uniqs
share rss forum feed

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
reply to Cartel

Re: Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

On the other hand, this could be very helpful.
Yes Sir, everything in the inbox has been read!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to HA Nut

said by HA Nut:

I for one, am very concerned with my personal privacy. But I fail to understand why targeted ads (based on generic non-personal computer scanning) on free email services are an unusual/special invasion of privacy. Since ALL normal email is plain text or unencrypted html, anyone that has potential access can read it, copy it, you name it.

Let me try to give you an example, that could help to understand the problem better. It's like every time you meet another person and talk to him/her there is always a Bob, listening what you say to other party and what other party say to you and writing down notes for himself to keep that forever... And when he does it, he explains - I do it just because you're talking plain English. Do you mind that? I do (talking about personal opinions).

said by HA Nut:

I use Gmail, Outook.com and Yahoo web mail services. I have no issue with targeted ads.

Unfortunately, it's not only about targeted ads. Gathering all your conversations and keeping them forever (for whatever purposes) in databases goes far beyond that And that's why I have issue with that.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to Davesnothere

Re:  

I haven't been switched, yet.
But did have a look at another's account that has.

I am a 100% "Classic" person.
If that trash is what I get switched too, then, sayonara baby!!!

And that would suck too.
Because Yahoo is good. Service is good. SPAM filter is good. Mail is usable, in a manner that I use.

Fear that I'll be returning saying how they've ruined it!

That mobile link did not help.

Disabling JavaScript only took me here, http://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?reason=no_js_enabled.
Now that page does have a "Continue without upgrading javascript", but link to click on then did not work, http://us-mg5.mail.yahoo.com/neo/b/launch?rs=1&ncrumb=gQhlo5tHsDJ. (The "crumb" would negate the particular link for any others.)

(You know, this reminds me of Win8 & the lack of the "Start Button". Look where it got MS, Blue, I'd say. And why? Only because they removed choice from the user. Make me Free To Choose! Just say no!)

GlennAllen
Sunny with highs in the 80s
Premium
join:2002-11-17
Richmond, VA

Try IMAP with the email client of your choice--works fine for the free accounts, too.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to therube

said by therube:

....I am a 100% "Classic" person.

If that trash is what I get switched to, then, sayonara baby!!!

And that would suck too, because Yahoo is good. Service is good. SPAM filter is good. Mail is usable, in a manner that I use.

Fear that I'll be returning saying how they've ruined it!....

....You know, this reminds me of Win8 & the lack of the "Start Button". Look where it got MS, Blue, I'd say.

And why? Only because they removed choice from the user. Make me Free To Choose! Just say no !

My sentiments exactly !

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Why is everyone upset? Google mail has been doing exactly the same thing since day one and there was no roar of protest. Several years later when another email provider decides to do the same thing there is a storm of protest? That doesn't make sense.

Who's using Google mail...Google is pure evil tracking EVERYTHING you do.
Everything that is touched by Google is off limits to me and it should be to everyone but there is a LOT of people that don't care.

You get what you deserve.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04 . . . Optimum Voice Subscriber Since 06/30/11

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

?? Did you not read the entire thread? I said that comment was sarcastic. You are preaching to the choir.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to georgermct

said by georgermct:

....Google is pure evil tracking EVERYTHING you do.

Everything that is touched by Google is off limits to me and it should be to everyone but there is a LOT of people that don't care....

And that is why some of us here have been discussing and looking at - yes, hard to believe - but, Microsoft's webmail offering, now rebranded to the name 'Outlook'.

Naturally, with the impending change of Yahoo's GUI alone ("Change is not necessarily Progress !"), I and others have been shopping around for other webmail providers recently, and now this added whammy of me agreeing to a new ToS which lets Yahoo look at my mail ?

Not gonna happen !

Now I have TWO reasons to go elsewhere, and Google also has a 2nd reason which will keep me away :

They bitch at my choice of web browser (using a screen-hogging nag which I can dismiss on every page, but I cannot defeat), and I have good reasons for this choice and am not switching just to satisfy THEM.

I only had the Google GMail account as a side-effect of playing with their cloud-based apps last year, and they didn't even tell me that I had it at the time.

