how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Calculata

join:2009-05-04
reply to tmc8080

Other details about bump up

1. I can't confirm the time frame. That is one thing about the info I could not get any specific details on when it would be released.

2. The reason the word "BOOST" is being removed is due to how the brand "Optimum Boost" looks and is promoted. The word "BOOST" sounds like it is temporary or like a NOS Boost in fast and furious.

3. I cannot confirm the pricing. Pricing is subject to change. From the impression I received, the pricing would be cheaper or reasonable.

Seeing as the company removed the 300 dollar ultra install charge, I would assume the "Ultra 50" tier will be the same price [14.95]or cheaper; [10.95] or [5.95].

4. Since the pricing for TV has changed, you can get all services for less than 140 with a set top box or two without promotion depending on taxes or just get a bunch of boxes, with TV and OO only.
Most people still think anything over a 100 dollars is not a deal though since promos are ongoing.

For example, Optimum Economy + OOL + OV + extra stuff
For example, Broadcast basic + X amount of boxes + YOUTUBE + HULU+ NETFLIX + OOL ULTRA 50

Promotions are still available, but most people will still have the option to keep all services instead of removing 1 or 2 at regular prices.

5. Optimum rewards lost the free movie Tuesday feature. They are trying to find an alternative feature they can highlight as a universal "thing" that everyone can use. Although the rewards still provides you with a bunch of different discounts.

DAOWAce

join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ
reply to Calculata

Re: This is confirmed

said by Calculata:

OOL Boost Plus will go from 50/8 to 50/25.

Oh shit.

This is going to make streaming SO much easier. With my quality settings I've been pushing near the limits of 8Mbps, sometimes struggling with latency issues depending on the game.

25Mbps is just, unreal.

Now to hope NJ (or at least my area) gets it soon. I can wait until July 1st, but the time after, uggh.

TellMePlease

@optonline.net

said by DAOWAce:

said by Calculata:

OOL Boost Plus will go from 50/8 to 50/25.

Oh shit.

This is going to make streaming SO much easier. With my quality settings I've been pushing near the limits of 8Mbps, sometimes struggling with latency issues depending on the game.

25Mbps is just, unreal.

Now to hope NJ (or at least my area) gets it soon. I can wait until July 1st, but the time after, uggh.

I, for one, will not believe it until I actually see it.

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
reply to BBy6

Re: Optimum online free upload speed upgrade

said by BBy6:

These are the new tiers:

Standard OOL - 15/5
Ultra50 (formally Boost+) - 50/25
Ultra101 (formally Ultra) - 101/35

Regular Boost is going away.

Is Boost being eliminated completely and they'll up/downgrade existing Boost customers to other speeds? If they upgrade them, I assume there will be an increase in price?

Or are they only eliminating Boost going forward and existing customers will stay at the same speed/pricing?

Rekrul

join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT
reply to limegrass69

said by limegrass69:

So it sounds like if you're on legacy Boost, maybe they are going to force you onto the new Ultra 50 at the appropriate fee? Similar to what they are doing on the video tiers?

I just called Cablevision in CT and after checking, I was told that legacy Boost users will keep the same speed and price as long as they don't make any changes to the internet portion of their service. However if you do upgrade or downgrade your service, you won't have the option of switching back to Boost.

Of course, the unsaid part is "for now...". Eventually I'm sure that Cablevision will force Boost users to switch to other tiers. I expect this to be a year or two down the road. That's the way it always goes with "legacy" services. At first the company claims you can keep it and then a couple years down the road, they decide that it's too much trouble to continue supporting and force the users to switch.

Booooost

@optonline.net

said by Rekrul:

I just called Cablevision in CT and after checking, I was told that legacy Boost users will keep the same speed and price as long as they don't make any changes to the internet portion of their service. However if you do upgrade or downgrade your service, you won't have the option of switching back to Boost.

Of course, the unsaid part is "for now...".

Just like we were told we could stay on Family Cable.

mass PL

@optonline.net

whats the price difference between boost classic and the new 50/25 plan?

i have classic now, not sure what it costs, but wouldnt mind upgrading if the cost difference is only $5 or $10.

