share rss forum feed

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2

5 recommendations

Help measure the global Internet!

Based in the U.S. and want to help measure the global Internet? There is a program called RIPE Atlas (see »atlas.ripe.net/). It is run from the Netherlands at RIPE NCC, which is building the largest Internet measurement network ever made. RIPE Atlas employs a global network of probes that measure Internet connectivity and reachability, providing an unprecedented understanding of the state of the Internet in real time. There are not many measurement probes in the U.S., so Comcast's Technology R&D Grants Fund (»techfund.comcast.com/) is underwriting an expansion in the U.S. You of course do NOT need to use Comcast as your ISP; RIPE Atlas is measuring the Internet as a whole so any ISP is fine.

If you are interested, my team at Comcast will ship you a RIPE Atlas probe for free. Just sign up at »tinyurl.com/atlasrsvp -- while supplies last.
--
JL
Comcast

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA
Submitted...

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
reply to jlivingood
I'm in Jason.

DrDeke

join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
reply to jlivingood
That sounds like a pretty cool project; I've signed up and hope I'm in time to get a probe.

drh
Premium
join:2008-10-20
Olympia, WA
reply to jlivingood
I'm in too.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3
reply to jlivingood
I'm in! Does this device have to sit between CM and network or can it do its thing over NAT?
--
"I drank what?" -Socrates

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA
said by pflog:

I'm in! Does this device have to sit between CM and network or can it do its thing over NAT?

Works fine behind a NAT. Just plug it into any available Ethernet port.
--
JL
Comcast

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
reply to pflog
The FAQ does a very good job of explaining things. It's worth at least a quick read.

»atlas.ripe.net/about/faq/

Syrup37

join:2009-08-24
reply to jlivingood
I have also signed up

mountainman9

join:2013-03-28
Broomfield, CO
reply to jlivingood
Submitted

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to jlivingood
Thanks! I submitted an app.

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA
reply to jlivingood
Now if we can just get us business users IPv6 to help with that measurement also.

DrDeke

join:2004-05-18
Ypsilanti, MI
Eh, eh??

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

How about with a Sam Knows device?
request submitted, hopefully there are some left to try.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ropeguru
said by ropeguru:

Now if we can just get us business users IPv6 to help with that measurement also.

IPv6 Ripeness is one of the stats they track »ipv6ripeness.ripe.net/ How many CC Business users get signed up from this offer is an unknown,
HOWEVER anyone can signup with RIPE to host a probe
»atlas.ripe.net/get-involved/become-a-host/

workablob

join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jlivingood
said by jlivingood:

Based in the U.S. and want to help measure the global Internet? There is a program called RIPE Atlas (see »atlas.ripe.net/). It is run from the Netherlands at RIPE NCC, which is building the largest Internet measurement network ever made. RIPE Atlas employs a global network of probes that measure Internet connectivity and reachability, providing an unprecedented understanding of the state of the Internet in real time. There are not many measurement probes in the U.S., so Comcast's Technology R&D Grants Fund (»techfund.comcast.com/) is underwriting an expansion in the U.S. You of course do NOT need to use Comcast as your ISP; RIPE Atlas is measuring the Internet as a whole so any ISP is fine.

If you are interested, my team at Comcast will ship you a RIPE Atlas probe for free. Just sign up at »tinyurl.com/atlasrsvp -- while supplies last.

Sounds like fun and for a good cause.

I'm in.

Blob
--
I may have been born yesterday. But it wasn't at night.

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
I'm in...Hope it's not too late

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to jlivingood
So, how does one know if a user who signed up is within the number first 50? Does the signup page go dark after 50 takers?

santy
Don't Follow Me, I'M Lost Too
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Wilmington, IL
reply to jlivingood
Why not.. I submitted a request.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
reply to jlivingood
I'm in! Thanks for letting us know.

mike5026
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Rockford, IL
reply to jlivingood
submitted!

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

said by jlivingood:

How about with a Sam Knows device?
request submitted, hopefully there are some left to try.

I can't see Sam Knows would be a problem unless both the Ripe Atlas probe and the Sam Knows router tried to do tests at the same time and even then I doubt that would cause a problem. Sam Knows is set up to delay the hourly tests if the system is very busy and big downloads are happening at the time the tests are scheduled.

It sounds fun and I signed up when I saw this thread much earlier today.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Mele20:

I can't see Sam Knows would be a problem unless both the Ripe Atlas probe and the Sam Knows router tried to do tests at the same time and even then I doubt that would cause a problem.

I believe the RIPE Atlas Probe uses under 10K/sec. Using both should be fine.

No_Tinyurl

@comcast.net
reply to graysonf
I don't know about the tinyurl.com link going dark after 50 takers (since that domain is blocked by my perimeter firewall). However, I just got through signing up directly with RIPE at »atlas.ripe.net/get-involved/become-a-host/ and my application was accepted even though I do not live in RIPE territory (but perhaps having a Comcast IP address made a difference).

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to jlivingood
Applied yesterday.

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to No_Tinyurl
So RIPE is going to mail the device directly to you from Europe?

No_Tinyurl

@comcast.net
said by graysonf:

So RIPE is going to mail the device directly to you from Europe?

That was the implication in the order conformation email that I received. I guess that I will just have to wait and see if it really happens.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to jlivingood
Does the fact that I haven't received an email confirmation yet, indicate I was too late?

ropeguru
Premium
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

said by jaynick:

Does the fact that I haven't received an email confirmation yet, indicate I was too late?

Have no clue as I have not received anything either and I signed up and posted back 7 minutes after jlivingood See Profile's post.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

reply to jaynick
said by jaynick:

No - it is an indicator of nothing. Most of the team are still traveling back from NANOG. We'll ship stuff in the next week or so.
--
JL
Comcast