KoRnGtL15
Premium
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:1

1 edit

[HSI] 8 channel downstream bonding live in Grants Pass, OR

Click for full size
Finally! Looks like this will fix the speed problems. True test will be tonight. Got my new modem just in time. I knew it was coming real soon. Internet was down most of the night from 12:00 a.m. on.

tscotty
Premium
join:2005-07-04
Saint Charles, MO
Thank you for sharing the information. I look forward to when 8 channels comes to my area.

Ryan818

join:2006-12-14
Medford, OR

1 edit
reply to KoRnGtL15
Nice to see you have 8 channel bonding in your area. My modem still has the 1.0.6.8 firmware and the 4 channel bonding on downstream. I am waiting on Charter to upgrade the node which they say could take as long as 6 months. I will be shocked if I see 8 channel bonding anytime soon given their very poor track record of following through with things. Enjoy the fast speeds again and hopefully they stay that way.

Oh one other thing I might add. If you ever file a BBB complaint with Charter they will gladly just tell you they can't provide an ample service to their customers nor can they provide an estimate for repairs to their pathetic network. Their response to me was "you are free to go elsewhere if you want as we can't really help you". That is the response I got from corporate when they closed my complaint out. I have received a 50% credit for the last few months but that has now ended. So my advice is if you have another provider in your area walk away from Charter at all costs.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
I think Medford got it as well. You just need that firmware for it will bond to 8 channels.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
Well I guess I will just have to keep waiting. No sign of any firmware push since I connected up my modem almost 3 weeks ago. I am beginning to think swapping over to a Charter modem will make life easier in the future. I may have a buyer for my new modem anyway so I won't be out any money. With all the node issues in my area, 8 channel bonding won't be here anytime soon. My neighbor next door has a 6141 from Charter and he doesn't have 8 channel downstream. Charter is telling me the head end on our node is a huge mess and could take months to get engineering to approve a plan to fix the issues. You really lucked out getting your issues resolved so fast.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
Do you happen to know what the version number your neighbor has? If it is 1.0.6.6 and no bonding yet. They must not be setup yet in the area. Unless they need to reboot their modem. I had to do that with mine. It 110% fixed the speed issues. I hit 100mb all evening. Even in the critical peak hours where it would drop down to 2-4mb.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
Yes I verified that he is using 1.0.6.6. He has rebooted and still 4 channel bonding. As I have stated in my previous posts our neighborhood here in west Medford has serious issues and Charter is aware of it. Unfortunately for all of us we are going to have to wait months for them to fix the problem. They have told me they can't resolve it in a timely manner nor promise to get it to work in the near future. The CSR said she is very sorry but hey they don't want to make any promises they can't keep. I understand, but that really is not how a business should be run. I am stuck with the service they provide at the moment, which at night it like DSL speeds. I am so used to it by now I just live with the slowness.

KoRnGtL15
Premium
Grants Pass, OR
That stinks. I feel for you and know exactly what you are going through. Mine was not a quick fix like you think. We have had poor speed issues for 6+ months. They just did not want to fix it until they really had to. And I assume. Receive many more complaints in my area. It was partially my fault for not raising some hell months ago when this first started. I had just assumed Charter was upgrading or fixing things. Which usually takes them a long time. Remember the tech. I have been working with. He even told me the part they had ordered and needed was big time money. Not my problem though and they have the money. But, like I said. They held off as long as they could until they had to fix it.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
reply to KoRnGtL15
Good to know. Which Cable modem do you have? I have a Motorola SB6121 and still see 4 downstream channels bonded.

Hopefully, they will start bonding upstream channels soon and offer faster upload speeds!

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI
You understand that the 6121 is only capable of 4 downstreams, right?

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
said by passerby:

You understand that the 6121 is only capable of 4 downstreams, right?

Well I do now.:) Well it seems that Charter may not be allowing me to use my modem for much longer anyway: »Re: [HSI] Motorola SB6141 latest firmware version?

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by crazyk4952:

Well I do now.:) Well it seems that Charter may not be allowing me to use my modem for much longer anyway:

You do realize that is bunk. The SB6121 is not only Docsis 3.0 compliant it's one that Charter itself uses. The people forcing to change are those that only have Docsis 2.0 or older modems or some weird off brand. It only makes sense that Charter would like as few modems to deal with as possible. As well as not having to support old technology like Docsis 2.0

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
reply to KoRnGtL15
wrong. It just needs to be enabled on their end, and any modem that can bond 8 channels will do so. The motorola SB6141 can bond 8 channels on the stock, original firmware.

Ryan818

Medford, OR
reply to KoRnGtL15
I always love it when my download is almost equal to my upload speed. Another typical night in Medford, OR. Pretty sad at best.

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2170436041.png

DaEnigma

join:2004-11-26
Hood River, OR
said by Ryan818:

I always love it when my download is almost equal to my upload speed. Another typical night in Medford, OR. Pretty sad at best.

»speedtest.ookla.com/result/2170436041.png

That is utter BS, no way in hell should that be alright and to be paying for that is crazy...

That is like having your water service throttled to 5-15% of your normal pressure at night just because they refuse to upgrade the service pipes in the area. Yet they do not give you a 85-95% discount for the trouble, and keep on collecting without upgrading/maintaining the current infrastructure.