how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

In other news...

ATT thinks you'll sign up for contract service, rather than head elsewhere, after you see how much of a better deal contract service is when compared to GoPhone. I'm not sure how many people don't look into other options, but honestly, people in my experience are pretty stupid when it comes to these things. Tell someone that Tracfone/StraightTalk/etc, uses ATT's or Verizon's network, and their eyes glaze over.

Some people will listen to reason that you can get decent service, without the price gouging of the major carriers, others will try to argue that ATT/Verizon's/etc service is somehow superior to a Tracfone or StraightTalk phone.

Interesting fact, StraightTalk/Tracfone/Net10, all use the ATT contract coverage map, which means they actually get more roaming coverage than ATT's own GoPhone service, as well as not having roaming charges, the same goes for Tracfone/Net10 on Verizon's network, versus most other Verizon prepaid services, whether from Verizon's prepaid arm, or another MVNO such as PagePlus Cellular, Tracfone/Net10 does not charge roaming charges, whereas the others on Verizon's network do.

StraightTalk on the Verizon network doesn't offer roaming at all, so go into a roaming area, you get no service, (911 still works in this case, most of the time, if there's any CDMA coverage in the area).

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

I thought Straight Talk stopped selling AT&T SIMs a few months back because they started getting too expensive at wholesale. And AT&T has since dumped part of their share in Straight Talk's parent, America Movil. So Straight Talk is primarily Sprint + Verizon + T-Mobile now.

whiteyonenh

join:2004-08-09
Keene, NH

I was not aware that the ATT Sims were basically not available at all anymore on either StraightTalk or Net10 for BYOD unlimited plans. As recently as a week ago I looked on Net10's site and they still had them. Either way, the point still stands, there's many other MVNO's worth looking into that are cheaper and offer better customer service than ATT's GoPhone.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Well, yes. And you can get Straight Talk on AT&T by getting a GSM Straight Talk smartphone, as it turns out. But it looks like Tracfone is doing everything in their power to prevent you from buying an AT&T SIM kit from them.