spc
Search similar:

uniqs

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA

Anon

[LA] PS3 vs XBOX 360 vs Cox speedtest with PC

Why is the PS3 speed test so slow compaired to my real internet speed. It was at 17.5 down, 5.0 upfor a while, then tonight it fell to 7 down and 2 up. Is PSN unrealiable? Does XBOX have this problem?

My cox speedtest is 20.4 down and 20+ up on my PC,which is great.

CoxTech1
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA

CoxTech1

Can't speak for the xbox but I know the PS3 does speed test to Sony and server performance could be a limiting factor. The connection is still adequate so I've never given it a second thought.

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA

Anon

The bandwidth option in black ops 2 stil says I have over 3000 upload, even if PSN's test is lower.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357 to JeffinNOLA

Premium Member

to JeffinNOLA
Console speed tests are almost completely useless. Thats why the Xbox doesn't even have one. I think there only 3 servers for PSN and who knows where they are. Plus when it comes to gaming, its not through put you need to keep a eye on, its the oh so infamous lag. Also your probably going through your router, and its probably being Proxy through PSN. Also it seems like its doing a 30 second capacity test, so it won't be as sensitive to speedboost like a PC test site like speedtest.net is giving you, so your already probably starting with slightly exaggerated data from your PC test as comparison.

Here is the better question. What is playing like?

Also on a site note, there is a known bug with certain Dlink routers and wireless connections to Xbox 360 Slim (Slim only). Just FYI

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA

Anon

I have an linksys E4200 router with the PS3 DMZ'ed. Will one of their new faster routers make any difference? I'm wired so I think I'm getting the most I can get out of the PS3 anyway. I don't want to waste 199.99 just to find out.

Optimus2357
Premium Member
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI

Optimus2357

Premium Member

No, you will likely NOT see any increase of performance of that specific test in OP by buying a new router. Other then that test, were you having any performance issues with one of the consoles? That test is what you might call a "false negative" meaning it gives you a negative result that shows a problem where there is possibly none.

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA

Anon

If PS3 starts charging for online play like they PS4, they better get more servers. I'm not going to pay for something that isn't improved.
JeffinNOLA

JeffinNOLA to Optimus2357

Anon

to Optimus2357
The PS3 network test is so unrealiable that it gives me 17/5, then 5/1.5 the next time. When I test through the PS3 browser, I get much better results. Almost what I get on my PC.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

lilstone87

said by JeffinNOLA :

The PS3 network test is so unrealiable that it gives me 17/5, then 5/1.5 the next time. When I test through the PS3 browser, I get much better results. Almost what I get on my PC.

Really if you expect accurate results from a PS3 speedtest, your wrong to begin with. As most people know speedtest results vary alot from server to server, and no one knows the exact location of the server Sony is using to test, and the load on it. Plus there are still current testing servers that struggle with speed's past 50mbps down.

One thing that both Sony, and Microsoft need to improve on with there new consoles is downloading speed's DLC, and such. I have downloaded many things on both consoles, and there seems to be a max of about 3MB's on downloads. I don't know if this is server issue's by Sony, and Microsoft, or was a system limit itself. But with the new consoles, I don't see anything system side that could limit faster download speed's. So it is a matter of will Sony, and Microsoft have better server's to supply faster download's to everyone.

As for Sony having a better PSN service on PS4, it should be. Which I am sure they expect, knowing they are charging for multiplayer on PS4. Sony has been big on stating there system is for gamer's, and they know online play is a big part of it now a days. Which there is a very big chance they knew this, and they knew they would need to charge for online play to offer the better service we all expect.

Everyone has to understand with the PS3, online was free. Which made maintaining it a cost out of Sony's pocket, and I am sure there was a set amount they had for running the service on there cost. Now they will have a lot more money to maintain the service, and will easily double/triple the work force to run PSN service's on the PS4.

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA

Anon

I would play for PS+ if it mean great service on the PS3 and PS4. If it means getting moreservers like XBOX is starting to do, I don't mind. Hopefully MS's new 300,000 servers isn't just for testing and "the cloud". I want some of of for multiplayer gaming. I could care less about "the cloud" among other things.
aaron1312
join:2012-10-10
Phoenix, AZ

aaron1312 to JeffinNOLA

to JeffinNOLA
Another thing to keep in mind too with the PS3 is that it is limited to Wireless-G, so if you have it a few rooms away from your broadcasting modem/router, then it's going to have a difficult time with the tests. I'm on a 60 Mbps connection and my PS3 normally sees 1.5-3.0 Mbps if I m lucky. Netflix was horrible on it so I just bought a Roku after my PS3 was banned from the PSN.
mkenny28
join:2013-04-08
New Orleans, LA

mkenny28

His PS3 is wired.

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA

Anon

Its wired all the way for me except for one laptop. I agree it has to do with PS3 servers more than anyone's connection.
JeffinNOLA

JeffinNOLA to JeffinNOLA

Anon

to JeffinNOLA
PS: Cox upgrades are still working great.

JeffinNOLA

JeffinNOLA to JeffinNOLA

Anon

to JeffinNOLA
I have a 23 ping and no packet loss. No trace route issues at all. PSN test says it doesn't support fragmented packets. That just started after the 4.45 update which screwed up a few people's machines. That's BS. I tried a different router and cables. Same result. I know it's not Cox or my setup. PSN better shape up if they are to charge 50 a year.