So, it might be that at least THIS TIME, Microsloth is the lesser evil ?

[Dave cannot believe that he just posted that last thought ! ]

HA Nut
Premium
join:2004-05-13
USA
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Why do you care about authentication?

Guilty as charged! This comment had nothing to do with the subject under discussion in this thread. (2 FA is just the biggest beef I currently have with Yahoo.)

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to Cartel

Looks like Yahoo has been reading them with Big Brother since 2008.

»/r0/download/2···de-5.jpg

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Re:  

said by Davesnothere:

....Now I have TWO reasons to go elsewhere....

Actually, there is a TURD reason to consider closing your Yahoo accounts, and just I started another thread about it :

»Yahoo's 'Create Extra Email Address' link seems Broken

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Davesnothere

quote:
EDIT : Is THIS the one ?
Yes buddy thats the Mobile interface and someone above has posted the direct link to the classic interface. (Which i wouldnt have posted (I WAS GONNA PM YOU) we dont know if yahoo is reading this and might now kill the direct link)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

said by Dude111:

Yes buddy thats the Mobile interface and someone above has posted the direct link to the classic interface. (Which i wouldnt have posted (I WAS GONNA PM YOU) we dont know if yahoo is reading this and might now kill the direct link)

Thanks.

In the meantime I tried that link.

Did not help, but as I posted somewhere in one of these threads, I got it set back to classic by using a Win2K PC with IE6.

= = = = = = = =

BTW, do ya think that Yahoo is reading this ?

They sure don't seem to be reading nor acting upon our direct complaints about the failure of the 'Create Extra Email Address' feature/function !

Well, their BOTS are giving typically useless scripted replies, but seems no live persons.

I've vainly tried to get direct help from Yahoo on this server authentication failure (or money grab - you choose) since May 22nd - some folks have waited longer - still no fix.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Well my accounts (Both of them) are locked out UNLESS I ACCEPT THIER BS!!!!! (If i didnt have a way to the classic/mobile interfaces i would be out of luck)

I DONT KNOW WHY THEY ARE PULLING THIS SHIT,THEY CAN READ/MONITOR EVERYTHING ON THIER NETWORK!!!!!!! -- Why try to fool people into thinking they can only do it IF THEY UPGRADE??

Losers they are!!!!!!! (Yahoo)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

said by Dude111:

....I DONT KNOW WHY THEY ARE PULLING THIS SHIT,THEY CAN READ/MONITOR EVERYTHING ON THIER NETWORK!!!!!!! -- Why try to fool people into thinking they can only do it IF THEY UPGRADE??

Losers they are!!!!!!! (Yahoo)

I agree that Yahoo is corporately shooting themselves in the foot on several issues recently, and unfortunately, hindsight will become their best friend in time, as they sure don't seem to understand it now !

From a technological perspective, they can do 'whatever they want' with their network (goodness knows, we in Canada have had more than our fair share of that sort of arbitrary BS during the past few years, from incumbent carrier Bell Canada (for example), who began without announcement to throttle certain types of network traffic to insanely low speeds during about 10 hours of the day - first only for their own retail customers, and soon after also for customers of their independent ISP partners - and denying at first that they were doing so (making the independent ISPs and we, their customers wonder what was going wrong with our services), but eventually admitting it and still continuing to do so).

As for the new ToS, I think that Yahoo is tying it together with their GUI 'Side-Grade' in order to satisfy what their legal department wants, not what any of US may think.

Yes, the two things COULD each stand alone, but could you imagine the flack that Yahoo would get if they made no other changes, and held everyone's accounts ransom just for a new ToS ???!!!

I would like to be a fly on the wall of their boardroom if they were to try THAT !

T Bell
You Can Fly
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Terra Firma
reply to Cartel

Click for full size
I've managed to avoid every update they've thrown at us and will continue the good fight to keep my account "as is."

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Good for you.. That makes 2 of us bud!!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Why do you care about authentication? You just said it was a postcard anyone can read.

Keep the spammers from using my account to send spam.

