join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS

2 recommendations

Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

As of June 1, all Yahoo email users are required to upgrade to the company's newest platform, which allows Yahoo to scan and analyze every email they write or receive. According to Yahoo's help page, all users who make the transition agree to let the company perform "content scanning and analyzing of your communications content" to target ads, offer products, and perform "abuse protection."

continued....
»www.startpage.com/eng/press/yaho···ils.html

Wow thats crazy.
I use yahoo and I don't like the sounds of this!

Gay and haven't come out yet? Yahoo knows. Having an affair? Your spouse may not know — but Yahoo does. Any interests, ailments or projects you'd rather not share? You're sharing them with Yahoo, perhaps forever.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

Yes and they tried it LAST YEAR and nothing stopped working... They are trying to get ppl to CONSENT TO THIS which is why they dont just UPGRADE EVERYONE!!!

Do not WILLINGLY upgrade to that intrusive garbage!!!!!!!

There are ways to the original interface AND THE MOBILE INTERFACE!!!! (»mlogin.yahoo.com)

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

1 recommendation

So Yahoo is lying when they say this?

"Older versions of Yahoo! Mail will only be available until the beginning of June 2013, and after that, you can access your Yahoo! Mail only if you upgrade to the new version. You should have received an email from Yahoo! letting you know that your account required an upgrade".

»help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=con···=SLN3254

Why is everyone upset? Google mail has been doing exactly the same thing since day one and there was no roar of protest. Several years later when another email provider decides to do the same thing there is a storm of protest? That doesn't make sense.

"The new tracking policy affects more than just Yahoo account holders. Everyone who corresponds with a Yahoo email account holder will also have their own
message content scanned, analyzed, and stored by Yahoo, even if they themselves have not agreed to Yahoo's new terms of service.

"Emailing through Yahoo means surrendering your privacy, whether it's your own account or your friend's," says Harvard-trained privacy expert Katherine Albrecht, who is helping to develop StartMail, an upcoming email service that will not scan its users' correspondence."

»www.startpage.com/eng/press/yaho···ils.html

All fine and good there is to be a new email service that is privacy based, but where the hell was StartPage when Google pulled the same crap? It is ok for Google to do it but not Yahoo? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy. Geez...
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

No not good for GMAIL either which is why i dont use them! (I have an acct but i dont use it (I dont trust them))

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to Cartel

Re: Yahoo to Users: Let Us Read Your Emails or -- Goodbye!

Is Microsoft doing the same thing with Outlook.com?

therube

join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD
reply to Cartel

Being informed is nice.

But being informed by a wannabe (beta at this point) competitor to the service they're harping about ... doesn't sit right with me.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to Cartel

I guess email is considered to be "public" and therefore readable by anyone these days. The three-letter agencies read and monitor emails at will so why shouldn't providers?

There are smaller, and fee-based, providers that claim they don't scan emails. Remember there's no such thing as a free lunch--or free email.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

reply to kickass69

I just left group and spam messages on Yahoo. Anything else I've switched. If they want Portuguese spam, they are welcome to it.
Sometimes someone in a Group will email for clarification on a how-to post and I will answer that.

I have no contacts listed. Profile and name were made up since I started the account years ago. No picture and profile not public.

No personal information in groups. Mostly how-to type messages.
Astronomy, breadmaking, photography and sewing machines. I never discuss my "dh" (dear husband) and family in the groups. (A lot do)
Don't get group digests in email.

No personal or business messages. If an old personal message turns up, I reply through another email service and delete the message. Yahoo has no way of knowing whether or not I replied.

I turn off images on the fly when on Yahoo. Yimg is their message ad crap among other things. You can still read groups without yimg allowed.

I also forbid Yahoo and yimg when I leave. It's more steps, but being a PITA is revenge if NoScript actually blocks the stuff. Yahoo does complain about not having Javascript enabled for mail.

I only enable yimg to read what little mail there is and dump the spam, then turn it off until I finish reading groups. Turn it on again to log out. Then off again on leaving. Everything else is dumped when I close FX.

