join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Zenit_IIfx

MVM

to Zenit_IIfx

[Connectivity] Re: Help measure the global Internet!

said by Zenit_IIfx:

Anyone have any pointers on how I should set it up beyond the stock settings?

So far I have not tried anything beyond my initial setup.

Physical connection with ASUS router.

Logical connection in router map.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
It's pretty much plug and play.
The one suggestion is to go online to your page and slightly adjust (a few blocks to a mile) your mapped location for privacy purposes, the small adjustment shouldn't effect anyone's observations of your data point, but keeps you from advertising world wide, where your front door is EXACTLY.
changing to a nearby park or shopping center works well.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by tshirt:

The one suggestion is to go online to your page and slightly adjust (a few blocks to a mile) your mapped location for privacy purposes, the small adjustment shouldn't effect anyone's observations of your data point, but keeps you from advertising world wide, where your front door is EXACTLY.
changing to a nearby park or shopping center works well.

Interesting that your probe was mapped to your actual address. I got my probe directly from RIPE (so they know my full address), but they only mapped my probe to the ZIP code, not to my actual address. Do you perhaps live within stone throwing distance to the local USPS facility?
NetFixer

2 recommendations

NetFixer to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

Anyone have any pointers on how I should set it up beyond the stock settings?

There is really nothing that needs to be done after you login to the site and register the probe. However, you can make a few additions/modifications to the probe's profile if you wish. I changed the default name of my probe to something that made sense to me, and I also identified the brand/model of router it is behind. None of that really matters, so it is just a matter of personal choice/taste. You can setup a limit on the bandwidth the probe uses; but it uses so little, that on a Comcast connection that is not really needed (perhaps someone on a 128kbps ISDN or DSL circuit might need to do this).

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 recommendations

NormanS to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Interesting that your probe was mapped to your actual address.

I am mapped about halfway between my actual physical address and the nearest USPS facility. Add to that the fact that access to my complex requires key card access, or signing in with security.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Do you perhaps live within stone throwing distance to the local USPS facility?

6 miles to the local PO and I'm not at the center of any zipcode map.
But since my probe was one of the first through the Comcast purchase/distribution and had my address mapped almost EXACTLY (a block or 2.)
I known a lot of this info was indivually entered by volunteers/grad students/interns in amsterdamn and by somebody at Comcast (at least one probe had data transposed with another at had the wrong names in place, it was eventually fixed)
I did suggest to RIPE a slight obsfustication or at least notice to new users that your public probe page MIGHT have too many clues/too correct information to be publicly posted, and mentioned it here in the early posts (this is one long thread) but didn't hear more back than a "thanks for the suggestion"

giving a distinct location might skew the data for some studies, but a mile or so shouldn't hurt much

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

2 recommendations

camper to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

The one suggestion is to go online to your page and slightly adjust (a few blocks to a mile) your mapped location for privacy purposes, the small adjustment shouldn't effect anyone's observations of your data point, but keeps you from advertising world wide, where your front door is EXACTLY....

I put only my town, state and country, i.e., Bethel, CT, USA, in the location field. I didn't put my street or house number. As a result, the probe is mapped near Town Hall, a mile or so from my house.

I didn't see a need to get any more specific with the probe's location.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

2 recommendations

tshirt

Premium Member

That's it but if I only use Snohomish, WA it shows the town 6-8 miles away and non of the localization put me much closer to home.

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Click for full size
Its plugged in!
I see there is a credits gravy train that has been mentioned a few pages back...any way I could jump on that please? :P

It seems to be working pretty well - stays cool to the touch and its making graphs. I put it behind my monitor and hooked it up using a Lucent carrier-grade ethernet cable, rather than the flat one that was included.

The location is sufficiently random, nobody will be coming to my door. My only concern is that the RIPE system has me by my name, but I don't think other users can see the name of the user who started custom measurements.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

2 recommendations

camper

Premium Member

said by Zenit_IIfx:

My only concern is that the RIPE system has me by my name,

Go here:

»access.ripe.net/profile

to change your name, password and/or email address.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA

2 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

Well, I only care if my name is public. It does not seem to be so - if only RIPE and myself can see it that's fine.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

2 recommendations

Coelispex

said by Zenit_IIfx:

Well, I only care if my name is public. It does not seem to be so - if only RIPE and myself can see it that's fine.

Your name will be listed here once RIPE or Google updates the index. Highly recommend you change your name.

»labs.ripe.net/Members/fo ··· :int=100

ymojica
Premium Member
join:2005-09-13
Houston, TX

3 recommendations

ymojica to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
I just sent 7.6M points your way.

