share rss forum feed

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:14
reply to Davesnothere

Well my accounts (Both of them) are locked out UNLESS I ACCEPT THIER BS!!!!! (If i didnt have a way to the classic/mobile interfaces i would be out of luck)

I DONT KNOW WHY THEY ARE PULLING THIS SHIT,THEY CAN READ/MONITOR EVERYTHING ON THIER NETWORK!!!!!!! -- Why try to fool people into thinking they can only do it IF THEY UPGRADE??

Losers they are!!!!!!! (Yahoo)

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits
said by Dude111:

....I DONT KNOW WHY THEY ARE PULLING THIS SHIT,THEY CAN READ/MONITOR EVERYTHING ON THIER NETWORK!!!!!!! -- Why try to fool people into thinking they can only do it IF THEY UPGRADE??

Losers they are!!!!!!! (Yahoo)

I agree that Yahoo is corporately shooting themselves in the foot on several issues recently, and unfortunately, hindsight will become their best friend in time, as they sure don't seem to understand it now !

From a technological perspective, they can do 'whatever they want' with their network (goodness knows, we in Canada have had more than our fair share of that sort of arbitrary BS during the past few years, from incumbent carrier Bell Canada (for example), who began without announcement to throttle certain types of network traffic to insanely low speeds during about 10 hours of the day - first only for their own retail customers, and soon after also for customers of their independent ISP partners - and denying at first that they were doing so (making the independent ISPs and we, their customers wonder what was going wrong with our services), but eventually admitting it and still continuing to do so).

As for the new ToS, I think that Yahoo is tying it together with their GUI 'Side-Grade' in order to satisfy what their legal department wants, not what any of US may think.

Yes, the two things COULD each stand alone, but could you imagine the flack that Yahoo would get if they made no other changes, and held everyone's accounts ransom just for a new ToS ???!!!

I would like to be a fly on the wall of their boardroom if they were to try THAT !

T Bell
T Bell
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Terra Firma
reply to Cartel

Re: Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

Click for full size
I've managed to avoid every update they've thrown at us and will continue the good fight to keep my account "as is."

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Good for you.. That makes 2 of us bud!!

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Why do you care about authentication? You just said it was a postcard anyone can read.

Keep the spammers from using my account to send spam.

Further, how come you (and all Gmail users) have such utter disdain for those who may feel that they have to email you knowing that you don't give a shit about their privacy? What if they don't want Google reading their mail and storing it forever? Google doesn't just read your and your hapless correspondent's mail...they store it forever to use to build a profile on you and the poor soul that had no choice but to use Gmail because they really needed to contact you and had no other email address for you (besides you could be one of those merciless Gmail users who directs even their ISP's email through Google).

Anybody who cares that much about their privacy probably already does as you: Not using email for correspondence.

So, I'm not seeing your statement that you are very concerned about your personal privacy.

All you are seeing is that someone does not share your degree of concern about their privacy. You are harshly judgmental of people who are even moderately less concerned than you.

It's okay if you want to go off on me for that, but I will have you know I keep declining Walgreen's offer for a "loyalty" card, and declined to enter two soda contests because they want information I am not willing to give up.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Dude111

Re:  

Do you think that by keeping the "Classic" interface you are defeating their tracking? Or are you moving to close your Yahoo! accounts yesterday, if not sooner?
--
Norman

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA
Well according to thier new TOS they only track your every move ON THE NEW INTERFACE!!!!!!! (Although we know they can do it now on classic)

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits
said by Dude111:

Well according to thier new TOS they only track your every move ON THE NEW INTERFACE!!!!!!! (Although we know they can [also] do it now on classic)

As I suggested in my last post, yes, they CAN do whatever they please on EITHER interface, from a technical perspective, but they seem to want to formalize things by making it part of their new ToS.

And by [allegedly, as threatened] cutting us off their classic interface, they aim to do just that.

