uniqs

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Johkal

Premium Member

to Johkal

[Connectivity] Re: Help measure the global Internet!

just the dns, since the others aren't truly static.
My probe always gets it own- the same/64 when my modem get a /60(which is most days, but there seems to be regular maintaince reboots going on a few nights a week here right now, and some day it's a shared /64 for all)

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to voiptalk

MVM

to voiptalk
said by voiptalk:

If you select Static addressing, then you need to enter the required fields (address, mask, gateway, DNS server, etc). If the addresses are left null or are invalid for some reason, then the probe will fallback to DHCP and IPv6 auto config.

I just checked the boxes to take a screen of it.
Johkal

Johkal to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt
Ok, thanks!

YukonHawk
join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

YukonHawk to jlivingood

to jlivingood
My probe finally showed up on my account. It shows that it has been connected since 11/14 when I received it. A lot of the stats are a bit over my head but I will dig in and research more to "edgejamacate" myself. LOL!!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

well a 2nd probe arrived yesterday.
oh what to do?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Offer it to someone else.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I might just bring it to work and plug it in there, but work uses ATT not comcast.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt

Premium Member

It does not matter which provider it attachs to it's another data point (you can put details in the probe description) be sure that attaching it does not violate your companies IP policy

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well I'd idealy want it to benefit the comcast measurements.

also this one didn't come with the ac adapter so I'll have to find a host to plug it into.
isamudaison
join:2012-12-20
Seattle, WA

isamudaison to tshirt

to tshirt
@tshirt: credits transferred
Also, any ideas as to why my probe's ipv6 address suddenly 'died'? probe info page says ipv6 currently unavailable.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

XCOM to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
DarkLogix,

I am in the waiting list.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to isamudaison

Premium Member

to isamudaison
Thanks.
And I've had my v6 disappear at times after lease renewls or power glitches, some times it returns on it own, but more often if more than a few hours a manual power cycle of AT LEAST the probe is needed (or I get tired of waiting )
I've had it happen a few time recently as comcast seem to be doing something, some nights(may be finished now) while adding a new upstream channel and cleaning up some down stream channels (It is better now based on the error rates the modem displays)

I've had it stay up for a month (32 days 5 hours, before last months windstorm, or die after a day or 2) and yet my total downtimes is a very minor percentage.
the TP-link is pretty simple and maybe not quite perfect at handling network bobbles.
isamudaison
join:2012-12-20
Seattle, WA

isamudaison

Thanks tshirt... confirmed 'rebooting' the probe kicked it's ipv6 into working order (looking at my CM logs it does indeed look like I had a t3 timeout which I assume would've tripped it up).

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium Member
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
While I was away the past week two probes showed up. I've attached the Comcast-supplied one and it's up and showing in my probes list as Connected! That was fast. It doesn't show up in the maps yet but one other in the area (AS7922) that was also just connected today does show up so I'm hoping mine will shortly. I'll attach the second one (RIPE-supplied) to my son's network if he is agreeable. If not then I will offer it up here.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt
How are you doing with your credits?

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Click for full size
They keep trickling in, but I can always put more in the warehouse.
Had a couple requests recently for the address
please send them to
tshirtripeprobe@comcast.net
And I will be re-restarting the DLSR experiment tomorrow AM as I didn't get as many assigned as I hoped (asked for 250, got 202, 181-199 responding)
BTW Comcast has 290 probes total currently with 231 available
and the US has 632 available a HUGE jump from when we started (a few dozen before the comcast distributions started)

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

2 recommendations

EG

Premium Member

One million coming your way tshirt

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

tshirt to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
thanks, for those that haven't poked around RIPE too much, some of the "Cases and Analyses" papers are very interesting (be aware that most so far are highly euro-centric so the US isn't featured in many (good task for SOMEONE, data is public, and ANYONE can submit, once registered)) like this one on the decline of 6to4 (and impending extinction of teredo)
»labs.ripe.net/Members/em ··· ase-6to4
(newest study are linked in the right hand column, must be logged in to view--I think)

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt
2 million sent bud!

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Click for full size
BAM!

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
450.00 credits / hour
Account Information

Me Of course, I've only had mine connected since November 15th.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Curious: How long should it take for the probe to show up in my account? Been somewhere around 14 hours since first plugging in and registering. Nothing up yet.
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody to jlivingood

to jlivingood
Got mine last week, up and running. It's linked to Comcast. Not sure yet what to make of it.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to Vchat20

Premium Member

to Vchat20
should show within an hour, Might be worth a restart or powercycle just to see if that helps. Also be sure the MAC matches whats registered in your account, and that your probe can see the interent (should be automatic, but being firewalled is possible.

ctgreybeard
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

I've decided to send my extra probe to one of you guys that wants it. If you would like it then send me ctgreybeard See Profile a PM with your general location (NW Idaho or whereever) and I'll collect requests over the next couple of days. Once I've picked the "winner" (using sooperseekret methods!) I'll get the delivery and ID information from you. Shipping is on me.

The unit is the bare V3 probe with the weird USB cable. You will have to supply your own ethernet cable.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20 to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

should show within an hour, Might be worth a restart or powercycle just to see if that helps. Also be sure the MAC matches whats registered in your account, and that your probe can see the interent (should be automatic, but being firewalled is possible.

Hope I don't sound a bit noobish but with the probe not showing up under 'My Probes', is there another location on the site I can look up the registration I put in for it to double check? The site is just a 'tad' confusing to find some things.

Probe is on all but the second light are steady. Power cycled. I have it in DMZ. Could DNS interception be an issue? I run OpenDNS and have the router set to intercept all requests even to other DNS servers and forward to OpenDNS.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to ctgreybeard

Premium Member

to ctgreybeard
I, too, have a V3 probe available and would be happy to ship it to anyone who wants it. Please feel free to send me a PM with your request.

ctgreybeard
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

ctgreybeard

Premium Member

I'll let you know who I pick to get mine and if you'll do the same for me then we won't send two probes to the same person.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

That works for me. Thanks.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium Member
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX

XCOM to jlivingood

Premium Member

to jlivingood
Guys I would gladly take one of your hand's.