Zenit_IIfx
Premium Member
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

Zenit_IIfx to Coelispex

Premium Member

to Coelispex
said by Coelispex:

Your name will be listed

I think I sufficiently anonymized it now, thanks for the heads up.

I wonder why RIPE wont let us use pseudonyms instead of first name/last name. Usernames like here on DSLR work great and still foster open collaboration.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to ymojica

Premium Member

to ymojica
Click for full size
said by ymojica:

I just sent 7.6M points your way.

Thank- you
That brings the bank to an all time high.
Hard to believe how long this thread /project has gone on (1.5 years/30 pages) and still going strong.
I'm thinking of restarting my experiments in January, hoping to get more of the new probe as targets (US has 890 live probes now, almost 12% of the world total and more than any other country) and Comcast has a couple target hosts to use as well as their own experiments running (15-16 million points per month worth)

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to Coelispex

Premium Member

to Coelispex
said by Coelispex:

said by Zenit_IIfx:

Your name will be listed here once RIPE or Google updates the index. Highly recommend you change your name.

Perhaps so, but I don't think that list has anything to do with persons/organizations hosting RIPE Atlas probes. That list seems to be for RIPE Labs members, not RIPE Atlas hosts. I did a search at »labs.ripe.net/Members for my name and the email address associated with my RIPE Atlas probe, and I got no results.

I guess that we will see if in the future RIPE decides to publish that information publicly. For now, RIPE seems to be abiding by their agreement that personal information about RIPE Atlas hosts is not publicly available.
NetFixer

NetFixer to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

I wonder why RIPE wont let us use pseudonyms instead of first name/last name. Usernames like here on DSLR work great and still foster open collaboration.

Perhaps because if they sent your probe to Zenit in Purcellville, VA it might not get delivered?

You can, if you like, assign a pseudonym to your hosted probe as I did.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex to NetFixer

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by Coelispex:

said by Zenit_IIfx:

Perhaps so, but I don't think that list has anything to do with persons/organizations hosting RIPE Atlas probes. That list seems to be for RIPE Labs members, not RIPE Atlas hosts. I did a search at »labs.ripe.net/Members for my name and the email address associated with my RIPE Atlas probe, and I got no results.

I guess that we will see if in the future RIPE decides to publish that information publicly. For now, RIPE seems to be abiding by their agreement that personal information about RIPE Atlas hosts is not publicly available.

My name was under there so yes, it's for RIPE Atlas probes hosters too. I had to change my name.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

2 recommendations

NormanS

MVM

said by Coelispex:

My name was under there ...

As was mine; but which, of the several hundred "mes" that turn up in an Internet search, is the real "me"?
DavidEBSmith
Premium Member
join:2005-12-23
Chicago, IL

2 recommendations

DavidEBSmith to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

I did suggest to RIPE a slight obsfustication or at least notice to new users that your public probe page MIGHT have too many clues/too correct information to be publicly posted, and mentioned it here in the early posts (this is one long thread) but didn't hear more back than a "thanks for the suggestion"

They do obfuscate the location on the public page. Your probe's page will show the precise location you've set if you're logged in, but if you're logged out or visit in a private browser / stealth mode window, it will show a slightly different location. For me, it shows about 1/4 mile from my actual location, which for me should be good enough for anything short of a nuke. Obviously if yours is the only building for miles around, you'd not want to rely on this.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

2 recommendations

jlivingood to Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

to Zenit_IIfx
said by Zenit_IIfx:

I see there is a credits gravy train that has been mentioned a few pages back...any way I could jump on that please? :P

You need some? I have 19.9M credits, which seems like a lot. Happy to send some - PM me the email address associated with RIPE Atlas and how many you need.
jlivingood

3 recommendations

jlivingood to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

Hard to believe how long this thread /project has gone on (1.5 years/30 pages) and still going strong.
I'm thinking of restarting my experiments in January, hoping to get more of the new probe as targets (US has 890 live probes now, almost 12% of the world total and more than any other country) and Comcast has a couple target hosts to use as well as their own experiments running (15-16 million points per month worth)

Maybe it's time to take this to the next level?

Seriously though, I appreciate everyone's enthusiastic support! RIPE Atlas now has over 7,400 probes connected in 163 different countries. And the Comcast network has more measurement probes installed than any other (292), and there are more probes connected in the United States (883) than any other country.

Cool stuff...

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
FYI: It costs about $16 USD to send the probe back to the Netherlands.

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by Harddrive:

FYI: It costs about $16 USD to send the probe back to the Netherlands.

