join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to 19579823

Premium Member

to 19579823

Re:  

So Yahoo is lying when they say this?

"Older versions of Yahoo! Mail will only be available until the beginning of June 2013, and after that, you can access your Yahoo! Mail only if you upgrade to the new version. You should have received an email from Yahoo! letting you know that your account required an upgrade".

»help.yahoo.com/kb/index? ··· =SLN3254

Why is everyone upset? Google mail has been doing exactly the same thing since day one and there was no roar of protest. Several years later when another email provider decides to do the same thing there is a storm of protest? That doesn't make sense.

"The new tracking policy affects more than just Yahoo account holders. Everyone who corresponds with a Yahoo email account holder will also have their own
message content scanned, analyzed, and stored by Yahoo, even if they themselves have not agreed to Yahoo's new terms of service.

"Emailing through Yahoo means surrendering your privacy, whether it's your own account or your friend's," says Harvard-trained privacy expert Katherine Albrecht, who is helping to develop StartMail, an upcoming email service that will not scan its users' correspondence."

»www.startpage.com/eng/pr ··· ils.html

All fine and good there is to be a new email service that is privacy based, but where the hell was StartPage when Google pulled the same crap? It is ok for Google to do it but not Yahoo? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy. Geez...
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

19579823 (banned)

No not good for GMAIL either which is why i dont use them! (I have an acct but i dont use it (I dont trust them))
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Why is everyone upset? Google mail has been doing exactly the same thing since day one and there was no roar of protest. Several years later when another email provider decides to do the same thing there is a storm of protest? That doesn't make sense.

Why everyone is upset? May be because those people value their privacy, don't they...

And BTW, let me remind you - there was roar of protest and people (as I remember, including you) got upset about Google starting scanning emails.
said by Mele20:

where the hell was StartPage when Google pulled the same crap? It is ok for Google to do it but not Yahoo? Talk about inconsistency and hypocrisy. Geez...

You don't know what you actually want, do you? If you want to keep the bits of privacy left at this point, you'd thank StartPage. Instead you bash them ... for inconsistency. Do you have one?
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

I was being sarcastic. Where the heck is the sarcasm smilie? I assumed most regulars here knew where I stand (including what I think of StartPage).

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

When in doubt I use

/sarcasm on

/sarcasm off

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I was being sarcastic. Where the heck is the sarcasm smilie?

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

She's hot hot hot!

georgermct
PERFORMANCE
join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT

georgermct to Mele20

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Who's using Google mail...Google is pure evil tracking EVERYTHING you do.
Everything that is touched by Google is off limits to me and it should be to everyone but there is a LOT of people that don't care.

You get what you deserve.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

?? Did you not read the entire thread? I said that comment was sarcastic. You are preaching to the choir.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

3 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to georgermct

Premium Member

to georgermct
said by georgermct:

....Google is pure evil tracking EVERYTHING you do.

Everything that is touched by Google is off limits to me and it should be to everyone but there is a LOT of people that don't care....

And that is why some of us here have been discussing and looking at - yes, hard to believe - but, Microsoft's webmail offering, now rebranded to the name 'Outlook'.

Naturally, with the impending change of Yahoo's GUI alone ("Change is not necessarily Progress !"), I and others have been shopping around for other webmail providers recently, and now this added whammy of me agreeing to a new ToS which lets Yahoo look at my mail ?

Not gonna happen !

Now I have TWO reasons to go elsewhere, and Google also has a 2nd reason which will keep me away :

They bitch at my choice of web browser (using a screen-hogging nag which I can dismiss on every page, but I cannot defeat), and I have good reasons for this choice and am not switching just to satisfy THEM.

I only had the Google GMail account as a side-effect of playing with their cloud-based apps last year, and they didn't even tell me that I had it at the time.

So, it might be that at least THIS TIME, Microsloth is the lesser evil ?

[Dave cannot believe that he just posted that last thought ! ]
Davesnothere

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

....Now I have TWO reasons to go elsewhere....

Actually, there is a TURD reason to consider closing your Yahoo accounts, and just I started another thread about it :

»Yahoo's 'Create Extra Email Address' link seems Broken