spc
Search similar:

uniqs
brandon0921
join:2013-06-04
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

Assistance needed with VOD and Guide info in alternate setup

So I followed the WAN to LAN guide in replacing my the Actiontec router with a 3rd party aftermarket ASUS router. The transition went smoothly and was fully operable for weeks, until my roommate decided to make changes to our TV subscription. In doing so I came home to a fully functional Internet connection, but all the guides were no longer working on the STB's. I tried removing the power from the and rebooting with no luck.

In troubleshooting the Actiontec I noticed that the connection to my network switch (which sits between the Actiontec and Asus router) was plugged into a LAN port rather than the WAN specified in the config. It is possible, but unlikely that someone changed the port nevertheless i changed it back and reset the boxes with no luck.

I also tried the following:

Turned off DHCP on Actiontec, statically assigned all STB's and IP
They receive an IP and Gateway but no DNS and one or two other tests fail in the self diagnostics test.

Tried both LAN and WAN ports

Reset Actiontec to factory defaults

Changed ASUS router network subnet mast to /16 and extended the DHCP range to include the 192.168.1.x subnet (I'm using the 192.168.0.x for my LAN)
To me this makes sense that they are on the same network, but then I dont see the need for a WAN connection if that is the case which was outlines in the guide.

I had everything working with a /24 bit mask on my LAN only allocating addresses 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.25 via DHCP. Also, apparently the Actiontec was connected through its LAN link to the switch. No idea how this was working, but apparently it was.

*Also worth noting while everything was functional:
Turned off Wireless on Actiontec
Disabled DHCP on Actiontec
Opened port 443 for HTTPS management
Configured Actiontec as a bridge

Any ideas
brandon0921

brandon0921

Perhaps I should reconfigure everything following the LAN to LAN methodology this weekend, but until then, does anyone have a temporary fix for me?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to brandon0921

MVM

to brandon0921
Your post is very confusing.
said by brandon0921:

I tried removing the power from the and rebooting with no luck.

Rebooting what?
said by brandon0921:

In troubleshooting the Actiontec I noticed that the connection to my network switch (which sits between the Actiontec and Asus router) was plugged into a LAN port rather than the WAN specified in the config. It is possible, but unlikely that someone changed the port nevertheless i changed it back and reset the boxes with no luck.

Clearly someone moved it. The instructions for LAN-to-LAN are quite different from LAN-to-WAN. That would explain why it stopped working.
said by brandon0921:

Turned off DHCP on Actiontec

Which DHCP? WAN DHCP or LAN DHCP? It's easiest not turn off either DHCP. The only reason to assign a static WAN address to the Actiontec is so that it is at a known address on the Asus LAN. You can't assign true static addresses to the STBs. This must be done at the STB and VZ does not provide an interface to do so. You can create a DHCP reservation, but there is no need to do so.
said by brandon0921:

Changed ASUS router network subnet mast to /16 and extended the DHCP range to include the 192.168.1.x subnet (I'm using the 192.168.0.x for my LAN)

Huh? That statement makes no sense. The ASUS should know nothing about the 192.168.1.x subnet when using the LAN-to-WAN configuration.
said by brandon0921:

To me this makes sense that they are on the same network, but then I dont see the need for a WAN connection if that is the case which was outlines in the guide.

WAN-to-LAN and LAN-to-LAN instructions are different and have different trade-offs as listed in the FAQ. Decide which one you want, reset both routers to defaults and follow the instructions step by step. They have been tested and been followed many times and are known to work. Stop messing with settings like subnet mask that just confuse things.
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

Ill clarify as my original post was somewhat misleading:

Rebooted the STB's

DHCP turned off for LAN address allocation(On Actiontec), we do not have a static WAN address

Changed the subnet since the LAN port is where the cable is connected to on the Actiontec. I am trying to troubleshoot this remotely, so I am working with what I have.

I really don't find subnetting all that confusing, apologies for my complicated post. I am just looking for a temporary fix and was hoping someone could point out something that I may be overlooking. I do have a solid grasp on networking, however what I do find confusing is the interface on the Actiontec router.

If I throw everything in the same subnet, which I have done by changing the bitmask of the network and the LAN port is being used on the Actiontec, why am I unable to receive data for my set top boxes? Will a series of reboots of DHCP releases on the STB's resolve the issue? Again, not trying to upset anyone, just trying to cut a few corners so I can configure remotely and keep the others I live with off my case till I have time to correctly configure the network as outlined in the guide. (Which will be the LAN to LAN guide).

