Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mikee

join:2012-12-21
Gloucester, ON
kudos:1

DSL Add ons?

Hey there does start have DSL add ons like TekSavvy?

I'm really thinking about getting 25/10 or 50/10 I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm currently on TSI cable but I really want to get 10 upload and cable wont be getting that for who knows how long without paying 100$ a month for 150/10 lol.

Any ways back on topic, does start have add ons for extra IPs like TekSavvy? if you do and have the same option as tsi as it says on their you can get:

30 2 IP Addresses $5.00 / month
29 6 IP Addresses $10.00 / month
28 14 IP Addresses $20.00 / month

By the way I'm guessing when it says 30 2 IP Addresses it means two will have complete ranges?

Scycotic

join:2012-12-10

30 probably denotes the subnet (/30), and 2 means it will provide 2 IP addresses. Makes sense, IIRC, /30 gives 4 IP addresses, but 1 is used for the gateway and 1 is for broadcast.

Same thing for the other /29 and /28 subnets.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to mikee

We don't typically do subnets on residential accounts without a particular reason (ie don't have a rate chart for it), but static IP's, yes. If you PM me I can set it up, $5/mo.

mikee

Gloucester, ON
reply to mikee

Well the thing is that I would like to be able to change my IP not have the same IP all the time. Like with cable I can simply change it in a few seconds. I've never used DSL before so I'm not sure on the process of changing IP's. I know I could use a VPN but rather not use one if I had the choice.

Thanks for the replies guys.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

you get a different IP every time you connect/disconnect from your PPPoE with DSL which is quite a bit easier to do compared to cable if that's what you actually want.

mikee

Gloucester, ON
reply to mikee

Yeah sounds great. I just now need to figure out if I can get the modem up to my room. Anyone know what kind of wire VDSL phone line uses?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by mikee:

Yeah sounds great. I just now need to figure out if I can get the modem up to my room. Anyone know what kind of wire VDSL phone line uses?

VDSL uses standard cat 3, however you can use cat 5, 5e or 6. As for getting the cable to where you need it you can use the cold air return, that's what I do for all my cables at home.

mikee

Gloucester, ON

What kind of line comes into the house and then into the modem?

Thanks for the fast reply.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'

join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Start Communicat..

said by mikee:

What kind of line comes into the house and then into the modem?

Thanks for the fast reply.

it's just using a regular phone line.

rogersmogers

@start.ca
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

Well the thing is that I would like to be able to change my IP not have the same IP all the time. Like with cable I can simply change it in a few seconds. I've never used DSL before so I'm not sure on the process of changing IP's. I know I could use a VPN but rather not use one if I had the choice.

I hope you realize changing your IP does nothing. ISP's log everything so they know which IP"s you have so if they are ever required to give that info it will all add up to you and your ever changing IP's. Heck it may look worse for you because you change IPs so often that they will suspect you are doing something you shouldn't be.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to mikee

said by mikee:

To change your IP on DSL just reboot your modem and you will get a new IP address unless you have a static IP set by the ISP.

mikee

Gloucester, ON
reply to rogersmogers

lol, I don't even torrent or do anything illegally so that's not the problem i just want to be able to change ip if needed. That was my only concern.

Thanks I will be getting 25/10 tonight or tomorrow just going to run a line up to my room before I order I want to have everything ready just incase lol. Thanks all!

MFido

join:2012-10-19
kudos:2
reply to rocca

said by rocca:

We don't typically do subnets on residential accounts without a particular reason (ie don't have a rate chart for it), but static IP's, yes. If you PM me I can set it up, $5/mo.

Hi Peter, is the static IP for resi $5 or $10?

Is it still $10 for biz?

Thanks,

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23

Technically still $10/mo, but if you PM me I'll take care of you.