UnknownBeing

join:2012-12-30
Hopewell Junction, NY

I believe it's only $5 extra.

serge666

join:2004-06-07
Little Falls, NJ
reply to T0ny

So I see the news on the front page about the boost+ changes but.......:

can someone explain this??

O.o I'm on Boost+ not Ultra101 and I already rebooted. I'm on Cablevison Oakland NJ.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

If that was consistent (say you posted 10 of them in a row) then you'd be onto something and something SWEET I might add.

Just did a test here in CT and getting standard Boost+ speeds so July 1st might be the lucky day afterall.

serge666

Little Falls, NJ

4 edits
reply to T0ny

ok this is getting ridiculous.....wow
I live in West Paterson so these areas are in distance order:

Secaucus:

Plainfield:

Scranton PA:

Hartford CT:

Baltimore MD:

Pittsburgh PA:

as a final test I downloaded a Linux DVD with a download manager here's the result:
»www.dropbox.com/s/b82hagku1exfqx···est.jpeg

the DL speed is at the right. it bounced around 20MB/s so yea...I have 200mb down and 8mb up. O.O

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA

Give one of the BBR tests a try »/speedtests

serge666

Little Falls, NJ

I tryied the one from Parsippany, it tops out at 80MB down 8MB up and I cant run the flash based tests, it crashes the browser LOL.

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY
reply to serge666

*jaw drops* @serge666 speed tests.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to T0ny

They might be tweaking/testing the scripts needed to send down via tftp. I doubt that 50 will become ~120 or ~150 (140 - 200 with FLUFF). Quite a change if they do though.

Verizon wouldn't take kindly to that probably begin offering even faster speeds.

BTW, if speeds go above 100mbits your ROUTER & computer must have gigabit OR ELSE you won't see speeds above 100 megabits due to lan port rate. Lots of people will finally have to break down & buy a gigabit router..

10/100 routers instantly become obsolete when your ISP sends you more than 100 as an upgrade.

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Well slap me silly! .....

I would probably "download the internet" before they realize their mistake and fix you up. LOL. That's some SERIOUS juice flowing down your pipes!

I 5Ghz N ready for those speeds but I might need to go get that AC router I was looking at a already to make sure I can pump it all. I get about 220-250Mbps now over WLAN - 1Gbps LAN (Linksys E4200 should do about 900Mbps routing on the stock firmware as well).

Seems the CPU in this router though is slowing me down though so time to check out options!

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to serge666

What modem do you have?

andrewc2

join:2011-06-05
Matamoras, PA
reply to SHoTTa35

said by SHoTTa35 :

I would probably "download the internet"

Seriously that's what I would be doing! Download everything! (that's legal) :P

ameridian

join:2013-06-23
Paterson, NJ
reply to serge666

So a DL speed of 227 Mb/s is only faster than 91% of the US while 59 Mb/s is faster than 89% of the US? Something is bogus here.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2792151709.png

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ

said by ameridian:

So a DL speed of 227 Mb/s is only faster than 91% of the US while 59 Mb/s is faster than 89% of the US? Something is bogus here.

Agreed. I have Ultra, faster then 96% of US.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2792543874.png

flatline_

join:2003-01-18
reply to ameridian

Good catch. lol!

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to ameridian

said by ameridian:

I think it factors in upload speed too.

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless
reply to T0ny

I'm still waiting for mine!

Maybe it will hit a hundred on a Sunday after the upgrade.

serge666

Little Falls, NJ
reply to Rojo

it`s an Arris

serge666

Little Falls, NJ
reply to T0ny

here it is again at 12:49AM

psilocybin

join:2007-07-19
Monroe, NY

>i_want_to_believe.jpg

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY
reply to T0ny

This is on Boost+ from a couple months ago

Rojo

New York, NY

And what modem do you have?

UnknownBeing

Hopewell Junction, NY

1 recommendation

Arris too

Rojo

New York, NY

Yep, seems that's the way to go all right.