uniqs
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

USG200 recurring issue

I have a USG200 that suddenly (after running over 400 days without issue) is having problems. The WAN1 interface, which is connected to a Comcast SMC cable modem, just winks out: The link light goes out and traffic across it halts.

The corresponding link light also goes out on the cable modem. If I connect the patch cable from the cable modem to my laptop the link light comes on and I have Internet connectivity. If I connect WAN1 on the USG200 to my laptop, no link light.

In all three instances, rebooting the USG200 resolved the issue. Most recently it worked for about 60 hours before recurring.

I've never had a ZyXEL router fail, despite deploying dozens of them over the last 13 years. But it sure seems like this one has an issue with the Ethernet interface on WAN1.

The first time it happened the firmware was out of date. I flashed it up and it was current when the last two incidents happened.

Thoughts?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Do a hardware reset and see if that solves the problem. From your description and observations I first would suspect firmware corruption which a hardware reset would fix -- if the hardware reset does not fix the issue then Call ZyXEL and have the unit RMA'd
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

I moved them over to WAN2 today when it happened yet again. Frequency was rapidly increasing, but all seems well with WAN2. I suspect a hardware failure.
breto
join:2013-03-12
Lake Zurich, IL

breto to lorennerol

to lorennerol
Have you tried a new Ethernet patch cable.

Have you looked at the modem's log? maybe it's the modem's Ethernet interface that's crappy and not the USG?
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

WAN2 did the same thing.

Yes, I've swapped the Ethernet cable and I changed ports on the Comcast SMC cable modem.

I swapped in a spare USG100 on Friday and they've been running fine since.

When I unplugged the Ethernet cable from WAN2 after the last deadlock, the link lights stayed on.

I called ZyXEL and they issued an RMA.

I think, sadly, that I can no longer say I've never had a ZyXEL router have a hardware failure

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to lorennerol

Premium Member

to lorennerol
Well my USG 300s port 4 is toasted. Luckily I have lots of other ports to play with.

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON

Brano to lorennerol

MVM

to lorennerol
Are you sure that the Comcast modem is OK? Or that Comcast didn't apply some config change that may be causing the issues?
lorennerol
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

said by Brano:

Are you sure that the Comcast modem is OK? Or that Comcast didn't apply some config change that may be causing the issues?

Reasonably. I tried two different LAN ports on the cable modem with the same result. The loaner USG100 has been running since mid-day Friday without issue. The USG200 was deadlocking the WAN ports every two hours or so before I removed it.