I don't care for Gmail either but I have an Android phone and tablet.
Phone is rooted. Location, maps and Google social crap deleted. Nothing synced on the phone.

computerman2
Premium
join:2002-04-20
Rockwood, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..
·AT&T Midwest

Is it safe to use either Windows 8 Mail app with yahoo mail? mainly get mail on yahoo from at&t service notices, and junk most of the time--had this yahoo addy/at&t isp email merged since 2005

or should I install Desktop Application--Windows Live Mail, and not bother with accessing yahoo mail on the web anymore?

red2

@fastwebnet.it
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

I guess email is considered to be "public" and therefore readable by anyone these days. The three-letter agencies read and monitor emails at will so why shouldn't providers?

There are smaller, and fee-based, providers that claim they don't scan emails. Remember there's no such thing as a free lunch--or free email.

I've always hated that analogy. I think it's safer to say that one should consider the "possibility" of email being public and to therefore not use it to transmit what you consider confidential. But that does NOT by any means suggest that email should be deemed to be a public broadcast.

One can only hope those in three letter agencies who are reading emails are doing so for security reasons. I don't like it, don't think it is effective, but can understand why it is done.

We already pay for our lunch. Yahoo and others make plenty of money by having users in their network. They already deliver advertising to users.

Giving them additional permission to scan and analyze your emails would be akin to giving police officers on the street who stop you for speeding the right to strip search you. That goes way beyond what is necessary to prevent accidents. And in that regard, giving Yahoo the right to scan and analyze emails goes way beyond their needs to be able to deliver advertising.

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to computerman2

said by computerman2:

Is it safe to use either Windows 8 Mail app with yahoo mail? mainly get mail on yahoo from at&t service notices, and junk most of the time--had this yahoo addy/at&t isp email merged since 2005

or should I install Desktop Application--Windows Live Mail, and not bother with accessing yahoo mail on the web anymore?

As far as I know you can use POP or IMAP clients with Yahoo mail. They still may scan your messages. Same with gmail.

I don't really see this as any big deal. You should never have been treating e-mail as anything other than a post-card already. Anything confidential over e-mail should be encrypted.

What sort of ads would Yahoo serve me based on..... ?

hQIMA+8T/DfFRk/+MXDXEz6gwSz2bS27Tiwms9BOS+ZIdjlsIgGL3qeA1C5GzfslybCmReFoNfUJFpBPRkgADSDFuZThsKHUIDvp4KUFBSV0eUiGO5b2gWxviIP3 2GyMbqYzZ23IY108kK1baolC4o2IJD/Hr0DH9rDstdvlOPRvB9THWIEvau9sCzh5oMIjfgrrm2qu17LqQGGz3ip8t3Cwyjtb6Po0Bl3pl/ZQkdNjGaJDHPKd1ZDO3swMxQl5ErcTIfDzGkV8NrrLUWBeG03tIX0BquYSM9G+Y9aSeSNkMwrXXBXK
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

neochu

join:2008-12-12
Windsor, ON
reply to Cartel

The only thing Yahoo has done to mine is make it harder and harder to access because I don't have a mobile phone number on the account.

Other then a few small activities I dont really use Ymail as much as I used to so there is nothing really there for me to read.

That and every single time my ISP changes the IP it thinks my email is being hacked and locks me out of the account until I give a different email address.

I cannot afford a mobile phone, nor will I ever really have one because of the financhial details so if it continues I will more then likely use another service.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to Mele20

Re:  

said by Mele20:

Why is everyone upset? Google mail has been doing exactly the same thing since day one and there was no roar of protest. Several years later when another email provider decides to do the same thing there is a storm of protest? That doesn't make sense.

Why everyone is upset? May be because those people value their privacy, don't they...

And BTW, let me remind you - there was roar of protest and people (as I remember, including you) got upset about Google starting scanning emails.

said by Mele20:

where the hell was StartPage when Google pulled the same crap? It is ok for Google to do it but not Yahoo? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy. Geez...

You don't know what you actually want, do you? If you want to keep the bits of privacy left at this point, you'd thank StartPage. Instead you bash them ... for inconsistency. Do you have one?
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

2 recommendations

reply to Cartel

“People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both”

Benjamin Franklin

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON

said by Cartel:

“People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both”

Benjamin Franklin

This story has not a bit to do with freedom or security. Don't want to use yahoo mail because of their policy? Then don't. Many alternatives already existed before "StartMail". A product (e-mail) that is set to begin "beta testing" some time in 2013?
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to OZO

Re:  

I was being sarcastic. Where the heck is the sarcasm smilie? I assumed most regulars here knew where I stand (including what I think of StartPage).

