spc
Search similar:

uniqs

qpp401
join:2003-11-01

qpp401

vpn service recommendations

Hi all,
Any BB fans here subscribing BB15 this year?

Anyone has good experience with:
»www.hidemyass.com/vpn/

Are there any geographic restrictions for accessing Big Brother live Feeds content?

Yes, Big Brother Live Feeds may be accessed in only the United States including Hawaii, Alaska and the Virgin Islands.

»cbsi.secure.force.com/CB ··· fs=SFS_3

fluffybunny
@teksavvy.com

fluffybunny

Anon

use mullvad.net instead. fast and $5/mo. gives nearly 90% throughput on teksavvy with torrents.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to qpp401

MVM

to qpp401
Seems to be five euros (about $7 after conversion and fees), and routes all your traffic through Europe?

A VPN in the US is a lot more useful, since it lets you use US things like Netflix USA or Hulu or whatnot.
pldube
join:2011-06-11
canada

pldube to qpp401

to qpp401
Try »tunlr.net/

theboyk
join:2004-10-04
Toronto, ON

theboyk to qpp401

to qpp401
»www.privateinternetaccess.com

I get full speeds on torrents. Nice thing is, they allow for three simultaneous connections. For me, this was huge as I have my router set up and connected to two different VPN locations—USA and Amsterdam—and each VPN location is allotted a limited internal IP range. So, if I connect to my router using an IP within range A, I'm on the Amsterdam VPN, if I connect to an IP in range B, I'm on the USA VPN (great for media drives like the Apple TV for accessing Hulu Plus, Netflix [US library] etc.), and if I connect to the router via IP range C, I'm just on my naked TSI connection.

And in my testing over the last year, speeds via a naked connection vs Amsterdam VPN connection, speeds are pretty much the same. The only thing I've noticed is connecting to peers takes slightly more time (but, we're talking slightly, not really even worth thinking about as, once the connections are made, it's all good).

Also to note—they don't keep logs. The only records they keep are financial. So, if you use a tormail.org email address and a Vanilla MasterCard, you'll make it pretty hard to trace back to you. And each VPN connection IP (external) is a shared IP, so tracing an IP back to a single person (even if they did keep logs) would be extremely difficult.

(All that said—there's no way to be 100% untraceable, but if you make it really hard, my guess is, unless you're doing something *really bad*, anyone trying to snoop on you will move on to any easier trace/snoop. Just my opinion though.)
theboyk

theboyk to qpp401

to qpp401
said by qpp401:

Anyone has good experience with:
»www.hidemyass.com/vpn/

HMA is decent, but they're expensive depending on the package you want. And, though they offer "torrent" packages, I'd read their TOS when it comes to torrents.
DjStarX
join:2013-04-10
Saint-Laurent, QC

DjStarX to qpp401

to qpp401
+1 for »www.privateinternetaccess.com

I purchased 1 yr for about 50$ (less then 5 $ a month) and its pretty fast, and secure . got it running on my router and all my devices can use it for Netflix us , hulu & more . & switch gateway to the UK or France depending on the content I wanna watch .

Shikomu
join:2007-11-16
Ontario

Shikomu to theboyk

to theboyk
Be carefull more Private trackers are banning PIA because of the shared IP addressing. I use PIA but really just for the Proxy Server you get with it.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk

said by Shikomu:

Be carefull more Private trackers are banning PIA because of the shared IP addressing. I use PIA but really just for the Proxy Server you get with it.

Yea, I can totally understand/see that happening. Luckily, for me (for now), none of my private trackers have banned PIA yet. But, something to definitely think about...

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Seems to be five euros (about $7 after conversion and fees), and routes all your traffic through Europe?

A VPN in the US is a lot more useful, since it lets you use US things like Netflix USA or Hulu or whatnot.

Not if you care about your privacy...Stay away from U.S based privacy services!!

qpp401

qpp401

Thanks for all the great info.

Anyone have experience with »strongvpn.com/strong_vpn ··· nada.php
Teknohe
join:2010-08-06
Etobicoke, ON

Teknohe

said by qpp401:

StrongVPN is typically very quick, however they will quickly hand out your personal information if anyone asks for it.

I personally use: »www.astrill.com/
gob919
join:2012-02-03
Canada

gob919 to qpp401

to qpp401
I've no clue how it works, but I use the Mediahint add on for Firefox. It's available for Google as well. I watch the UK and US and disable the add on when I'm not using it.

KC_
join:2013-06-10
Mississauga, ON

KC_ to qpp401

to qpp401
been using HMA for quite a while now, cheaper if you pay up for a year, no issues at all, servers all over the world, European streaming pretty decent, two simultaneous connections allowed.
Good in my book.

