Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..

[Wireless] Need recommendation on bridging for updated network

I am in the market to update my wireless network. I currently have two WRT54GL (Linux) with DD-WRT running on them. I have one routing serving the internet and another router that is wirelessly bridged into it.

What newer Linksys / Cisco routers will give me the same end result with faster speeds?
--
A citizen of The United States of Amnesia. How quickly we forget.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
Reviews:
·Callcentric

Re: [Wireless] Need recommendation on bridging for updated netwo

First you need to define where you think the bottleneck is - if any. Are you looking for faster machine to machine transfers inside your network or is the problem to other systems?

If the latter, chances are it's your internet connection that needs upgrading. Most consumer routers can keep up with the more common broadband subscriptions.

fatmanskinny
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Wandering
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast Digital ..
I think the bottleneck may be in the wireless network. I am on Comcast HSI plus I have Vonage.

The main router goes into the Comcast modem (Docsis 3). Vonage is plugged directly into the main router while every other connection either connects via wireless or through the bridged modem in another part of my house.
--
A citizen of The United States of Amnesia. How quickly we forget.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM
Reviews:
·Callcentric
Sorry - it's still not quite clear you have a problem. Let's start with what speed you are getting from your ISP. If that is 20MBps or less, chances are your router isn't the problem. The WRT54G is getting a bit long in tooth, but should be able to support up to 20MBps connections with no problem. Wireless can be slower if you are running a mixed B/G environment, and also if you don't have a strong wireless signal.

You can confirm this by plugging your computer directly into the Comcast modem and running a speedtest at speedtest.comcast.net. Compare those results to what you see when you have a wired connection through the router, and then a wireless connection.

Once you have those numbers you can see if you have a problem or not.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to fatmanskinny
Like the traveguy said, will need to know what you have now and what you think is slow to know what is needed.

But those old routers are only 100M and a wireless bridge is not a fast connection. So if you want a faster home network get new router with a 1gig switch, and if you need to expand it bridge it to another 1Gig switch by wire if possible.