All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Ownaginatios
join:2010-11-15
Scarborough, ON

Ownaginatios

Are you not allowed to use your own Sagemcom 2864 modem?

So I bought a used Sagemcom 2864 modem from a guy on Kijiji for $45. He said Bell made him buy it outright, and he'd since switched to Rogers and didn't need it anymore.

When I called Start to apply for the FTTN DSL service, they were confused saying that Bell only lets people rent those modems, and never buy them. There are tons of them for sale on Kijiji... so I dunno what's going on. I was told that I cannot use my own modem, and MUST rent a modem from them (apparently it's because of some agreement that they have with Bell).

So... what's the deal here? Anyone use their own modem with the FTTN service?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

As of right now Bell is not allowing "outside" modems to be used... You must purchase one from your internet provider.

This and other modem related issues are being debated in front of the CRTC... Bell are being pricks, no doubt.
Ownaginatios
join:2010-11-15
Scarborough, ON

Ownaginatios

But they won't know if I use this one instead of the one I'm renting from my ISP, right?

If that's the case, I'll make the one I purchased my "experimentation" modem where I'll try and enable bridging and all that other cool stuff :/

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

you'll be able to use it, but you'll still be forced to rent one off Bell/IISP so it makes it rather worthless.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

+1

It's a current Bell limitation and once there are other available modems supported that restriction should be removed.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Have you had any success with your modem tests rocca?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Sadly no, not yet. Still some stability issues with the Stingers.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by rocca:

Sadly no, not yet. Still some stability issues with the Stingers.

But you at least got sync on stingers, nice... I'm eagerly awaiting the final outcome.