Further, how come you (and all Gmail users) have such utter disdain for those who may feel that they have to email you knowing that you don't give a shit about their privacy? What if they don't want Google reading their mail and storing it forever? Google doesn't just read your and your hapless correspondent's mail...they store it forever to use to build a profile on you and the poor soul that had no choice but to use Gmail because they really needed to contact you and had no other email address for you (besides you could be one of those merciless Gmail users who directs even their ISP's email through Google).

Anybody who cares that much about their privacy probably already does as you: Not using email for correspondence.

So, I'm not seeing your statement that you are very concerned about your personal privacy.

All you are seeing is that someone does not share your degree of concern about their privacy. You are harshly judgmental of people who are even moderately less concerned than you.

It's okay if you want to go off on me for that, but I will have you know I keep declining Walgreen's offer for a "loyalty" card, and declined to enter two soda contests because they want information I am not willing to give up.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Dude111

Re:  

Do you think that by keeping the "Classic" interface you are defeating their tracking? Or are you moving to close your Yahoo! accounts yesterday, if not sooner?
--
Norman

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Well according to thier new TOS they only track your every move ON THE NEW INTERFACE!!!!!!! (Although we know they can do it now on classic)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits

said by Dude111:

Well according to thier new TOS they only track your every move ON THE NEW INTERFACE!!!!!!! (Although we know they can [also] do it now on classic)

As I suggested in my last post, yes, they CAN do whatever they please on EITHER interface, from a technical perspective, but they seem to want to formalize things by making it part of their new ToS.

And by [allegedly, as threatened] cutting us off their classic interface, they aim to do just that.

= = = = = = = =

BTW, for the last few days, I should share with y'all that I have been 'playing' with the new Outlook [WebMail] interface and a new account there, and one early comment which needs to be made is that it seems to be a HORRIBLE HOG of CPU resources !

And the oddest part of THAT, is that nothing animated seems to happening on the screen (this is while logged in and sitting idle at the inbox).

Any % which is not being used by any other process gets soaked up by Outlook's tab in my IE8 browser, to a total of 100%.

--

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to NormanS

> by keeping the "Classic" interface

I am far more productive, efficient.

> Outlook

I thought was horrid too.
I noticed a lot (of nonsense) going on, "behind the scenes" with outlook.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

Which "outlook"? Microsoft, as is their wont, has created a confusing naming scheme. From Internet Explorer 4, when the changed the name of their email client originally called, "Microsoft Mail and News", to Internet Explorer 6, when they dropped it as a bundled application, they offered, "MS Outlook Express". When Microsoft introduced their "Office" suite, they Offered, "MS Outlook". More recently they rebranded their Web Mail service: Originally offered as, "MSN Hotmail", later as "Windows Live Hotmail", but now simply as, "Outlook.com". So you need to specify; the desktop application, or the web service?
--
Norman

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by NormanS:

....So you need to specify; the desktop application, or the web service?

I think they meant their new WebMail service. - I know I did, and have amended my earlier post to be more clear.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to therube

said by therube:

> by keeping the [Yahoo] "Classic" interface

I am far more productive, efficient.

> Outlook

I thought was horrid too.
I noticed a lot (of nonsense) going on, "behind the scenes" with outlook.

IMNSHO, BOTH services' new WebMail interfaces are simply slathered in BACON ! (excess Memory and/or CPU usage)

(and in REAL life, ah LOVES BACON !)

--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

I think they meant their new WebMail service. - I know I did, and have amended my earlier post to be more clear.

I am just seeing a tempest in a teapot. I did get the change demand on one of my 'pacbell.net' accounts. I accepted the change, else I would not have been able to create the disposable email address I wanted to set up. However, as infrequently as I use the web service, I did not have an opinion on the new vs. the old; other than that I had to jump some JS hoops due to my configuration of Opera.

Now that I have my new disposable email address I will go back to Mozilla Thunderbird and IMAP. Until they take that away, I will be okay with the limited use I make of that account.

I do wonder what the Yahoo! readers will make of this:

Me to me one-line message.

It is pretty typical of the one liners I send myself through this account these days.
--
Norman

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
reply to Cartel

let us read your email so we can spam you, "more better".

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to Cartel

The EFF suggests:
»prism-break.org/

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Yea a good site bud,merci!!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

siljaline See Profile, thank you for the link. Lots of interesting suggestion to consider
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...