Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to dib22

Re: NSA Built Back Door In All Windows Software by 1999

"Security Compliance Management Toolkit".

Yes, the security is in compliance with the NSA's wishes.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Cartel

Re: NSA Mining Data In 9 American Multinational Internet Corps.

CNN decided that maybe the reason the tech companies are denying any knowledge of Prism is because they really don't have any knowledge about this and the "theft" of all that data by NSA was done at the telecom level instead. So, CNN queried the major ISPs. Guess what? They all responded with statements EXCEPT for Verizon and AT&T both of which said "no comment". Hmmmm......

»cnnmoneytech.tumblr.com/post/523···to-prism

--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

slajoh01

join:2005-04-23
reply to Juggernaut

Re: Is This Who Runs Prism?

Where can I download the FULL document from OP's post titled PRISM/US-984XN?

Khaine

join:2003-03-03
Australia
reply to Cartel

America is acting like, dictators and thugs do. If any other country was doing this, America would be up in arms about the human rights abuses. Since its the 'land of the free' doing it, its completely justifiable.

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to dib22

said by dib22:

I love googles response title:

What the ...?

quote:
First, we have not joined any program that would give the U.S. government—or any other government—direct access to our servers. Indeed, the U.S. government does not have direct access or a “back door” to the information stored in our data centers. We had not heard of a program called PRISM until yesterday.

Second, we provide user data to governments only in accordance with the law. Our legal team reviews each and every request, and frequently pushes back when requests are overly broad or don’t follow the correct process. Press reports that suggest that Google is providing open-ended access to our users’ data are false, period. Until this week’s reports, we had never heard of the broad type of order that Verizon received—an order that appears to have required them to hand over millions of users’ call records. We were very surprised to learn that such broad orders exist. Any suggestion that Google is disclosing information about our users’ Internet activity on such a scale is completely false.

»googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/what.html

The claim that the FBI and National Security Agency are "tapping directly into the central servers" of the country's biggest technology companies to spy on their users looks ever more suspect.

Most of the major companies have now explicitly denied participating in such a program. Apple, Facebook, and Google have denied all knowledge of it.

An hour ago, Google CEO Larry Page published a blog post blasting the very idea that Google would do this.

And now Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has done the same

»www.businessinsider.com/facebook···y-2013-6

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

said by Cartel:

The claim that the FBI and National Security Agency are "tapping directly into the central servers" of the country's biggest technology companies to spy on their users looks ever more suspect.

If you believe their denials. I'm sure they'd never lie just as the gummint never lies.

After all Director of National Intelligence James Clapper outright lied about the NSA collecting data a few months ago.

»www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-TV/2···mericans

You might also read Karl Bode See Profile's article in the news area of this site.

»Facebook, Google Deny Giving NSA 'Direct Access'

--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

1 edit
reply to Cartel

Really the tragedy is people think they actually have interesting complex lives and are truly individuals or special snowflakes when really they are as predictable as sheep in as field even without any high tech skull drudgery.

»m.nbcnews.com/technology/faceboo···10240840

OK so the NSA likely has a thicker file on me then most people but what does it mean, how does it impact or otherwise influence my life? Has it taken anything away from me or added anything significant? Who has a bigger influence on my life the NSA, Mastercard/Visa, the editors and reporters from where I get my 'news', etc?

Does anyone here know why I use my real name etc here and always have?

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

I think you told us once why you use your real name. But whether you did or not, it should be obvious why you do and why you feel it is more or less necessary for you to do so. Does this mean everyone finds it necessary to use their real names online? Of course not. The savvy will never use their real names and will strongly limit the sort of activities that help reveal who they are. Not everyone has a subscription to Netflix, not everyone uses social media, not everyone has a Google account, not everyone does anything in the cloud or ever will, not everyone has a cell phone. Not everyone uses web mail, not everyone posts "reviews" of purchased items on various websites that sell such items, etc.

That article you linked to assumes everyone is a sheeple either because they are too stupid not to be one or because, like you, they can't realistically avoid it. Not all of us fall into either category but you always conveniently act as though we don't exist when trying to prove your point.

Does the FBI have a dossier on you? If so, your life IS impacted...don't play naive dingbat with me.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

At this point of the discussion(s), it should be painfully clear that the pervasiveness of the spying has been going on for more years than anyone knew. It's probably a hold-over from the McCarthy era.

I have little doubt that the Gov knows everything about who we all are. It's just not that hard to connect the dots anymore. And, aside from not letting people here know who 'you' are, and the advertisers on the 'net, I doubt we're fooling the spooks for a second.

Pandora's Box has been opened for quite a while it seems.
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 edit

1 recommendation

said by Juggernaut:

Pandora's Box has been opened for quite a while it seems.

Agreed. And now that it's open it's very hard, if not impossible, to close it again without some Earth-shattering event(s).

