. Been using it exclusively for 19 years. It wasn't a worry about privacy concerns really. I had a account under the nick on a html help site way back in 94/95. Helped a few people began building up a reputation under the name and just kept using it. Got in to forums like this one built some reputation kept using it and on and on from html to vrml to 3d max and truespace 3d forums to here etc. So why change? Id need to rebuild my reputation under my real name. Search novaflare and a large percentage of the hits are me. a few years ago i did one and had about 8900+ unique results that were me and about 500 to 600 that were not.
Nanaki

Nanaki (banned) to Thaler

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

said by Snowy:

Kinda thankful for the name my parents gave me. Googling my name unleashes a torrent of hits, even if you factor in age range and geography. I got to the 30th or so page of Google returns and gave up on trying to find a genuine match.

...of course, I kinda hated growing up in classes where there were, like, four of us in a single classroom.

Would never work for me. Why my name is fairly common as a first name the spelling is not. As far as i know my names spelling is one of a kind. I've searched a few times and find nothing with the exact spelling. As for my last name there are 2 spellings and mine is the rarer of the 2 by a large margin.

Now with all that said there are a large number of people who do know my real first and last name on line. Including if i recall 2 or 3 here at dslreports. These people who know my real name only know it because of phone calls and chats. Or they know me in real life as well.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 recommendation

NormanS to scelli

MVM

to scelli
said by scelli:

I can vouch from experience to that one, having had my supposedly invincible self end up all too many times on the MP blotter report for various mischief during much younger 1st Marine Division days decades ago!

Had I accepted an offer, could have been my blotter entry.

Alas, I chose the CA-ANG, and and an MOS change to Signal Corps ... from U.S. Army MP Corps.
scelli (banned)
Four More Years!
FLOT/FEBA

scelli (banned)

said by NormanS:

said by scelli:

I can vouch from experience to that one, having had my supposedly invincible self end up all too many times on the MP blotter report for various mischief during much younger 1st Marine Division days decades ago!

Had I accepted an offer, could have been my blotter entry.

Alas, I chose the CA-ANG, and and an MOS change to Signal Corps ... from U.S. Army MP Corps.

Sometimes when pulling staff duty NCO at battalion level, we occasionally had to spring clowns from various units of the command being held in "D" cell at the base MP station. That happened especially after a "96" (four day weekend) or after the eagle had crapped on payday, putting money in the pockets of all those teenage life-takers and heart breakers.

Had 6 different MOS designations by the time I separated active duty as an E-6. One of those was company RTO in my younger days, an MOS I'm sure you're quite familiar with having been in the Signal Corps.

Davesnothere
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
Well folks, today it looks like :

More on that HERE :

»Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)