Search similar:

uniqs
mlabate
join:2007-09-03
Bangor, PA

mlabate to alanisrox69

to alanisrox69

Re: [Phone] Federal Subscriber Line Charges - Wind Gap, PA

FCC complaint submitted, thanks for the link.
alanisrox69
join:2005-03-29

alanisrox69 to mlabate

to mlabate
Someone from the RCN VA office just called me, Yvonne, we spoke for several minutes.

She explained that there are two types of carriers (which was covered briefly before):
CLEC (Competitive local exchange carrier) - she said that is what RCN considers themselves
ILEC (Incumbent local exchange carrier) - such as Verizon/AT&T

The FSLC cap of $6.50 only applies to "ILEC"s per her. I do not have proof of this and she could not provide. Since RCN is CLEC they have the right per the FCC to charge more than $6.50 for that fee.

I said you know Yvonne, this is just a bogus fee. And she slipped and agreed.

She then went on to say that the fee was submitted by RCN to the FCC last year and then the FCC granted RCN allowance to charge $8.50.

Sounds like a bunch of malarkey ha.

I still want to dig more into the ILEC/CLEC thing and see if RCN is even allowed to charge a FSLC fee if they are CLEC.

Pacomartin
join:2013-03-18
Bethlehem, PA

Pacomartin

said by alanisrox69:

She explained that there are two types of carriers (which was covered briefly before):
CLEC (Competitive local exchange carrier) - she said that is what RCN considers themselves
ILEC (Incumbent local exchange carrier) - such as Verizon/AT&T

The FSLC cap of $6.50 only applies to "ILEC"s per her. I do not have proof of this and she could not provide. Since RCN is CLEC they have the right per the FCC to charge more than $6.50 for that fee.

SLC==Subscriber Line Charges

CLEC's are also called non-incumbent LECs. CLEC SLC rates are not capped in the same manner as ILEC SLCs.

So while Yvonne is telling you the truth, what she didn't mention is that CLEC's are also free to not charge a Subscriber Line Charge. It is optional for them.

If they do choose to charge a SLC they must allocate those revenues to the interstate jurisdiction, for reporting purposes, in a manner that is consistent with their supporting books of account and records.

So basically RCN has to go to the Fcc to show that according to their internal bookkeeping, they are doing their accounting correctly. Then the Fcc gives them permission to fool the customer into thinking that a tax went up.

=======================
FCC SUBSCRIBER LINE CHARGE (SLC)
a. Description: The FCC instituted this charge as it developed its access charge regime after the break-up of AT&T in 1984, and caps the maximum price that a company may charge. This is not a government tax or surcharge, and it does not end up in the government's treasury. The SLC recovers some of the costs of the local network formerly recovered through interstate toll charges. While only ILECs are required to collect the SLC, the FCC explicitly affirmed the right of CLECs to impose a SLC on their customers. Thus, CLEC SLC rates are not capped in the same manner as ILEC SLCs.

b. Rate or Range of Rates: Subscriber Line Charge (SLC) for a primary residential line and a single-line business is capped at $6.50 per month per line. The cap for non-primary residential lines is $7.00 per month per line. Only one residential line is deemed to be the primary line. The cap of $9.20 per month applies to multi-line business users. CLECs are not required to apply these rates.

c. What it is applied to: This surcharge is a flat fee. The surcharge required to be collected by the service supplier shall be added to and stated separately in its billings to the customer. All taxes and surcharges apply to this charge.

d. Statutory Authority: Interstate Charge Approved by FCC under ยง 47 USC 201, Case # CC 80-286.
»www3.dps.ny.gov/W/PSCWeb ··· Document