= = = = = = = =

BTW, for the last few days, I should share with y'all that I have been 'playing' with the new Outlook [WebMail] interface and a new account there, and one early comment which needs to be made is that it seems to be a HORRIBLE HOG of CPU resources !

And the oddest part of THAT, is that nothing animated seems to happening on the screen (this is while logged in and sitting idle at the inbox).

Any % which is not being used by any other process gets soaked up by Outlook's tab in my IE8 browser, to a total of 100%.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to NormanS
> by keeping the "Classic" interface

I am far more productive, efficient.

> Outlook

I thought was horrid too.
I noticed a lot (of nonsense) going on, "behind the scenes" with outlook.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Which "outlook"? Microsoft, as is their wont, has created a confusing naming scheme. From Internet Explorer 4, when the changed the name of their email client originally called, "Microsoft Mail and News", to Internet Explorer 6, when they dropped it as a bundled application, they offered, "MS Outlook Express". When Microsoft introduced their "Office" suite, they Offered, "MS Outlook". More recently they rebranded their Web Mail service: Originally offered as, "MSN Hotmail", later as "Windows Live Hotmail", but now simply as, "Outlook.com". So you need to specify; the desktop application, or the web service?
--
Norman

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by NormanS:

....So you need to specify; the desktop application, or the web service?

I think they meant their new WebMail service. - I know I did, and have amended my earlier post to be more clear.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to therube
said by therube:

> by keeping the [Yahoo] "Classic" interface

I am far more productive, efficient.

> Outlook

I thought was horrid too.
I noticed a lot (of nonsense) going on, "behind the scenes" with outlook.

IMNSHO, BOTH services' new WebMail interfaces are simply slathered in BACON ! (excess Memory and/or CPU usage)

(and in REAL life, ah LOVES BACON !)

--

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

I think they meant their new WebMail service. - I know I did, and have amended my earlier post to be more clear.

I am just seeing a tempest in a teapot. I did get the change demand on one of my 'pacbell.net' accounts. I accepted the change, else I would not have been able to create the disposable email address I wanted to set up. However, as infrequently as I use the web service, I did not have an opinion on the new vs. the old; other than that I had to jump some JS hoops due to my configuration of Opera.

Now that I have my new disposable email address I will go back to Mozilla Thunderbird and IMAP. Until they take that away, I will be okay with the limited use I make of that account.

I do wonder what the Yahoo! readers will make of this:

Me to me one-line message.

It is pretty typical of the one liners I send myself through this account these days.
--
Norman

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
reply to Cartel

let us read your email so we can spam you, "more better".

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:18
reply to Cartel
The EFF suggests:
»prism-break.org/

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
USA

Yea a good site bud,merci!!

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

reply to siljaline

siljaline See Profile, thank you for the link. Lots of interesting suggestion to consider
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

My pleasure, OZO See Profile

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
Wordpress was hacked early this year - don't know if the problem has been fixed.

»www.intego.com/mac-security-blog ··· ss-site/

I'd double check on some of these sites just in case.

There are apps like Thunderbird for Android. I disabled Gmail via Titanium Backup, and use Aquamail. There are plenty of others.

There doesn't seem to be much on apps from another country.
There are loads of oriental, Russian, French apps - (the phone is shown in these languages.) How do foreign devs deal with Prism?

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to therube

Re:  

Click for full size
This just turned up when I went to do a (mail) search:

therube

Randallstown, MD

1 edit
Ah, I screwed up!
This sucks ...

So I checked, "Basic".
But "Basic" is not Classic.
And it is also not "Full featured" (cough, cough, cough).
And it is not nearly as nice as Classic.

I WANT MY CLASSIC BACK!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to therube

Nice Parody !

What Yahoo is doing to us still sucks, though.

BTW folks, the REAL screen is shown at (Direct Link) : »Yahoo email forced upgrade (again)

And so far, it has not hit us yet in Canada, as of earlier today.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to therube
said by therube:

....So I checked, "Basic".