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

When in doubt I use

/sarcasm on

/sarcasm off

--

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Cartel

It's pretty simple, really.

If you don't want a machine scanning your email, don't use email, or at the very least don't use webmail. Any webmail.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

DrDemento

join:2005-07-25
Brick, NJ

Pretty sound advice. One reason I have kept my Juno email accounts active for the past 20+ years in addition to having others like Yahoo, Goodle, Comcast, etc. Sometimes diversity is a good idea and sometimes newer innovations are not always for the better.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to Cartel

I told Yahoo goodbye years ago. It was painless ...

Phoenix22
Death From Above
Premium
join:2001-12-11
SOG C&C Nrth

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

stuart..............
therez an old adage we use from way back when.........don't post anything on the net that you want to keep private.....period
we r talkin' 1995 here............
jd

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Phoenix22:

...don't post anything on the net that you want to keep private.....period

Yup. That's certainly been true since 9/11 when gummints everywhere decided they need to monitor everyone and everything (not just the internet).

As I've said before "Bob likes to watch--and listen".
--

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by StuartMW:

said by Phoenix22:

...don't post anything on the net that you want to keep private.....period

Yup. That's certainly been true since 9/11 when gummints everywhere decided they need to monitor everyone and everything (not just the internet).

As I've said before "Bob likes to watch--and listen".

Uhmm... actually, it's been true a lot longer than 9/11. Echelon started out as a Cold War intel tool back in the Johnson era, but quickly evolved into something a lot broader and more general as the perpetual governmental "desire to watch" began to get leverage from the explosion in digital technology. Ever since, it's been one ever-more comprehensive system after another - all watching and listening.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

said by Blackbird:

Uhmm... actually, it's been true a lot longer than 9/11. Echelon started out as a Cold War intel tool back in the Johnson era, but quickly evolved into something a lot broader and more general as the perpetual governmental "desire to watch" began to get leverage from the explosion in digital technology. Ever since, it's been one ever-more comprehensive system after another - all watching and listening.

Exactly. None of this is anything new, just what they're listening to is advancing to keep up with the changing technology. Echelon is well known.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,996 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to Blackbird

said by Blackbird :

Uhmm... actually, it's been true a lot longer than 9/11.

Sure but it's on steroids nowadays
--

Zee5tH

join:2005-09-08

Hi:Just a quick question I have ATT Uverse which started when I had dsl with @sbcglobal.net is that a concern with yahoo format because they use a similar type e mail,but never got the e mail notices from them saying you have to change to the new format by june 1.Just want to make sure.Appreciate any help.Thanks.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

said by Zee5tH:

Hi:Just a quick question I have ATT Uverse which started when I had dsl with @sbcglobal.net is that a concern with yahoo format because they use a similar type e mail,but never got the e mail notices from them saying you have to change to the new format by june 1.Just want to make sure.Appreciate any help.Thanks.

I have uverse, but started with ameritech dsl.

Yes, I did receive mail that we would be required to update:
quote:
On or after June 10, 2013, through July 2013 all users of att.net Mail will be prompted to upgrade their att.net Mail accounts. You'll see some exciting changes in att.net webmail that include a new look and feel that makes att.net webmail even easier to use. Once your account is upgraded, the webmail version you're currently using will no longer be available.
I received that around May 15. I have only quoted one paragraph - about 1/3 of the message.

This is apparently the Yahoo "upgrade" being forced on ATT/Yahoo users.

I take the "June 10, 2013, through July 2013" to mean that this will be staged - users won't all be "upgraded" at the same time.
--
AT&T Uverse; Buffalo WHR-300HP router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3; firefox 21.0

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA

The "upgrade" was forced on me two or three weeks ago. Despite assurances in the notification email that no action was required on my part, I was locked out of my account when the change happened. When I called c/s to get the password reset, the rep I talked to hadn't even heard that the changes were happening.
--
Panic is the new patriotism

javaMan
The Dude abides.
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-15
San Luis Obispo, CA

said by Rocky67:

. . .

When I called c/s to get the password reset, the rep I talked to hadn't even heard that the changes were happening.

That's about par for the course with them.
--
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness. . . Isa. 5:20

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

Remember there's no such thing as a free lunch--or free email.

Or Private anything any more. Pandora's box is opened for all to see and cannot be slammed shut again.