I a sure you can find someone else here who may want it - or send it back to us or bin in.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

I did ask a few posts back and got zero responses. I believe that I got the pinger directly from RIPE.

jlivingood
Premium Member
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

Of interest: We just announced we are partnering with RIPE NCC to sponsor a RIPE Atlas hackathon! Announcement at »corporate.comcast.com/co ··· ackathon and details at »labs.ripe.net/Members/su ··· hon-2015.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood

Deprecating the old measurement UI

»www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/a ··· 843.html

Robert Kisteleki robert at ripe.net
Fri Jan 9 13:41:58 CET 2015

Dear all,

In October last year, we introduced a new UI for browsing and scheduling measurements. For details, see:
»labs.ripe.net/Members/su ··· -tagging

Your feedback about this was predominantly positive, and we’d like to thank everyone who helped this development with suggestions and bug reports.

As stated at the time, we plan to deprecate and eventually remove the old interface (both the UI and the "API" it used). Our timeline is the following:

1. We'll make the new UI the default, and remove links to the old UI from the RIPE Atlas main menu, around 21 January. The old pages will still be accessible if one reaches them from somewhere else, such as a browser bookmark or hard-coded scripts.

2. Around the beginning of March, we'll remove the old pages from the system (/atlas/udm.html and related pages). This step will include the "deep links" that some of our users directly access to schedule and manage measurements from scripts (notably /atlas/*udm*.json).

We'd like to encourage all of our users to switch to the new UI and API in the following weeks, if you haven't already done so.

As always, we're happy to answer any questions or hear any feedback you might have.

Regards, Robert Kisteleki, for the RIPE Atlas team

camper

camper to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood

Re: [Connectivity] Help measure the global Internet!

Implementing new RIPE Atlas Service Terms and Conditions

»www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/a ··· 860.html

Vesna Manojlovic BECHA at ripe.net
Fri Jan 23 14:41:35 CET 2015

Dear colleagues,

As agreed on the MAT-WG mailing list, we are in the process of implementing the new RIPE Atlas Service Terms and Conditions that clearly state the role and responsibilities for the RIPE NCC, RIPE Atlas hosts and users:
»atlas.ripe.net/legal/ter ··· ditions/

This is the implementation plan:

- End of January, existing probe hosts will be notified by email about the upcoming transition to the new terms and conditions.

- From next week (during February), existing users and probe hosts will be presented with a banner when they log in to the RIPE Atlas website, to inform them of the upcoming transition.

- As of 2 March 2015, the new RIPE Atlas Service Terms and Conditions will come into effect; new probe hosts will be asked to agree to the new terms and conditions when applying for a probe; all existing probe hosts will be subject to the new terms and conditions.

Thank you for your feedback and for helping us to refine these new terms.

Regards,

Vesna Manojlovic
Measurements Community Building
RIPE NCC

camper

2 recommendations

camper to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
»www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/a ··· 965.html

From the RIPE Atlas mailing list:

Vesna Manojlovic
Sun Mar 29 23:49:12 CEST 2015

We had the first RIPE Atlas hackathon!

Three days of intensive coding, cooperating, learning, connecting and
having fun (& surviving massive power outage on Friday in Amsterdam) -
- and the results have bee impressive!

Ten final projects have been presented, and four have been chosen as
worthy of the awards:

1. Disco: Combining the visalization of disconnection-events with
localized Twitter feed & live weather data

2. Spatial Bucketing of RIPE Atlas Probes on Map Projections (aka
Picketty — making the global probe selection more equal)

3. Traceroute stability check & BGP+traceroute (two projects sharing the
3rd place)

We had 24 participants & 1 no-show, 6 jury members and 11 support staff
(coincidentally: 42!)

On behalf of the community, we are grateful to Comcast for sponsoring
prizes and travel expenses, hackerspace Technologia Incognita for the
inspiring location on Friday, and to RIPE NCC for the office facilities
during the weekend, staff support, food & drinks & amazing data & tools
& platform of RIPE Atlas.

On behalf of the organizers (RIPE NCC & Comcast), we are grateful to
everyone who took part & contributed, as well as to their family &
employers, who let them get away for the weekend of combined work&fun.

Longer and more detailed report will follow, once we all get some sleep
& collect our notes from tweets, IRC, mailing list & pieces of papers.

Cheers,
Vesna

Kudos to Comcast for helping to sponsor and organize this event.
camper

2 recommendations

camper to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood

New on RIPE Labs: RIPE Atlas WiFi Measurements

»www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/a ··· 401.html

Robert Kisteleki robert at ripe.net
Fri Nov 13 10:34:23 CET 2015

Dear colleagues,

We're thinking about implementing WiFi measurements in RIPE Atlas, and we
want to know what you think. There are several different ways we could do