Gummints very rarely if ever relinquish power once they have it. And there's more to a gummint than just it's elected representatives. There's a whole lot of people behind the scenes who don't want to relinquish their power, benefits or whatever.

The NSA is not going to go away. Neither is the IRS, DHS, TSA or any other three-letter agency. They may change names however.

The American people, as a whole, allowed these agencies to be created and expanded. They voted for the people that advocated and did it. For the most part the voters gave no thought whatsoever to the long term consequences. Even now a great many don't care. One day, perhaps sooner than we think, they will.
--

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

reply to Cartel

To pile on even further.

quote:
Analysts at the National Security Agency can now secretly access real-time user data provided by as many as 50 American companies, ranging from credit rating agencies to internet service providers, two government officials familiar with the arrangements said.

Sources: NSA sucks in data from 50 companies

IMO there are probably less than 100 people in the world (i.e. that work at the NSA with top-secret clearances or above) who know how deep the rabbit hole goes. I don't know, reporters don't know, the US President doesn't know and neither do the Congresscritters that "oversee" it all.

"The boys" were let loose long ago and they'll do what "the boys" have always done when allowed to do what they want.
--

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia

1 edit
reply to Link Logger

said by Link Logger:

OK so the NSA likely has a thicker file on me then most people but what does it mean, how does it impact or otherwise influence my life?

That's the question we should all have the answer for if we are to consider what could be allowed to extracted from meta data, and who it would apply to. If Obama wants to reassure the public etc then a clearer interpretation of this needs to occur/develop.
For how long meta data can remain relevant to a person, either accurate or time frame at which you are classed by it.

said by Link Logger:

Who has a bigger influence on my life the NSA, Mastercard/Visa, the editors and reporters from where I get my 'news', etc?

Not forgetting the middle men that trade in personally identifiable meta data. That is a major concern not exposed. I'm sure it exists.
Want intelligence on someone....they have it too.

edit; Think of the apps you install on your to smart for your own good phones.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!
Expand your moderator at work

Cartel
Premium
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Shaw
·TELUS
reply to Cartel

Paul wants to lead Supreme Court challenge to fed's tracking

Sen. Rand Paul said Sunday he wants to mount a Supreme Court challenge to the federal government logging Americans’ phone calls and Internet activities.

»www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/06···s-calls/

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 recommendations

I agree with him. It's about damned time the USSC step in. They are supposed to be the third leg to hold up liberty when the other two go wobbly.

“That doesn’t look like a modest invasion of privacy,” he (Paul) told Fox. “I have no problem if you have probable cause … but we’re talking about trolling through a billion phone records a day.”

Indeed. Bring it on and I'll be glad to join the class-action suit.
--
Keep on dreamin' even if it breaks your heart - EYB

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to Juggernaut

quote:
Either we're headed for a totalitarian state, or there's far more terrorists and terrorism than is being reported.
Yes thats exactly what we are headed for and ITS QUITE SERIOUS!!

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
reply to Cartel

Re: U.S. intelligence mining data from nine U.S. ISP's

said by Cartel:

Microsoft was the first man in.

LOL. Surprising is it?

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Cartel

Next Media Animation (NMA) is mentioning it with humor.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVdpP7xyG8k

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

2 recommendations

reply to Cartel

PRISM has taken over my Facebook account already.
»www.guardian.co.uk/world/edward-snowden
Expand your moderator at work

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
reply to Cartel

Boo! »Poll: 56% Approve of What NSA Is Doing

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

A majority of Americans find government’s secret tracking of data ‘acceptable’
»venturebeat.com/2013/06/10/a-maj···eptable/
»arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013···racking/

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
reply to antdude

What a shocker!

»Re: NSA Mining Data In 9 American Multinational Internet Corps.
--

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to siljaline

quote:
A majority of Americans find government’s secret tracking of data ‘acceptable’
Sad isnt it buddy how they can be LIED TO so easily??

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
reply to Cartel

Clearly, Us agencies need not spy on their citizens but should simply spy on each other, and such things as 911 could have been prevented. Americans dont keep secrets, US agencies do.

psst if anybody asks, stuart forced me to write the above.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

said by Anav:

psst if anybody asks, stuart forced me to write the above.

Huh? Ohhh, you mean my long distance super powers
--

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

I am ready for the spooks Stuart, I eat a bit of chocolate everyday in case they try to poison me with chocolate. It will have to be a damn big dose cause Ive built up quite the tolerance.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Cartel

- This will not go away soon -

86 Civil Liberties Groups and Internet Companies Demand an End to NSA Spying
»www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/06/86···a-spying

Google asks DoJ for permission to publish Fisa requests
»www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20···requests

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to Dude111

Re:  

Some will believe what they want to believe

ashrc4
Premium
join:2009-02-06
australia
reply to Cartel

»nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2013/06···t-prism/
Alternate view and correction.
--
Paradigm Shift beta test pilot. "Dying to defend one's small piece of suburb...Give me something global...STAT!