spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rob1

join:2013-02-13

1 edit

Hughsnet Gen4 -Access home PC using IPv6 - Pingable - WORKS!

Just an FYI that I tested yesterday evening using IPv6 and a windows 7 home computer.

Setup:

Windows 7 plugged directly into H1000 - gets a IPv6
Ran ipconfig - got my IPV6 for the computer.
Setup a IPv6 tunnel using the free software at

»www.gogo6.com/freenet6/tunnelbroker

Ensure Windows Remote Desktop was active and the Windows 7 fireway allowed access for Remote Desktop.

Ran the client software from freenet6, entered the IPv6 address obtained as as described above and ran Remote Desktop client - bingo - access.

Tested from my Wireless Internet hub over 3G...also tested this morning from work.

Proformance is as excepted - Delay as expected for Sat.

ISSUE:

You need to run a IPv6 tunnel/broker for this to work. Not very practical for normal use.

Rob.

Finn

join:2012-07-03
Hamachi also works on Hughes, but like pretty much everything on Hughesnet, it isn't very practical.

JacksonTech

join:2013-06-01
United State
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to rob1
Indeed it does!

Only problem is getting a router to pass the IPV6 autoconfig messages along. to computers inside the network. Annoyingly, the IPv6 prefix seems to change over time, which means that setting up your own instance of radvd doesn't help very much. So you're limited to a tunnel (IPv4 traffic inside LAN) or IPv6 NAT (IPv6 everywhere).

And IPv6 NAT just feels...wrong.

Still, it's the closest thing to a public IP address we can get right now!

rob1

join:2013-02-13
Interesting...I can hit my PC running IPv6 but I can't hit the Linksys router which is IPv6 ready and has been given a IPv6 address from the HN1000....

Any ideas?

Cheers

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to rob1
I have a HN9000 and I am not able to pull a IPv6 address. What can I do?
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified