dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
scottp99
join:2010-12-11

scottp99

[Help] Galaxy S4 Stock Android installation?

I have my Galaxy S4 being ordered from a GSM shop here in Europe but my question is, what do I do to get the stock Android on there once I have the phone? Do I need to do the whole ROOTING and the ClockWorkMod flashing ROM process? That was a huge pain for me and failed when I attempted to install 4.2.2 on my Motorola DEFY phone...I sure hope I wont have to do that process again.

Hopefully adding the stock Android would be as simple as just installing from the Google Play store as I once recall from reading at other forums.

Thanks!

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

No, you would have to root the phone first then install a custom recovery. If you have the Snapdragon-based phone you can run Motochopper to get root.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to scottp99

Premium Member

to scottp99
looks like the Google version isn't international since it only runs on tmobile and att

»www.theverge.com/2013/5/ ··· -io-2013

closest thing to stock android would probably be cyanogenmod, you'll have to root and install custom recovery then flash the ROM.
scottp99
join:2010-12-11

scottp99

What if I don't? Will the phone be not functioning at all?
I just hate it when I have to do these flash ROM stuff. First off, I'm scared to do it, and secondly, its very risky even though should have a backup recovery ROM or image from previously.

I am not doing this. Sorry.

Many things can go wrong. I read many issues on other forums regarding flashing, updating ROMs...I am not an expert on this.

Thanks

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to scottp99

Premium Member

to scottp99
For awhile another ASUS was first with the Tegra 3 or a Quad core on the Transformers...

I am really surprised how well the Tegra 3 does at high speed multi tasking HS DL at the same time HD video play back.

Yet these Sammy devices are suffering.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to scottp99

Premium Member

to scottp99
no you'll just be stuck with the version of Android , Samsung gives you and touchwiz on top.
mromero

mromero to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
*runs out of this thread before my head explodes*
84998296 (banned)
join:2013-05-06

84998296 (banned) to scottp99

to scottp99
Please visit this link...xda-developers.com/android/root-for-samsung-galaxy-s4-works-across-multiple-carriers/

I hope it will help you.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to scottp99

MVM

to scottp99
said by scottp99:

I just hate it when I have to do these flash ROM stuff.

You don't have to.

It sounds like the stock TouchWiz setup is ideal for a user like yourself....
Expand your moderator at work
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to mromero

to mromero

Re: [Help] Galaxy S4 Stock Android installation?

said by mromero:

looks like the Google version isn't international since it only runs on tmobile and att

»www.theverge.com/2013/5/ ··· -io-2013

closest thing to stock android would probably be cyanogenmod, you'll have to root and install custom recovery then flash the ROM.

it is International in the sense that it has all the frequencies that GSM providers worldwide currently use....so bringing and using this if you travel to Asia or Europe will work...

Tmobile's S4 is the same unit with all the pentaband frequency

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
said by mromero:

*runs out of this thread before my head explodes*

Made out of bubble gum is it?

Much more to potentially worry about with the S4... the air swipe and eye scroll means the front cam is always active by default... so potentially a mal ware app to record you likely would not have to ask for special permission as it is a normal function.... not sure about you but I'd find that worrisome.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Hayward0:

Much more to potentially worry about with the S4... the air swipe and eye scroll means the front cam is always active by default... so potentially a mal ware app to record you likely would not have to ask for special permission as it is a normal function.... not sure about you but I'd find that worrisome.

S4's air swipe and eye scroll isn't run by the front facing camera...it's not even on by default...

However, I do understand your potential security concern...that's why people need only to download apps from google play and make sure to have anti virus running...the included lookout app on the phone works really great...

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

S4's air swipe and eye scroll isn't run by the front facing camera...it's not even on by default...

However, I do understand your potential security concern...

OK then how is it working if not by the camera? And OK maybe not by default but you cool not thinking about it enable it, it is.

And just getting 4.2 Android with face unlock but Android being permission honest (vs Apple never even mentioned) also said much more less secure than pin or pattern lock... just a cool thing with potentionally big security issues.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

medbuyer

said by Hayward0:

said by medbuyer:

However, I do understand your potential security concern...

OK then how is it working if not by the camera? And OK maybe not by default but you cool not thinking about it enable it, it is.

it's the sensors just beside the front cam....some say it's an IR sensor, some say it's a proximity sensor...

»stackoverflow.com/questi ··· gestures

see the sensors here...
»theandroidphonereview.bl ··· -s4.html front cam is the one to the right most...

that's actually the first thing that I looked for...turns out I need to enable it first and turn on those sensors...

I did disable it as I don't use it....

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

it's the sensors just beside the front cam....some say it's an IR sensor, some say it's a proximity sensor...

that's actually the first thing that I looked for...turns out I need to enable it first and turn on those sensors...

I did disable it as I don't use it....

Well ya know IR sensor still says camera (and enabled default permissions to it)... proximity maybe new iteration of a the Theremin principle but I would still say camera focus feed back

PS un-rooted glad you can opt out of it.

And good for you saying no thank you to all that... cool features but scary backside.

Though nothing to say in the future they can't Force it ON if you don't go custom ROM

And Google may try to go the absolute Apple iDevice crap, but that is you don;t allow lock Android is open source Linux

Man don't but I always do look ant new permission (Apple never even tells you) Yeah NO ESPN Sports score has no reason to see m contacts and other BS they have no business in... so no will never be upgraded. Stops working I don't care I don't need it that much
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Hayward0:

Well ya know IR sensor still says camera (and enabled default permissions to it)... proximity maybe new iteration of a the Theremin principle but I would still say camera focus feed back

IR and or proximity sensors work differently from cameras....

We have a lot of proximity sensors in our manufacturing company being used in a lot of cnc machines mainly for tool / part breakage detection.

ID's that give us access to the bldg. by swiping it etc....