I WANT MY CLASSIC BACK !

+1 to that !

And yes, my NEXT question already was :

Is the new Basic even CLOSE to the old Classic in appearance, function, and lean usage of CPU & RAM ?

--

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

2 edits
Click for full size
> Is Basic even CLOSE to the old Classic in appearance, function, and lean usage of CPU & RAM ?

Without having done much with it ...

1) BLAND. no differentiation between any of the areas, any of the dialogs, & the mbox's, mails themselves. it all blends together. instead of /knowing/ where some is, you have to /think about/ it.

2) i can still open messages in tabs, thankfully!

3) sorting is not as nice. before, you clicked a column header & it sorted. now you have to select a dropdown ... & that whole dialog area is just plain, ugly. column header, that's normal stuff. you know what it does. now i've got this ugly "sort" dialog sitting there - all the time, in my face!

4) if you screen is not maximized, you loose a LOT, most all of, (what was formerly called) the "From" column. (it's no longer a "From" column. now is just BLAND, meaningless, unnamed, a section of your screen with words.)

5) much greater vertical spacing between messages. so less visibly displays on your screen at one time. so you see less, so you are less aware.

6) prior i had 100 messages displaying at once. now it looks like 50?

7) no "mark all", that i can see? many times i would "mark all", then deselect particular messages. performing an action, in mass, on those selected. like Delete. not being able to do that is laughable. (maybe i'm just not seeing it.)

8) file sizes are no longer shown.

9) attachments "column" (of which there are no more columns, everything being BLAND, a blob of nothingness) is moved, far less conspicuous.

10) mark unread. often i would open a message, get a feel for it, then mark it as unread. that tells me it's something i wanted to come back to. used to be the "mark unread" displayed in the message itself. click it, as i'm in the message & done. now there is a dropdown PITA to content with. ugly!

--

performance does not seem to be impacted.
it probably isn't that bad.

more that it is not UI friendly. Ugly, actually. poor layout. poor differentiation between sections. uses too much screen real estate.

---

now, for the moment (not on this account) that i saw the "newest" Yahoo! Mail, now that is 100% utter FAIL.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to carpetshark3

It should prove to be interesting what some resort to.
Some are not as advertised but that goes without saying.
These would be the strictly web-based services.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

said by siljaline:

These would be the strictly web-based services.

Indeed. Although I did accept the change on one account, my email does not look any different from before:

E-mail in Mozilla Thunderbird.

--
Norman

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
I use T-Bird as well and my mail does not differ any than it did.

Did note that the EFF link doesn't alert to stay away from webpages offering Disqus

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TELUS
·Shaw
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to therube

Re:  

said by therube:

Ah, I screwed up!
This sucks ...

So I checked, "Basic".

I WANT MY CLASSIC BACK!

»mrd.mail.yahoo.com/switchclassic

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to therube
quote:
7) no "mark all", that i can see? many times i would "mark all", then deselect particular messages. performing an action, in mass, on those selected. like Delete. not being able to do that is laughable. (maybe i'm just not seeing it.)

Still not seeing it.

I typically let my SPAM box just accumulate messages.
Every so often I'll go in, review & delete in mass.

Sometimes I'll sign up for something new, knowing that I'll expect to see a few messages come in from that source in rapid succession.

At those times, I'll want to go in & review, then empty my SPAM box, so that if those new messages, for whatever reason, end up in my SPAM box, they are easily determinable.

Having no way clear the box, in mass (other then blindly clicking the 'Empty' link), renders it unusable.

therube

Randallstown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 edit
reply to Cartel
> »mrd.mail.yahoo.com/switchclassic

Thanks, that works .
Only problem is that you have to use that link, because if you (what I typically do) type in "mail.yahoo.com", you end up in the newer interface.

quote:
(Wonder if clearing cookies...)

Nope.