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to qpp401

to qpp401
said by qpp401:

Decent service but:

- They will readily hand over info (but if your activities are above board, who cares)
- They allow ONE connection at a time, which is a big minus

I switched to PIA for point 2 (keeping point 1 in mind)
RLBL

RLBL to theboyk

to theboyk
said by theboyk:

»www.privateinternetaccess.com

I get full speeds on torrents. Nice thing is, they allow for three simultaneous connections. For me, this was huge as I have my router set up and connected to two different VPN locations—USA and Amsterdam—and each VPN location is allotted a limited internal IP range. So, if I connect to my router using an IP within range A, I'm on the Amsterdam VPN, if I connect to an IP in range B, I'm on the USA VPN (great for media drives like the Apple TV for accessing Hulu Plus, Netflix [US library] etc.), and if I connect to the router via IP range C, I'm just on my naked TSI connection.

I never thought about doing anything like this... I would be interested in knowing how you configured this on your router (or do you have to reconfigure your router when you which to change locations... that I can do of course... I was intrigued and the possibility of setting up something permanent and automatic.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to qpp401

Premium Member

to qpp401
I'm using boxvpn but finding that speed to European based endpoints is not that strong but anything in NA is great.

theboyk
Toronto, ON

theboyk to RLBL

to RLBL
said by RLBL:

I never thought about doing anything like this... I would be interested in knowing how you configured this on your router (or do you have to reconfigure your router when you which to change locations... that I can do of course... I was intrigued and the possibility of setting up something permanent and automatic.

Well, basically, with the right router (I've set this system up a few times now and I've always used Asus RT-N16s for it—though, it's only a single band router, so if you need a dual band, I just got an RT-N66U at work, and it should work too), software (flash the router with Tomato USB) and some basic scripting (on the router), you can configure the router to run your main (naked) connection, and also connect to two separate/simultaneous OpenVPN connections via the OpenVPN client (though, I've recently dropped back to a single VPN connection as I only had one computer using the Amsterdam connection, so just using a local VPN on the machine itself now). And the script is where you allot your various IP ranges to designate which VPN connection (or no VPN connection) you're connected to.

Once this is running, it's permanent and automatic and the only change you need to make to change locations is changing the IP address of your device. For example, if I want my Apple TV to utilize the Netflix Canada library, I set it the ATV to the IP address 192.168.X.50 (which, via the script, is part of the IP range that uses the naked internet connection), and then, when I want to connect to the Netflix USA library, I set it to use IP 192.168.X.60 (which, via the script, is part of the IP range that uses the USA VPN connection).

Really, the only reason I did this was because there's no VPN client for the 2nd & 3rd generation Apple TV, so it was, for me, and ideal solution to solve this (and at the same time, it allow me to utilize a single VOPN connection across more devices versus running a VPN connection on a single device itself).

Jeffer71
join:2008-09-13
Carrying Place, ON

Jeffer71 to qpp401

to qpp401
I'd stay away from Hidemyass, I don't trust them and a whole lot of other people don't either. If you take your privacy serious like I do take a giant pass. Also go take a peak at their forums and see what a mess their support is.

I've been using Bolehvpn for years now, torrent friendly, extremely fast support and speeds with the owners being on the front lines and always voted as one of the top VPN services by credible sources.

Best of luck with your choice!

RLBL
join:2012-11-26
Gloucester, ON

RLBL to theboyk

to theboyk
Thanks for the info... I have been looking for an excuse to use a router with OpenVPN support.

I currently have a flashed DLINK (615) router with DD-WRT, but it does not support Open (I am using PPTP)

My solution is working (gateway running main connection, and when I need a US VPN I either plug into the DDWRT router, or run the VPN on the individual computers)

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to qpp401

Premium Member

to qpp401
Unotelly. Tell them rjbrake sent you.

qpp401

qpp401 to theboyk

to theboyk
Thank you all for the great choices.
I've chosen PIA for now.
So far, speed test comes back with a little speed reduction.
with PIA and DSLPRO6, speed test average 4.9, it's 5.2 naked.

US east seems to have the best ping. Does anyone know which US server is the fastest?

Optional
join:2012-02-26
Mississauga, ON

Optional to qpp401

to qpp401
BTGuard has served me well. I don't even torrent but all this mess lately makes me value my privacy.

No speed decreases that I've noticed. maybe a few mbps on the download side but meh.

PunkChildP
Premium Member
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON

PunkChildP to pldube

Premium Member

to pldube
+1
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to qpp401

Premium Member

to qpp401
Toronto-based
»www.surfeasy.com/
SurfEasy’s provided a 20% discount code for all redditors, good until July 15th. Just use promo code bacon20

Micheal Geist seems to have some affiliation
»www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/co ··· _at_the/

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to qpp401

Premium Member

to qpp401
Unotelly works for Netflix, Hulu etc without the need for VPN (although they have one of those too if you want it.)