spc
Search similar:

uniqs
breto
join:2013-03-12
Lake Zurich, IL

breto

litecylinder recall

Anyone else got one of these "see through" propane tanks for their grill or RV...

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· zmOJbkeQ

Last week I got an email saying there was a safety recall and you should have it emptied - this week I get an email saying, basically, "bye"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Subject: Emergency Recall Order

Please be advised that The Lite Cylinder Company is no longer in business and is currently evaluating its legal options. The company’s facility is now closed and unable to receive cylinders returned per the instructions detailed in US DOT – PHMSA Emergency Order No. 2013-002. Furthermore, the company is financially insolvent and will not be able to recompense cylinder owners, dealers and distributors for the expenses incurred in complying with this Emergency Recall Order.

If you have any questions concerning the Emergency Recall Order you should contact John Heneghan, Regional Director, at (404) 832-1140, john.heneghan@dot.gov, or Aaron Mitchell, Director Field Services Support, at (202) 366-4455, aaron.mitchell@dot.gov.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyone else got one? Now you know :-/

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

Apparently problems were found with the manufacturing process.

"The emergency order was issued after a PHMSA investigation of Lite Cylinder of Franklin, Tennessee, revealed unsafe conditions and practices."

»www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal ··· mt=print

Bamafan2277
Premium Member
join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN

Bamafan2277 to breto

Premium Member

to breto
Sounds like the owners are taking the cheap and coward way out by shutting down the business before the recall can be fully enacted. You should definately discharge your unit and store it unti more details come out on the recall. Hopefully the governement will freeze their funds to help pay for the recall to customers.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to breto

Premium Member

to breto
Thanks for the info about this! I have two freshly filled 33# cylinders that I use(d) with a portable genny. No communication from Lite Cylinder even though, according to the DOT via the link robbin See Profile provided, issues with the 33# cylinders have been known for quite a long time. Judging from the documents on the site, you could put a composite fork in 'em; they are done. It will take me a long time to use 60+ pounds of propane in the grill. Burgers anyone?

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by Zach:

according to the DOT via the link robbin See Profile provided, issues with the 33# cylinders have been known for quite a long time.

I will admit that I didn't read any of the links in the page I posted last night. I have now. This is an interesting read.

»www.phmsa.dot.gov/static ··· tter.pdf

Sadly this was an American made product.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach

Premium Member

Yes, those pdf documents read like the obituary of a company in distress. I had some hope they may survive until reading up. They had some serious problems from the start and it's very surprising it took so long for the DOT discover the problems and pull the plug. I've used these tanks since early 2009 so I can't complain too much although I will miss being able to see the fuel level and the lighter weight. The company in town where I first saw composite tanks has racks of them for their tow motors. As a small business owner, it's sad to read about something like this. The fact it was an American product makes it even more disappointing.