spc
uniqs
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to Kono

to Kono

Re: [BC] [SHAW] BB100, Torrents under 2MB/s, everything else OK

Generally the first reason is that not everyone has a wicked fast connection. The faster your connection, the lower the probability you can find things that can make the connection go full out.

I've seen torrent go full speed, but only on private trackers with plenty of seeds.

You're connection is so fast there might not be enough bandwidth in the swarm to upload to you the fast? You're reliant on the overall bandwidth available in the swarm, and how many other peers are leeching from it.

Kono
@shawcable.net

Kono

Anon

Well in regards to "low seeds, maybe they can't upload fast enough".

This has been going on for 8months, and I usually download popular, highly seeded torrents off popular sites. I have NEVER seen it go above 2MB/s. In fact, usually when it gets close to 1.9MB/s, it'll drop back down to 1MB/s lol.

I wonder if it is congestion at the node for my building, but I have yet to be able to fiddle and solve this issue on my end.

All this said, with the same torrent sites I use and the same router/modem/shaw plan I have, I used to at least get 5MB/s+ when downloading multiple (5+) at a time. Sometimes nearly maxing out my connection.

I'll probably ask Shaw about it, I've just been really lazy.

Darhole
Premium Member
join:2005-06-14
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole

Premium Member

said by Kono :

Well in regards to "low seeds, maybe they can't upload fast enough".

This has been going on for 8months, and I usually download popular, highly seeded torrents off popular sites. I have NEVER seen it go above 2MB/s. In fact, usually when it gets close to 1.9MB/s, it'll drop back down to 1MB/s lol.

I wonder if it is congestion at the node for my building, but I have yet to be able to fiddle and solve this issue on my end.

All this said, with the same torrent sites I use and the same router/modem/shaw plan I have, I used to at least get 5MB/s+ when downloading multiple (5+) at a time. Sometimes nearly maxing out my connection.

I'll probably ask Shaw about it, I've just been really lazy.

Yes, please call Shaw and ask them why the stuff you are pirating is downloading slow.. that will go over very well.

Make sure encryption is enabled, update your client, change your port and make sure its forwarded properly. For all other inquiries go to utorrents site or somewhere where pirating is allowed

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to Kono

Premium Member

to Kono
So you can max out your connection, but only when using multiple torrents? This will be your configuration issue, not Shaws

Check your bittorrent software to make sure you haven't set a 2 MB/s limit per torrent
18286719 (banned)
join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to Darhole

to Darhole
its called sharing, not pirating. thank you

Piracy is typically an act of robbery or criminal violence at sea.

Darhole
Premium Member
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole

Premium Member

pirating present participle of pi·rate (Verb)
Verb
Rob or plunder (a ship).
Use or reproduce (another's work) for profit without permission, usually in contravention of patent or copyright.

It's called pirating.

Also, those trackers you are using with 2000+ per torrent, I wouldn't call those private, anyone can get on them. Which is exactly why you are smart enough to post that you pirate on the same forum where you gave your home address in another thread.
KernelKurtz
join:2012-06-25

1 edit

KernelKurtz

I've posted this before - you can test for shaping.

»measurementlab.net/measu ··· ab-tools

If you are not being shaped, then it comes down to the configuration of your BT clients, and the trackers and swarms that you join.

If you are being shaped it comes down to only the configuration of your clients.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned) to Darhole

to Darhole
i was downloading a 19 gig movie series for my mom at the time so yes it was not a private tracker sorry that i want to maintain my high ratio, but i almost never download easily available files from private sources, i save my trackers for the hard to get stuff, or stuff that goes real slow

Darhole
Premium Member
Edmonton, AB
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite
Asus RT-AC87
Actiontec T3200M

Darhole

Premium Member

Even tho you are a twat, do all your downloading on at least semi-private places. We are by all accounts safe in Canada right now from prying eyes and lawsuits, but rest assured information is being gathered for a time when the ISP's budge and start giving our personal info out.
18286719 (banned)
Whistler, BC

18286719 (banned)

LOL
tlhIngan
join:2002-07-08
Richmond, BC

tlhIngan to Darhole

to Darhole
said by Darhole:

Even tho you are a twat, do all your downloading on at least semi-private places. We are by all accounts safe in Canada right now from prying eyes and lawsuits, but rest assured information is being gathered for a time when the ISP's budge and start giving our personal info out.

No longer. The Harper Government has made it possible for lawsuits to come north of the border, and in fact they've already started happening.

The only good thing is that it only costs $5000 max.

Darhole
Premium Member
Edmonton, AB

Darhole

Premium Member

All the more reason to try and keep your anonymity. Vpns, seedboxes, not posting your address on the same forum you freely admit pirating on, etc

parrelium
join:2005-07-31

parrelium to Darhole

to Darhole
pirating present participle of pi·rate (Verb)
Verb
Rob or plunder (a ship).
Use or reproduce (another's work) for profit without permission, usually in contravention of patent or copyright.

It's called pirating.

Yes, exactly.... for profit. So almost all of us just share.
gramboh
join:2004-01-22
Calgary, AB

gramboh

I'm having a similar issue as the OP. Usually only get 2-4MB/s on heavily seeded torrents, whereas in the past I would hit 10-12MB/s. I also very rarely seem to be able to seed/upload, again in the past with 100-120 active torrents I would seed 4-5GB/day, now I barely do 5GB in a week.

Example of slow speeds, these are on a tracker loaded with seedboxes:

Notes:
BB100 in Vancouver BC
Live in old house but coax was re-run last year when we moved in
Linksys 310N Gigabit router with Gigabit NIC on desktop (wired)
Speedtest.net does 80-100mb/s down and 5mb/s up consistently
These are the only two active torrents in my client during this test, and have been running for 20-30 min

Haven't bothered calling Shaw since I doubt there is anything tech support can do over the phone to help. Contemplating dropping to BB50 to save $10 a month.