Thank you in advance
brandon0921

brandon0921

I should also note that prior to making any changes, I switched the cable back to the WAN port on the Actiontec and rebooted a few STB's. This did not resolve the issue. Is there a possibility that VZ perhaps needs to reboot the ONT box or something along them lines? I ask because the issue occurred after removing HBO and upgrading to the Quantum FIOS package.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to brandon0921

Premium Member

to brandon0921
A. Sometimes you can't cut corners or do it remotely.
B. Equipment fails.
C. Murphy's Law. If anything can go wrong, it will do so at the most inopportune moment.

Every time I had a bank of lights and a handful of trouble, it was a router problem. I've been very lucky.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

MVM

to brandon0921
You need to make up your mind as to which configuration you're trying to troubleshoot. Stop mixing instructions from the two different configurations. Stop adding in your own "fixes".
said by brandon0921:

DHCP turned off for LAN address allocation(On Actiontec)

In the LAN-to-WAN configuration, DHCP server must be on in the Actiontec for the STBs to get an IP address. Do not try to give them DHCP reservations.
said by brandon0921:

we do not have a static WAN address

I was NOT asking if your external IP address was static. In the LAN-to-WAN configuration, the WAN port of the Actiontec gets an IP address from the Asus LAN. This can either be a static address on the 192.168.0.x subnet, or the Actiontec can request an address from the Asus via DHCP.
I was asking if the Actiontec's WAN address was static or DHCP.
said by brandon0921:

Changed the subnet since the LAN port is where the cable is connected to on the Actiontec. I am trying to troubleshoot this remotely, so I am working with what I have.

I'm still confused about what you're trying to get working. You keep asking about the WAN-to-LAN configuration, but are telling me it's connected LAN-to-LAN, but also that you won't reconfigure it for LAN-to-LAN until this weekend. Which is it?
said by brandon0921:

I really don't find subnetting all that confusing

There is no reason to change subnet masks if you follow the instructions in the FAQ.
said by brandon0921:

If I throw everything in the same subnet, which I have done by changing the bitmask of the network and the LAN port is being used on the Actiontec, why am I unable to receive data for my set top boxes?

Clearly you didn't follow the instructions for the LAN-to-LAN configuration if you did this.
said by brandon0921:

just trying to cut a few corners

The fastest and easiest solution I see is:
•Reconnect the the Actiontec as LAN-to-WAN.
•Do a hard reset on the Actiontec.
•Reboot (power cycle) all the STBs
That should get you running.
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

I got somebody at the house to switch it back to WAN to LAN and factory reset the Actiontec, then reset the STB's. This did not work.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Only other things I can suggest:
•You need to check if the Actiontec is getting a 192.168.0.x WAN IP address from the Asus. If not, there a problem on the ASUS side.
•Make sure the subnet mask on the Asus is back to /24. You can't have the Asus and the Actiontec on the same subnet in the LAN-to-WAN configuration.
•Connect a PC to the Actiontec and verify it can get to the internet.
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

I configured the net mask back to /24, but I do not see the ASUS providing the Actiontec with a 192.168.0.x address. I will have to check this when I am home.

Thank you for your assitance
brandon0921

brandon0921 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Everything is set to dynamic on both routers, but I still can not get a WAN address from the ASUS router.
Any suggestions?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

My next step would be to hook up a hub and a laptop running Wireshark to see what's happening to the DHCP request from the Actiontec.

You should see the following DHCP exchange:

Actiontec Asus
--------- -----
Discover -->
<-- Offer
Request -->
<-- Ack
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

I'll give that a go tonight.

Thanks!
brandon0921

to More Fiber
I'll give that a go tonight.

Thanks!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to brandon0921

MVM

to brandon0921
said by brandon0921:

but I do not see the ASUS providing the Actiontec with a 192.168.0.x address. I will have to check this when I am home.

Also, don't forget physical requirements. Look for the link lights to show ethernet connection is solid. A bad cable will prevent Actiontec WAN pulling an address from the Asus. Try a different LAN port. Also, my preference has been, where possible, to connect Actiontec directly to Asus LAN rather than go through a switch.

If someone else, not you, has been modifying the network, it may be useful to start from scratch with hard reset on all items. STB will only do a hard reset (well, it's really a power-off reset) when power cord is removed from wall outlet.

Your description sounds like you have the Asus as primary, with a switch hanging off the Asus LAN for your internet-connected devices, and the Actiontec WAN connected to the Asus LAN.

What's running on the Actiontec LAN besides the STB? Actiontec LAN must have DHCP running.
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

I'm at a complete loss.

Here is the latest.

I factory reset the Actiontec router and configured it using the LAN to LAN faq found here: »Verizon FiOS FAQ »Replacing the Actiontec (part 4): LAN-to-LAN keeps all devices on one network
-So to be clear I am not running a cat 6 line from the ONT a 3rd party Asus router. From that router I am connecting into a Netgear switch. Hanging off the Netgear switch is the Actiontec router, which has a coaxial connection to 4 STB's.

The STB's still are not getting a guide, but they are receiving a LAN IP, a DNS address, and a Gateway which is pointing at the Actiontec (192.168.1.2) --- Is this the issue? Should the STB's have the ASUS router (192.168.1.1), as their Gateway? I'm not sure since the GW for the Actiontec is the ASUS.

If i look in the address list on the ASUS, I can see all the STB's and their MAC populated.

On the Actiontec, the Coax link is a solid green and the LAN port is blinking.

Like i said, I am at a loss and desperate for some assistance. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help me out of this jam.
brandon0921

brandon0921

I think I have uncovered some more useful information. I've noticed that everytime I reboot my Actiontec the LAN IP's are dropped on the STB's, this maybe has something to do with the boxes getting their IP's from the Actiontec, even tho DHCP was flipped off, idk???

I dug through the logs on the router and it is flooded with dropped packets to the STB's. The log does not identify what the packets are, but my best guess would be UDP DHCP offer packets (I will scan with Wireshark in a few). The switch shows no transmit errors, neither does the Actiontec.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

MVM

to brandon0921
said by brandon0921:

So to be clear I am not running a cat 6 line from the ONT a 3rd party Asus router.

If you're NOT running cat6 from the ONT, how are you getting to the WAN port of the ASUS?
said by brandon0921:

Should the STB's have the ASUS router (192.168.1.1), as their Gateway?

In an earlier post, you stated the subnet for the ASUS was 192.168.0.x. Have you changed that per step 12 of the FAQ?

Can a PC connected to the Actiontec get a DHCP address from the ASUS and access the internet?
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

I am running a cat 6 line from the ONT*, that was a type-o

I started over and followed every detail outlined in the walkthrough i linked.

And I will go check the 3rd thing after the B's game

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to brandon0921

MVM

to brandon0921
said by brandon0921:

Hanging off the Netgear switch is the Actiontec router, which has a coaxial connection to 4 STB's.

Do you have, or intend to have, any device connected to one of the Actiontec's ethernet LAN ports?
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

to More Fiber
With a PC connected to a LAN port on the Actiontec, I do NOT receive an IP. The PC is set to DHCP.
brandon0921

brandon0921 to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
I do not, aside from the link to the Netgear switch.

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by brandon0921:

I do not, aside from the link to the Netgear switch.

If the switch is between the Asus primary and the Actiontec secondary simply because of distance, then leave it that way, otherwise my preference has been to connect the secondary router directly to the primary's LAN port.

Since the only LAN connections on the Actiontec are to the STBs, you can use the Part 3 WAN to LAN configuration just as well plus it's simpler to set up. Set the Asus LAN to 192.168.0.1, let the Actiontec pull a DHCP address from the Asus, let the Actiontec deliver DHCP addresses to its LAN on 192.168.1.1

You should see your STBs pull addresses. If there is no problem between the Asus and the Actiontec, you should see the internet connection light on the Actiontec illuminate. You should see the STB guide data and VOD work.

Further, in the Actiontec, you can set remote admin and see it from the Asus LAN by going to the Actiontec WAN address plus remote port, similar to »192.168.0.2:8080

This is what I do and it's been working for years. Actually, the Actiontec is connected to my slingbox (needs a port forward) and to my weather station. Everything else is connected to my Asus as primary.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

What is the default start DHCP IP address, default lease time, default subnet, default router address, and default client lease time for the Actiontec?

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by Mike Wolf:

What is the default start DHCP IP address, default lease time, default subnet, default router address, and default client lease time for the Actiontec?

192.168.1.2 start LAN
24 hours lease LAN
255.255.255.255 LAN
whatever VZ assigns to WAN
2 hours lease WAN

LAN address for admin is 192.168.1.1
brandon0921
Johnston, RI

brandon0921

I attempted the WAN to LAN prior to running the LAN to LAN, but I couldn't get the actiontec to pull an IP from the ASUS. I wonder if the switch is the culprit here, I know if seems very unlikely, but nothing else seems to add up. Unfortunately, I wired the whole house up with cat 6 for this project and rerouted the coax, running directly to the actiontec isn't an easy solution. Perhaps I should attempt the WAN to LAN again and back track all the way to connecting the actiontec to the ONT. Should be fun changing all static addresses again :-/
brandon0921

brandon0921

Apparently 2 out of the 5 boxes had their guides updated yesterday according to the people upstairs...very strange

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Something must have been working at least briefly for those two boxes to get guide updates.

Checking for guide updates is not the best way to determine if the STBs have connectivity. The best method is to go to the VOD menu and see if you can view a VOD title.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
You sure 255.255.255.255? Is that supposed to be for Subnet because that doesn't seem valid. What is the maximum number of users again? Trying to get a default reference. Thanks for the help.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

The default subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 (/24).

With a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, you can have 253 devices.