spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jdevans5

@comcast.net

Why did Comcast do an install like this!?

So I have recently been having wterrible ping spikes and packet loss. I have been on live chat 4 or 5 times and all they have done is reset my modem. This did NOTHING. I have replaced the modem and gotten the same issues. I have also replaced the router twice and still have the problem. So i began to look at my installation to see if anything changed recently and decided to share what it looks like. How could a Comcast tech do an install like this?

»imgur.com/a/nzW7N

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

I don't really see an issue with the install. It's grounded and has water seals on the fittings. Thumbs up.

It looks like you need to remove the dead wiring though.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com | »www.APetForum.com

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1

Is that a mobile home?

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA

No. It's an MDU. I see 2 Meters.

Cjaiceman
Premium,MVM
join:2004-10-12
Parker, CO
kudos:2
reply to jdevans5

I have to agree with ExoticFish, I don't really see anything out of the ordinary here. Everything is up to code, grounded, no "cheap" parts, weather tight, zip ties holding up the wire, nice weather "runoff" slack in the wires so the water doesn't sit on the connectors. Nothing looks out of place. The pole could use a little TLC, but I've seen WAY worse.

About 6 months ago, at the apartment complex I was living at, I had the same issue. Turns out that a neighbor 2 buildings over had plugged a VCR (don't laugh, it's true) into the cable line, and it was backfeeding voltage into the node, causing noise in the system, which gave me the exact same results that you are seeing. Just something to think about, it might be a neighbors equipment, or something in the feeder line. The best thing you can do is get a physical tech out to your home so he can rule out the lines from the home to the pole. If those check out good, then he can escalate it up to the line maintenance team, who can look at the node lines. Also, live chat doesn't do much, calling is MUCH better. I've had way more success by calling rather than the online support, as the online support is outsourced, and only follows the scripts.

Hope this helps a little, and you get your issue resolved.
--
TorDek: "DSLR... Here, were not just experts... were also vindictive bastards..."

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to jdevans5

Whats your question exactly? Looks like you live in a MDU that has possibly muliple providers feeding a bunch of lines that were not installed when the house was built. Some of those photos are of a properly grounded block or of a line that is just attached to a house.
Does your service work? Can you label the photos that you are specificaly concerned with or what the issue is?

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to jdevans5

said by jdevans5 :

So I have recently been having wterrible ping spikes and packet loss. I have been on live chat 4 or 5 times and all they have done is reset my modem. This did NOTHING. I have replaced the modem and gotten the same issues. I have also replaced the router twice and still have the problem. So i began to look at my installation to see if anything changed recently and decided to share what it looks like. How could a Comcast tech do an install like this?

»imgur.com/a/nzW7N

I don't see anything wrong with this install? In fact they grounded the wires! What more do you want?

»imgur.com/a/nzW7N

LOL, J/K bro. Comcast does this all the time and they get away with it so they'll continue to do it. The complaint department is your friend! I think the guys above are dead wrong. If you own and home and take pride in it, then this install makes it look like garbage.

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

cooperaaaron

join:2004-04-10
Joliet, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to jdevans5

MDU's in this area usually have ( 1 - 2 units ) usually have at least a housebox attach to the structure. The wires hanging from the mainline? Well, they shouldn't be, should be connected to a terminator which is connected to the tap. But that does not look to be the case. Looks like there are several old lines just dangling... The whole things looks terrible.....but everything is up to whatever code is par for the area....

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
reply to jdevans5

That hookup may be workable, grounded etc, but the tech who installed it sure can't be proud of the job they did.
It looks like a bag of guts.

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
reply to jdevans5

Is that located in a downtown suburb of New Delhi? Check out the mouse on the top of the meter box in the last photo of the sequence...

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
reply to jdevans5

if the coax that has been stripped down to bare wire is in use/connected id disconnect it. It could be the problem.

pokesph
It Is Almost Fast
Premium
join:2001-06-25
Sacramento, CA
reply to jdevans5

While the wiring is a bit sloppy, it seems functional and complete.

I blame the gnomes under the electrical meters for all your problems.

jdevans5

@comcast.net
reply to mb

Nope. I am in Chicago. That is also not a real mouse. Its a fake one and i have no idea why it is there lol.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL

said by jdevans5 :

Nope. I am in Chicago. That is also not a real mouse. Its a fake one and i have no idea why it is there lol.

To scare off the copper thieves we've been having around here.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jdevans5

Certainly not pretty. Reminds me of when i use to work in a high cable theft area. Ends cut off at the tap and lots of unused cable lines hanging around the house also with ends cut off. FWIW, when i ran into people that hooked themselves up i use to just go around the house snipping at the cable with a pair of dikes. Of course thats when there was actually something to steal coming off the lines. Not saying you were stealing just sayin. Have you had a service tech out to check things?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to jdevans5

said by jdevans5 :

I bet it's there to keep the gnomes company!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to FifthE1ement

said by FifthE1ement:

said by jdevans5 :

»imgur.com/a/nzW7N

I don't see anything wrong with this install? In fact they grounded the wires! What more do you want?

»imgur.com/a/nzW7N

LOL, J/K bro. Comcast does this all the time and they get away with it so they'll continue to do it. The complaint department is your friend! I think the guys above are dead wrong. If you own and home and take pride in it, then this install makes it look like garbage.

5th

That is not a home, that's a MDU with post wiring on VINYL siding. That mess is the OWNERS responsibility to get fixed, we do NOT drill or run wires on that type if place, those are probably Dish/DTV runs hijacked over to comcast. You cannot DRILL it becasue it voids the warranty, the special clips for vinyl siding just pull right back out in 6 months or less, so they are useless, and you cannot SCREW clip them as your putting holes in it, so voiding the warranty. Company policy even if someone already voided it, we don't give them an invitation to claim we did it and sue for new siding. That wiring issue is strictly a tenant/land lord issue and if you don't like his/her answer, then you can move. Never seen one get it cleaned up yet though.

johnfc

join:2002-11-23
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to jdevans5

Gotta love the pole. Looks like the wiring gnomes got a bit carried away. One of the connects must be the one running to Ft. Meade. But if it works. I love the mouse

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to flwpwr

In our area, Comcast treats duplexes similar to single family homes except they run two drops to the tap. I had an underground drop go bad and they replaced it free of charge but the cut corners in doing it.

I also paid to have another outlet installed in the upstairs bedroom that I occupy. As for landlords, I know in Mass that landlords must allow a cable company access to the building if one or more tenants requests cable.

Another thing pertaining to the OP and the wiring is Chicago has an overbuilder and overbuilders tend to use existing inside wiring and connect it to their drop when a customer switches companies. There is four ground blocks in the OPs photos so one set is probably Comcast and the other is an overbuilder.
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner and I currently have DirecTV. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

tigerpaw509

join:2011-01-19
reply to jdevans5

All those wires aren't from comcast.Looks like 2-3 different satellite company's have been installed before.Aerial service from catv and what looks like buried service also.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to ExoticFish

And Gnomes too..

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to jdevans5

That pole wiring is a mess!